I am so offended

metime

Mouseketeer
I was looking on the trip report board and some one posted a honest and relevant report and it saddened me a great deal to see a reply comment on how "9 out of the 10 people" they encountered using ECV's were able to walk in the store an there for are just lazy.

I am really offended that there are people that ignorant. I leave in a few days and now that offensive remark will be stuck in my head should I have to rent an ECV. It is really making less excited to go.

Gosh I am thinking I better not read up on stuff because now I am just bummed out that people can be that offensive.

I can really see where that comment could be offensive to anyone who has someone in their group or themselves that need a to use an ECV! There have been a few times when we have gone with family members who needed to use an ECV at Disney, and I'll let you know they sure needed it! Disney is really tough on people, even some who wouldn't normally use one at home might need one at Disney!

I don't judge people when hangin' at the parks, if you can walk into a store but not around the whole park I think that is understandable!

In regards to that comment: maybe you can think of it as you being the 1 out of 10 that is using it for the right reasons (because really...any reason you use it will be a good reason i'm sure!), and besides...don't let it get you down YOU WILL BE AT DISNEY! :) :banana::banana::banana:

The only person who knows whether they need the ECV is the person using it.

One thing I've seen over the years is that many people think most people using ECVs are lazy until something happens that makes them need one. That's the point where they see the truth - most people using ECVs can get off the ECV, can walk, can move around without the ECV. But, would not able to last a whole day, would be in pain during the day or would be in pain that night or the next day.

Some people run their mouths w/o thinking obviously whoever wrote that comment.
Don't let anyone ruin your vacation. :)

I think of people who don't deal with special needs or disabilities in their daily life like people who think they know all about parenting before they have kids. Truthfully, the person who made this comment, and others like them, really don't have a clue. Unfortunately, I don't think most people are aware of things like accessability issues until it becomes a problem for them. Most of us are just too self absorbed nowadays.

On the other hand, like pp's have said, please don't let it ruin your vacation; heck, once I'm there I'm so busy having fun with my kids that I honestly don't think about whether someone is wondering if I really need my ECV or not.

Unfortunately there are many ugly comments here (and some in real life at WDW) of that nature.

I don't think that people understand how difficult it is to use ANY assistive device, even something as simple as a sling or brace can be uncomfortable and unpleasant.

I have done as you propose and have reduced my reading time here drastically to avoid the ignorant comments. Trying to educate people is sometimes futile, and as others mentioned until they find themselves or their loved ones in such a situation they may not realise how judgemental and negative those comments are. I do feel sorry for them because it may be a harsh awakening.

For me it has helped to realise that there is DISWorld and then there is RealWorld. The good news is that in RealWorld things seem to be a little more pleasant and a little less filled with drama. If I can keep the two seperate, the comments here do not bother me as much as they did in past. There seems to be a few more friendly and considerate people in RealWorld.

Focus on yourself and your strengths, and realise that the vast majority of people in real life won't notice every detail about you, and won't judge you.

I saw that post and I am with you. I do not need a wheelchair or ECV regularly, just when I go someplace where I will be walking all day. My back and knees are awful. The time before last, we went to MK and I was trying to get out of the wheelchair to board Peter Pan's Flight. My back had locked up from sitting in the chair (ironically a side effect of being in the wheelchair all day is my back gets worse, but my knees don't suffer:rolleyes:), I overheard someone say "...just because she's FAT".

I admit, I'm overweight but that's more side effects of my knees and being more sedentary...I used to play basketball and blew out my knees playing...once I couldn't play anymore, I got heavy. I wasn't being lazy, I was in pain. We did all 4 parks that day. I had even tried going without, but I was miserable and my poor DH was having to stop every few feet to assist me. When I started crying and holding my knee, he ran to Gs and got me a wheelchair without a word of complaint.(on a side note, my DH is awesome)

ireland_nicole is right, people will never understand what's its like until they themselves have mobility issues (which I hope they never have to experience). Frankly, I enjoyed meeting other people using wheelchairs and ecvs on the elevators...we had a blast :cool1:

10616_152047783912_659933912_2478603_6477185_n.jpg

Here's what I don't get...

Okay, so let's be honest and admit that some of the people using ECVs/wheelchairs/GACs/whatever don't really need them (though I suspect that that proportion is much less than stupid posters like that think).

So what? Really, does it make that much of a difference in the lives of others? Even if some people manage to scam FOTL (and I know that GACs are supposed to work like this, but we also know that, for some people they do). So, I might wait a few minutes longer than I would have otherwise. Is that really such a huge deal? No. Why waste your time trying to work out who is "worthy" to use assistance and who isn't?

I'd much rather "suffer" (and I use that term loosely) by a few people cheating the system than make it such that those who do need the help cannot get it.

You really just need to ignore people's comments when it comes to accessibility issues. I have seen many times on these boards where people judge people without having all the information. I have also seen posters ask about the GAC card only to have another person post saying "You do not need a GAC card!" Um, excuse me that is up to the family and CM to decide. My daughter has Down syndrome and we get the GAC card everytime because it is in our and other guests best interests for us not wait in the standard queue area. On almost every trip, there is at least one instance where people will give us dirty looks for entering the alternate entrance. At first it use to bother us, but now I just say $@%! them. In most parts of life people with disabilities are at a disadvantage compared to others, why should they be when they are on vacation?

I think that people pick an easy target and decide to judge.

I guess it never occurred to people that not being able to walk can lead to weight gain. I had to take a ton of steroids, eat as much as possible, and drink Booosts when ever I could after surgery. I was not able to do physical therapy for 6 months. While I am not overweight now I was and it wasn't something I did voluntarily.

I just think people shouldn't be able to discriminate like that. If it were any other group of people being called lazy soley based on their outward appearance then there would have been outrage but I guess there are just some targets that are seen by the general public as OK to attack.

Don't let it get you down! I have learned that people that make remarks like that usually get hit in the face with the same problem down the road, either with them or a friend/family member.

I do have to say though, last August we encountered numerous guys on ECVs at Epcot. We were in line in Mexico for a margarita and 2 of the guys got in line behind us. My husband started talking to them and we found out that the group all rented ECVs because they were too buzzed to walk in the heat. That, too me, is pushing it a little, but really, who am I to judge. As long as they didn't run us over, who really cares.

We get a GAC for my DD2. She has heart and lung disease, but you would never know by looking at her. We had numerous dirty looks by vacationers while we were there and even my boys (6 and 8 at the time) noticed it. That is when my 8 year old would start talking about her open heart surgeries and angioplasties. I just get so bothered because she has been dealt a hard hand and can't have any advantages without getting dirty looks. So not fair, but we deal.

Don't let this ruin your trip. Drive your ECV with pride and if someone asks why you have it, tell them you are too buzzed to walk. Knock their socks off!

I agree with the pp's! Why should it matter what other's think anyhow? And really, if a person had a choice on whether or not they needed the equipment to get around the park, I think most would choose not to(if they coule). Afterall, for the rides that have a seperate entrance for these purposes, you miss the cool stuff in the queue etc.! I would think the the person using the ECV has more of a "hassle" than people having to wait for them!!!

Here's what I don't get...

Okay, so let's be honest and admit that some of the people using ECVs/wheelchairs/GACs/whatever don't really need them (though I suspect that that proportion is much less than stupid posters like that think).

So what? Really, does it make that much of a difference in the lives of others? Even if some people manage to scam FOTL (and I know that GACs are supposed to work like this, but we also know that, for some people they do). So, I might wait a few minutes longer than I would have otherwise. Is that really such a huge deal? No. Why waste your time trying to work out who is "worthy" to use assistance and who isn't?

I'd much rather "suffer" (and I use that term loosely) by a few people cheating the system than make it such that those who do need the help cannot get it.

If someone chooses to pay the large fees for an ECV and then deal with all the hassles involved (and I would think that it is more hassle than most people think) without having a 'need' for one other than to 'scam' the system, I really don't care. They are obviously going to great lengths for very little gain, and as you say, it really doesn't impact most of the rest of us. (I for one am having trouble grasping that every single WDW bus has multiple ECV passengers each with 12 family members with them, as some here would make it appear :rolleyes: )

I suspect that more people with needs visit WDW because it is easier to vacation there than elsewhere. For years people here complained about Disneyland Paris and lack of access. That has changed dramatically over the recent years, and whereas in past I might see one wheelchair user (and zero ECV users) in a day, now I see them throughout the day. That is significant progress, and hopefully it will not come to the point where people there are whinging about the 'scammers' like they do at WDW. ANY improvement in access should be applauded, and if it means that a few people take advantage, it really doesn't negatively impact most other guests.

I never understood being jealous of those needing assistance, as we see in so many posts. I cannot fathom being jealous of someone who has far more challenges than I.

And yes, there is a weight/activity correlation - of course there is. Illness impacts everyone differently; some people lose a dramatic amount of weight, others are relatively stable, and others gain. No two illnesses or injuries or people are the same, and everyone will respond differently.

OP, if I remember correctly, you have had some incredible achievements recently. Celebrate those, be proud of yourself, and disregard the ignorant comments.

Thanks! You guys are really supportive. It just really is silly to think of how many people have their own rediculous mental check list for assessments of strangers and their needs.

I would rather have my disability on even the worst days than to walk around as misinformed and ignorant as a lot of other people do.

I read that thread too and it saddened me also. Please don't let it bother you. Some people just don't understand and don't even want to try and understand. I have fibromyalgia and although I don't need a wheelchair yet I may someday. I look "normal", but nobody knows that I am in pain 24/7. Why anyone would rent a wheelchair who doesn't need it and only wants it to avoid lines is beyond me. They obviously never had to deal with any problems. My cousin was in a wheelchair all his life and my uncle and aunt would have given anything to help him out of it. My daughter is a special ed teacher and it gets to her too. The parents of "her kids" would happily wait in loooong lines if their children were not in wheelchairs. Don't let a few fools ruin your vacation.

Enjoy The Magic!!

There are people who are just plain ignorant.

I myself have a hearing impaired daughter. I had to make a decision along time ago that when I heard someone referred to as "being deaf" as in an overheard conversation- " I keep beeping my horn at the idiot who must have been deaf....". (You get the picture.)... to just ignore it and carry on.;)

I would like to share this little story: I was with my DM,DD, DS and my kids a few yrs back. My DM uses a wheelchair. We both had rentals and went to the MK. My mom has 2 handicapped parking tags and I used one as well BECAUSE, my DD and DS were leaving to go back to the hotel before the rest of us. That left my mom with me. I would never take advantage otherwise. Actually, that was probably the only time we did park together. ANYWAY, when myself and mom and kids left later someone had keyed the side of the car. I will always wonder if it was someboby who thought I was taking advantage and I can see how that could be misconcrued.

It was a rental car and ended up costing me a small fortune:scared1::sad2:

People should not rush to judge!!!!

You can't control what others say, but I absolutely don't have to listen to it.

I've done ECVs on occasion and I was so happy to be able to accomplish more. My hubby could not do it without an ECV at WDW. No one is going to stop me from having my vacation at WDW.

I'm overweight and so is hubby, now but we used ECVs when we were normal weight, too. There are reasons we need them in a place like WDW. If someone wants to call me lazy for using an ECV then I'll just ask if they are jealous they can't afford one? I'm only kidding here; because, I wouldn't even give this person my time. Now, if someone harrassed me about it, I would get a Disney employee very fast.

I refuse to be bothered by others who really don't understand.

I looked into getting an ECV last year due to an acute condition. Nowhere did it say that you had to prove any type of disability. Anyone can rent one of these. I guess I dont get why it's a problem for some folks. If seeing someone on a scooter makes them so jealous why not get one themselves?

I'm hurt by the people who say children with autism are just spoiled. Sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter