I am FREAKING out..I just stepped on a ......

Ok you guys, Iv'e now got the biggest case of heebie jeebies!!!!:eek: We moved into new construction here in N. Texas and have a spider problem. I have a pest control contract and they told me about the new construction thing and how the spiders and mice could be an issue for quite a while. Luckily haven't seen or heard any mice (yet). :rolleyes1 BUT THEY NEVER SAID A WORD ABOUT SCORPIONS!!!!!!!! :scared1: I guess I should have asked when I kept seeing scorpions listed as one of the pests mentioned in all the yellow pages adds. :confused3 Now I'm just really creeped out because I hate those danged things more than anything and you should see how I freak :scared1: when I see a spider.... Ha.. Ha... I hate to think what will happen if I run into a scorpion!!!!!:scared: :scared: :scared:

Time to get a cat!

For those who don't know, cats are the only animal that are not hurt by a scorpion sting. From what I have heard, the antivenom for a scorpion sting uses cat urine or blood or something.

I live in Arizona and will always have a cat.

The day I step on a scorpion in my garage is the day I realize its time to move.

Time to get a cat!

For those who don't know, cats are the only animal that are not hurt by a scorpion sting. From what I have heard, the antivenom for a scorpion sting uses cat urine or blood or something.

I live in Arizona and will always have a cat.

After DS was stung we adopted a cat. We haven't seen any scorpions since :thumbsup2

The day I step on a scorpion in my garage is the day I realize its time to move.

I don't think you have much to worry about in Connecticut. I used to live in Wilton. But, we did pick lots of ticks off of us. Thankfully we never got Lyme disease (I used to get the ticks tested through town hall and they all came back negative.)

I don't think you have much to worry about in Connecticut. I used to live in Wilton. But, we did pick lots of ticks off of us. Thankfully we never got Lyme disease (I used to get the ticks tested through town hall and they all came back negative.)

I HATE ticks...we pulled several off my dog this past season and my son had one in his head in late fall. My dog did get Lyme Disease...she's ok now, but it was like the invasion of ticks this past year. Gross, gross little creatures.

Now the scorpion thing has me wondering...am I from another planet? I thought you could die from a scorpion bite?

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:
when we lived in houston i found a scorpion in our garage and i screamed for my mom! i was like 9. it scared the crap out of me. i almost had a heart attack. once we experienced that we moved. far far away! i hate scorpions. :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :faint: :crazy2: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

ACK!!!!! That would have freaked me out. Luckily I live in Canada and don't have to worry about scorpions. We do have big spiders though - ugh. Hate those too.

I HATE ticks...we pulled several off my dog this past season and my son had one in his head in late fall. My dog did get Lyme Disease...she's ok now, but it was like the invasion of ticks this past year. Gross, gross little creatures.

Now the scorpion thing has me wondering...am I from another planet? I thought you could die from a scorpion bite?

It's like bee stings. Some people are just allergic. There hasn't been a scorpion death in many years because even if allergic, they can usually treat the person before the sting kills them.

Very. Use to see them in the boonies when I lived in Foat Wuth. Went to stomp on one and the next thing I knew it was on my chest.

This would have put me in a loony bin on sedation for the rest of my life. :scared1:

I actually stepped on a scorpion with bare feet a few years ago. It felt like I had stepped on a lit cigarette. I went to the energency room because I was sure that I was dying and the staff had a good natured chuckle at my expense. Apparently it is like going to the emergency room for a bee sting when you are not allergic. I still see scorpions in my house in Puerto Rico sometimes and I try to remind myself that it is no worse than seeing a bee. Doesn't help much though. They are just creepy.:eek:

Found this little nugget of info on the web.

The scorpion which is responsible for the most human deaths is the Androctonus australis, or fat-tailed scorpion of North Africa. Since A. australis injects quite a bit more venom into its prey, it is the most deadly to humans. Human deaths normally occur in the young, elderly, or infirm; scorpions are generally unable to deliver enough venom to kill healthy adults. Some people, however may be allergic to the venom of some species, in which case the scorpion's sting can more likely kill. A primary symptom of a scorpion sting is numbing at the injection site, sometimes lasting for several days. Scorpions are generally harmless and timid, and only voluntarily use their sting for killing prey or defending themselves. Generally, they will run from danger or remain still.

Scorpions are able to regulate how much venom is injected with each sting using striated muscles in the stinger, the usual amount being between 0.1 and 0.6 mg. There is also evidence to suggest that scorpions restrict the use of their venom using it only to subdue large prey, or prey that struggles. This is likely because it is expensive in terms of energy for a scorpion to produce venom, and because it may take several days for a scorpion to replenish its venom supply once it has been exhausted.[2][3]

s_maurus_palmatus5.jpg

I read a story the other day about a guy on a plane who felt something on his leg under his pants. Turned out it was a scorpion and it had bitten him twice. :scared1: I guess it crawled on the plane at a stopover.

Story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16559171/

Omg! This is not what I needed to read at this time! I'm in Denmark and will be flying home in a couple of weeks....and I do NOT want a Scorpian crawling up my pants! Oh my! I think I shall stay in Denmark forever! :goodvibes

I have lived in Texas my whole life, and until we moved into a brand new home 7 years ago, had never seen a scorpion inside the house ever! Apparently they are extemely common in new construction - for awhile, we were seeing on the average of 1 a day before the pest control folks finally got them under control. Now we hardly ever see them.

I got stung one time (in bed, during the night - now THAT will wake you up in a hurry!) and it did hurt like heck! But only for a little while and by the next morning, the pain was gone. I decided I'd rather be stung by a scorpion than chewed up by chiggers, because those things make me miserable for days!

I know that's my zodiac sign, but I wouldn't want to see one in person. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter