• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am a terrible person

And my cat deserves a better owner, according to my new vet. All because I asked how much something was going to cost. She told me how it should not matter if I care about my pet and how horrible I am for putting a price on my kittys health. :guilty:

I wish money didnt matter, but right now I have a house I cannot sell in one state and I am paying rent here. Of course I love my kitty, and I really do my best to care for him. I wish I had unlimited funds but I do not.

Conversely, Ive had vets not do test simply because they felt it cost too much and I wouldnt pay it. Cost the life of my Keeta. I would have paid it. I let the vet know in no uncertain terms. His response

Well.... I just didnt think the cost was worth it.

I corrected him, I said

No sir, you just didnt think at all.

Well she has left 2 voicemails asking me to call her back. I had hung up on her after she told me how horrible I was. I will not be calling her back or going back there. The issue is my cat had antibiotics and got diarrhea after being on them for a few days. She wants to run a million tests and a full workup to see the cause of the diarrhea when it seems rather obvious to me that it was the antibiotics. The antiobiotics are done quarterly to prevent his dental infection from coming back. I think the clindamycin was too strong. He had no tummy issues until on the medication.

Well she has left 2 voicemails asking me to call her back. I had hung up on her after she told me how horrible I was. I will not be calling her back or going back there. The issue is my cat had antibiotics and got diarrhea after being on them for a few days. She wants to run a million tests and a full workup to see the cause of the diarrhea when it seems rather obvious to me that it was the antibiotics. The antiobiotics are done quarterly to prevent his dental infection from coming back. I think the clindamycin was too strong. He had no tummy issues until on the medication.

Good for you! :thumbsup2

Time for a new vet. I think any owner of an animal would ask what a procedure costs. It's only natural. I ask at the dentist when they make a suggestion on a procedure how much it costs so why wouldn't I ask my vet?

I agree. With all that is going on around here many are on a very tight budget.

Could you imagine every human running to the doctor's for full work ups after they have a couple days of diarrhea? I wouldn't even be doing that with my kids let alone any of my pets :laughing:

What a funny coincidence! This also happened to my cat. She had antibiotics after surgery, then had tummy problems for two weeks! My vet's solution was some digestive aids with some prescription food called ID. It all cost about 25 dollars, and she is feeling better already after only a day. I don't think blood tests are really necessary at this point.

If the vet feels that way ask them to pay for it. As much as we love our pets there is a limit. Several years ago the Washington Post ran an article about a woman who spent $30,000 for a kidney transplant for her cat. Now, I generally have no problems with how people spend there money but that's insane.
BD

Good for you - don't call her! The only call I'd make was to the secretary to have the records transferred to another vet.

Conversely, Ive had vets not do test simply because they felt it cost too much and I wouldnt pay it. Cost the life of my Keeta. I would have paid it. I let the vet know in no uncertain terms. His response

Well.... I just didnt think the cost was worth it.

I corrected him, I said

No sir, you just didnt think at all.

Did you ask if there were tests available for your pet? Did the vet just say he wouldn't do the tests because they were expensive? I can't imagine a vet wouldn't explain that there were tests available, give his opinions on the test, and let the owner make the decision on handling the sitation.

Years ago, when my very first cat was diagnosed with cancer in his mouth, the vet said we could do A, B, or C and these were the costs. She said what she thought about each thing and told us it was ultimately our decision. That a vet wouldn't give you the options seems off to me. I'd be getting a new vet if my vet didn't give choices and just did whatever the heck they wanted to do.

I think this is the new thing in veterinary medicine. When I was younger, "denying" medical care to pets due to costs was common place - now it's considered abuse.

I have a friend who was trying to have her 16 year old sick cat put to sleep and couldn't find anyone to do it. She was told she was doing it for her own convenience and it would be better for the cat to pursue treatment.

She would have been spending thousands to prolong a life of a dying cat.

I would no longer be giving that vet my business. It's only natural to ask questions. Heck, I ask my childrens' doctor how much things will cost.:laughing:

I think this is the new thing in veterinary medicine. When I was younger, "denying" medical care to pets due to costs was common place - now it's considered abuse.

I have a friend who was trying to have her 16 year old sick cat put to sleep and couldn't find anyone to do it. She was told she was doing it for her own convenience and it would be better for the cat to pursue treatment.

She would have been spending thousands to prolong a life of a dying cat.

More like it would have been better for the vet to pursue treatment$

And my cat deserves a better owner, according to my new vet. All because I asked how much something was going to cost. She told me how it should not matter if I care about my pet and how horrible I am for putting a price on my kittys health. :guilty:

I wish money didnt matter, but right now I have a house I cannot sell in one state and I am paying rent here. Of course I love my kitty, and I really do my best to care for him. I wish I had unlimited funds but I do not.

How ridiculous! Of course it matters how much something cost, whether we're talking about a pet or a person. Very few of us have unlimited funds and sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. I loved my dog, but we live on a fixed income. I could not afford some of his meds and he had to go without. I had to make some choices--give him the really good food or give him the cheap stuff and have more money for drugs? But I couldn't just plunk down my VISA and say "fill 'er up!"

I'm really glad that my vet was understanding with us. She tried to help us make choices that we could live with. I'd suggest that perhaps you need a newer new vet,because this one doesn't seem to be on the same page with you.

I would get a new vet and also call the better business bureau to have a report done. No one should be made to feel like that.

It sounds to me like the terrible person in this situation is your vet, not you. Their behavior is not only unprofessional, it's unacceptable. Here's hoping you find a better vet.

Without trying to digress from the OP, when my Diana was ill she spent a week at the vet. She was 17 years old and in kidney failure. I told him point blank I believed in quality of life over quantity. I did not want Diana to be kept alive if she was going to be in distress; her well-being was more important to me than my feelings. He sent her home with me with an IV, injections and medicine. She died as I was giving her an IV (which I had NEVER done before) less than 24 hours after she returned home. I had no idea what I was doing and I felt like I had betrayed Diana. At least she was in peace; I beat myself up for months.

OP: As for your vet, if my vet had said that to me, I would have put my cat in her carrier and left his office immediately. If I were selfish and put myself first, I never would have cared for my cats in the first place.

Oh I would so be calling her back! I would tell her straight up that since I dont give two hoots about my pet, I am off to find a vet with a similar mindset. Have a magical day, ya witch.

OP: I just did some research and your state should have a Veterinary Ethics and Grievance Committee. Personally, if my vet tried to emotionally manipulate me into spending more money than I could afford, I'd be filing a complaint.

(Yes, I'm like that!)

Just a thought.

Ya know what? Maybe if they didn't charge $20+ to clip freekin' toenails, people would be able to afford for their pets to have better healthcare.

$350 for a cat's tooth cleaning, that's just insane, yet it's what I paid. NOW? They hound me to do it again. Hey, doc, the cat had his FIRST cleaning at age 11, I think he's good. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter