I am PANICKING!! HELP!!

ILoveMagic

DIS Veteran
I read in the paper this morning that Delta's pilots are possibly going to strike if an agreement isnt made soon! Of course the week they plan to strike is the week i am flying to Disney! :scared1: I called WDW travel this morning to add travel insurance to my package (just in case) . My question is what the heck am i going to do if they strike? Will they put us on another airline? Will i have to pay additional costs?? Has anyone ever had this happen to them over the years?? :confused3 I need advice!

thanks

EEEEEKKK! When are they supposed to strike. I'm also supposed to fly Delta May 6th.

According to the "Cincinnati Enquirer" April 4th! We leave on the 9th and come back on the 14th!

Will they put us on another airline?

I don't think so.

Will i have to pay additional costs?? Has anyone ever had this happen to them over the years??

Yes if you fly another airline. Hopefully you will get a refund from them.

Good luck.

Delta does not like to give refunds!!! My aunt and uncle and my dad were all suppose to go to New Orleans then the hurricane struck they decided to go to Vegas. Well my Aunt and Uncle who had Delta could not get a refund. Delta told them that had a year to use there voucher. (Delta had no flight open they day they were going to leave for Vegas). My dad on the other hand got a refund and a cheaper flight to vegas. I would call Delta and ask about there refund policy....

Good Luck!!!!

We had flown to San Francisco when the Northwest pilots went on strike in 1998. Northwest arranged for us to come home on a different airline (which turned out better for us because they got us a direct flight whereas with our NW flight we would have had to change planes). We did not have to pay anything extra.

I hope they settle before the strike so you don't have to worry about this. What a way to start a vacation!

Audrey

April 15th is the official arbitration deadline so those of you going before that will probably be fine. The rest of us might be up a creek. I'm desperately trying to change our flights now because I don't want to find out 10 days before our trip that we have no flights. Apparently, after 3 days of strike other airlines have to take you on standby for $50 but Delts has so many passengers, they're saying other airlines wouldn't be able to handle the overflow.

I called Delta and they said they are doubtful that the pilots will strike but I'm sure they don't want people to cancel. I'm really at a loss for what to do and just very upset about the whole thing.

You'll most likely be fine...think of how many times you've heard about a possible airline strike over the past ten or fifteen years, and how many there actually have been (I can't think of any!). The media tends to over-dramatize airline news, as I'm sure you've noticed. I was a United flight attendant for 13 years~never experienced a strike, but I can tell you with fair certainty that if your flight was cancelled for any controllable reason (staffing issues, mechanical problems), you would most likely be put on another airline if there was no option of taking another Delta flight. We sometimes served passengers who'd been displaced from cancelled flights at other airlines. Hope this helps give you a little peace of mind!

Thanks jenny. I e-mailed a friend who was also a flight attendant (her dh is a pilot). They feel that pilots won't strike because Delta will fold if they strike, and the airline won't let them strike for the same reason. Striking would mean 100% loss of salaries and benefits and the pilots are just tryingt o gett he maximum they can. Delta got their interest relieved yesterday so that gives them a fair bit more for negotiating. Can you tell I've thought about this too much? Dh says not to worry ebcause we're going, even if we have to go standby or drive from another airport to go standby. I am, by nature, a worrier, and I'll be nervous wreck from now til our trip date.

I just read today that Delta pilots have voted to go on strike... but they did not announce at the time when it was effective. We leave May 21 for our first ever trip to Disney.... NOW WHAT DO I DO? :confused3 :scared1:

I'm interested in this also. Our trip is not until Nov. but we are booked to fly Delta as well.

Any updates?
I heard if they do go on strike - it will mean a shutdown for Delta. They won't be able to financially handle it.
We fly to WDW on April 29th via Delta... I'm gettin nervous about this whole situation. This is something even Disney Magic Pixie Dust can't fix.....

I have never had this happen (strike) but have had cancelled flights. Delta does not like to give refunds as another posted stated so do check their refund policy. I'm hoping this will not happen - what a way to start a vacation!

Also, original poster I noticed that you wrote Cincinnati Enquirer. Neighbor here to your south as I live in Northern Kentucky. Small world! :)

Debra

This thread will most likely be moved to the Transportation board, where you will find many discussions about this topic. Good luck!

kydeb1346 said:
I have never had this happen (strike) but have had cancelled flights. Delta does not like to give refunds as another posted stated so do check their refund policy. I'm hoping this will not happen - what a way to start a vacation!

Also, original poster I noticed that you wrote Cincinnati Enquirer. Neighbor here to your south as I live in Northern Kentucky. Small world! :)

Debra

Debra,
I live in the Eastgate area, probably about 15 minutes from Northern KY!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter