I am Back! And Possibly planning a trip to Disney

JºoºhnG

DIS Lurker but getting out a little more often now
It has been a few years since I have posted here and also awhile since we have been to Disney. We both have health issues and my wife is now in a wheelchair. We are hoping to plan a trip to Disney World with our daughter her husband and our Grandson before we are unable to do anymore travelling...Any tips people may have about travelling to Disney in a wheelchair including... best accessible hotels, airlines, van rentals etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Disney world is very accessible to people in wheelchair there are a few rides you can stay in your wheelchair for. and all disabilities.

Does your wife have her own wheelchair or would you need to rent one? If she has her own is it a power chair or manual? There are airline regulations about which batteries can be left in a power chair and which ones must be carried on board. You will need to contact the airline for exact information and to let them know what you will be bringing.

I have not traveled by air with my current power chair (Whill model Ci), but I have flown with my previous ECV. I was quite happy with the service I received from United Airlines. It was a direct flight from New Orleans to San Francisco. We drive to Orlando so I do not have experience there.

Do you need a van with a lift or roll-in option? Or is your wife able to transfer to a regular seat? We have a Honda Odyssey with a lift in the back which means we do not get to use the third seat. A friend's husband uses a manual chair, but they have a larger conversion van with a side roll-in ramp as he cannot transfer to a seat. If we were to fly someplace now I would just rent a regular van as my Whill comes apart and can even be transported in most car trunks, and I can transfer to a seat.

I am just now at the stage where I will need a roll-in shower room so I have only used a regular room with with my walker in the room on my last trips. Not all handicap accessible rooms at WDW have a roll-in shower so if that is a requirement make sure that is requested.

You probably already know this from day to day life, but fatigue can catch up with me even when I am using my power chair and not walking at all. Just be careful not to overdo things. Hope you all have a great time.

Disney World Resort hotels all have different levels of HA (Handicapped Accessible) rooms. You can find everything from tubs with grab bars, to "Florida rooms" to Roll-in Shower rooms. If you want to stay on property, you may have to call Disney, and have a Cast Member search for the type of room you want; some Resorts may sell out earlier on those room types than others.

We only stay on-property, so I can't really comment on offsite hotel rooms; I require a roll-in shower these days, and those are more difficult to find (for example, Swan & Dolphin apparently have none, and I think there is only one of the "official" Disney Springs hotels that has one).

Be sure to identify what you need as far as the *type* of HA room, and start your search from there.

Airlines should all be about the same. Do allow for some extra time, and get to the airport early to allow extra time for TSA, as well as boarding. Most airlines these days will board the passenger + 1 "helper" early; the rest of your party may have to wait with everyone else. Let the airline know if you need an aisle chair - the special skinny chair that fits down the aisle of the aircraft. The wheelchair can be gate checked, but make sure that you don't leave anything personal attached to it, or anything that could fall off, or get caught on something else in the aircraft's hold. Things *do* shift during the flight, and you want to minimize the opportunity for damage.

Typically, when flying, it's just like the buses at WDW - you get on first, and get off last, so plan for slightly longer layovers if needed. It can take up to 20 minutes for some airlines to get your wheelchair upstairs from the hold, so you are almost always the very last people up the Jetway.

As far as rental vans go, I have zero experience there; we let Disney do the driving. Too many tourists and construction for this old Rabbit to be driving around down there! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter