• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am renting DVC points. What can I expect?

TIGGERSMOM

<font color=blue>And now for something completely
We are renting points for a BCV studio woth preferred view. This is our first tme doing this. I am just wondering what kind of benefits this provides for us.

I have heard evrything from free parking to reduce pass price. So just trying to get it straight.

Thanks in advance.

Don't be too dissapointed in the view, there is no such thing as a 'prefered' view at BCV.

Actually, as a renter, you are not entitled to any of the perks offered to DVC members. In reality, your ID card will most likeley say "DVC Member" on it and that will suffice for ID for most of the discounts. There are no discounts on passes, except for 10% off UMP. There are many resturuants that offer 10% or more discounts. This list is available on the mebers only DVC site, it is also handed out to members as they check in. You may or may nt recieve one at check in.....I would guess that you would.

As a renter you will receive "DVC Member" on your key card. You can use that for all discounts offered to members, you will receive a list of all the discounts for the time you are there.

This is true, for now, it doesn't change the fact that renters are specifically excluded from being eligible for DVC discounts.

But your card will probably say DVC Member and unless they fix this whole in their system before your trip, you probably won't have a problem getting the discounts.

does is say somehwere that you are not entitiled to the discounts??? I personally don't think a renter should get them, and I was shocked when we rented that are card said DVC Member, and were given the list. But I also don't understand why my membership card says I have been a member since 9/01 when we actually finalyy closed on our resale on 1/03?? I think Disney has a lot of glitches in the system!!!

Also, please be aware that the housecleaning won't be coming in every day to clean. You will have trash and towel day and depending on how long you are staying, you will have a cleaning.

Originally posted by want2buydvc
does is say somehwere that you are not entitiled to the discounts??? I personally don't think a renter should get them, and I was shocked when we rented that are card said DVC Member, and were given the list. But I also don't understand why my membership card says I have been a member since 9/01 when we actually finalyy closed on our resale on 1/03?? I think Disney has a lot of glitches in the system!!!

It's in the member guidebook. I'm not sure where it's at in the current one, but the one I have from 1999 says:

"When a Member uses his or her Vacation Points to reserve a Vacation Home on behalf of a non-member, and the Member does not charge any rental or other fees to the non-member for the Vacation Home, the non-Member may be eligible for Member priviledges and benefits that a Member would normally receive during his or her stay in a Vacation Home. Member privileges and benefits cannot be extended to non-members who rent Vacation Homes from Members."

In reality, DVC has no way of knowing if you charged for rental. I'm not even sure if the front desk knows if the name on the reservation is a member, just that it's a DVC reservation.

But I also don't understand why my membership card says I have been a member since 9/01 when we actually finalyy closed on our resale on 1/03??

Did you purchase a resale? If so, your membership dates from the original contract, not when you purchased.

The "rule" is that if a member takes compensation for a reservation then the "renter" is not entitled to membership privileges. If a member "gifts" a friend or relative with a trip using DVC points, those people are entitled to all privileges with the exception of getting a member cash discount on rooms. The problem is how does DVC know what really happens? The rules are based on an honor system requiring members to tell DVC they have rented their points. Some members do actually let DVC know but it's probably more costly to try to sort out the few honest folks than to just let everyone "slide"....at least for now.

Tiggersmom, you are going to have an awesome time! The BCV is a great hotel in an excellant location.

You will be able to use the Storm Along Bay pool since you are staying at the BCV. It is a great pool with a sand bottom.

Your studio will have a microwave, a small under counter frig, a coffee maker, and a toaster. If you are renting a car, you will have somewhere to keep your groceries cold. If you are using a towncar service then you can have a 30 minute grocery store stop (must be reserved in advance)

As a guest staying on property, you will have a permit for parking in the parks. There is valet parking at the BCV, there is a charge per day. With the villas located where they are, you may prefer parking by the villas. There is close access to the villas from the parking lot.

Hope this answers some of your questions. If you have any more, please let us know. You will have a great time there!:D

Originally posted by Pumbaa_
As a guest staying on property, you will have a permit for parking in the parks. There is valet parking at the BCV, there is a charge per day. With the villas located where they are, you may prefer parking by the villas. There is close access to the villas from the parking lot.

Again, a member benefit that should not be extended to paid renters is free Valet parking at DVC resorts. If I go to one of the DVC resorts to visit/whatever I just flash the DVC card and the fees are waived (although you should still tip).

Hey Tiggersmom!! So nice to see you over here on the DVC Board!

I will be trying out the BCV myself in June for the first time. Let me know if you will be around there then and maybe we can get together!

Who knows, you may get "hooked" and end up buying into DVC!! A great move for any and all WDW lovers..hehehe!

Just one thing everybody has been forgetting to mention :)

You will have a GREAT room with plenty of space to relax and enjoy the trip.

Mike

Thanks to all who answered my questions. I appreciate the info.

Carol - this is a trial run. We are thinking of buying in. I am hoping that he sees the benefits and how nice it is to have more amenities.

Originally posted by TIGGERSMOM
We are thinking of buying in. I am hoping that he sees the benefits and how nice it is to have more amenities.

Good luck - it worked for me. We rented OKW points in Nov. 2002, came home & immediately bought a resale there. Can't wait for our first trip home this coming Nov.

You will have a great time.

As far as any priveleges, the person we rented from told DVC that we were their guests so we were able to get all the priveleges. Whether this should or shouldn't be done is not for me to decide. The only "privelege" we used was the valet parking at other DVC resorts & we "rented" videos one night, which are free if you are a member.

Have fun & again, good luck. My DH was very skeptical, but upon walking through the doors he said, "wow, this is great" & the next day he was on the Internet checking The Timeshare Store. I was elated. :bounce: :Pinkbounc It couldn't have been more perfect for this Disneyholic!!

You can expect a strong feeling of pixie dust to come over you!

We stayed at Vero Beach on cash and left members. Who doesn't believe in magic?

LOL!
We didn't even rent points or pay cash...
We stayed at the SWAN and were close enough to get hooked!
You'll have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter