I am liking eBay less and less these days.

DawnM

DIS Veteran
The last 4-5 eBay transactions have had issues.

The latest was me being sent a product that was NOT as described, clearly their error.

I emailed them and they said to return the item and they would reimburse me for the PURCHASE price.

Um, it is a $20 item and will cost around $8 to ship back. Your obvious error, you pay for shipping.

This is a power seller and a company, not an individual.

I emailed back and told them that I would not pay for shipping. They haven't responded in 3 days, although I know it is Thanksgiving.

It is maddening.

Yes, that's the official policy, they you have to pay return shipping, and any shipping charge is not refunded. But, file a claim through eBay and they might pick up the shipping by sending you a shipping label.

File a claim with ebay as significantly not as described (SNAD) and ebay's official policy is that the seller will pay for return shipping. However, I have not had that experience.

This situation is a good reason not to bid on small items from foreign sellers.

However, I have not had that experience.
What experience did you have?
"I have not yet had the need or occasion to file such a claim." is a suitable answer.

Last edited:
When one of my purchaser's filed a claim for an item as sold "Not as described" (even though her email told me she just didn't like it), I had only two options: let her keep the item plus send her a refund, or pay for shipping, then when she sent back the item, I would send her refund. (Or dispute it, but that's an ordeal I chose not to bother with). There was no way for me, as the seller, to NOT pay the shipping if I wanted the item back. I would recommend that if the item is really not as described, file it all through ebay. All communication should be through ebay and the ebay process should protect you including generating the shipping label and tracking it.

This situation is a good reason not to bid on small items from foreign sellers.

What experience did you have?
"I have not yet had the need or occasion to file such a claim." is a suitable answer.

I purchased an item on ebay that turned out to be counterfeit. Had I known it was counterfeit, I would not have purchased it. I filed a claim and even though the seller had a "no return policy" the seller offered a refund of my purchase price if I returned the item at my own expense. There was no way to escalate it through eBay to get the seller to pay for return shipping. Granted, shipping was less than $5 and the item was less than $20.

And on the flip side, sellers have issues with purchasers. DH sold a brand new never been opened Wii U still in the original box and the purchaser complained it was not working and sent him back a used piece of broken junk instead of the new shiny new one they received. EBay had him return the seller's payment without shipping. He has since learned to open everything and post a pic of the serial number to avoid that type of rip-off again.

And on the flip side, sellers have issues with purchasers. DH sold a brand new never been opened Wii U still in the original box and the purchaser complained it was not working and sent him back a used piece of broken junk instead of the new shiny new one they received. EBay had him return the seller's payment without shipping. He has since learned to open everything and post a pic of the serial number to avoid that type of rip-off again.

Oh wow, that completely stinks. I am sorry.

eBay typically sides with the buyer from what I have seen recently. I rarely sell on there anymore.

However, I have been majorly screwed over in buying......but eBay has stepped in on those occasions.

Today was the last day to dispute with eBay. I sent an email and eBay has sided in my favor.

I had a weird situation with eBay this week. Ordered DS a case for his iPad mini (Christmas gift). Case arrives yesterday with an Amazon packing slip. I went to eBay to track the package and it says it was delivered in Florida on Friday. But I live in Virginia. None of it makes any sense to me but I have the case so I guess I should just forget about it.

I had a weird situation with eBay this week. Ordered DS a case for his iPad mini (Christmas gift). Case arrives yesterday with an Amazon packing slip. I went to eBay to track the package and it says it was delivered in Florida on Friday. But I live in Virginia. None of it makes any sense to me but I have the case so I guess I should just forget about it.

They drop-shipped it, probably using an Amazon prime account for free shipping. Not technically against Ebay's rules, but still annoying. Plus, it was probably cheaper on Amazon than what you paid for it.

OP, glad it worked for you. Ebay is useless these days. I had 3 not as described purchases in a row last year and decided to quit buying. Quit selling after they changed the rules and required sellers to take returns for any reason. In a 2 week period I had so many items returned (I sold clothing, these were party dresses, so wear and return was a huge problem even before the change) for ridiculous reasons that I gave up. My last sale, I told my husband as I was packing the dress up to ship that I just ought to save the buyer and myself the trouble, send her an email saying I'm sorry she didn't like the dress and refund her.

They drop-shipped it, probably using an Amazon prime account for free shipping. Not technically against Ebay's rules, but still annoying. Plus, it was probably cheaper on Amazon than what you paid for it.

Makes sense. It was cheaper on Amazon but I had an eBay gift card and am not prime. At least I understand what happened.

Today was the last day to dispute with eBay. I sent an email and eBay has sided in my favor.

That's great eBay sided with you! I had such an issue in October. I bought a pair of NWT shorts for my son. He will only wear a particular brand and style so I am very familiar with them. The listing had the measurements and they were the same as what he already had here at home. My DS is 12 yo. The shorts I received looked like they were for a 5yo. They were tiny. I contacted the seller and asked if I could return them. She was a complete loony lady and kept telling me I was measuring them wrong. She wanted me to send her pictures of my son with a tape measure around his waist!!! I opened a dispute with eBay and sent pictures of the shorts with a tape measure showing the size. They sided with her and said that the shorts were exactly as described!!!!! So I took it PayPal and copied all her wacky eBay messages into my claim. They sided with me and I got my refund and the seller was out the shorts and the money.

My wife abandoned her eBay account because eBay sided with the buyer in a dispute when it was completely unfounded. The person refused delivery of the package - it came back marked "Return to Sender" - and then opened a claim for "item not as described." Which they could not possibly have known since they didn't even open the box. Yet eBay still sided with them. eBay refunded the buyer their purchase price and then tried to collect the funds from my wife. She refused to pay and her account got suspended. So now she just uses mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter