• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am a new cruiser help!

hlang0527

Earning My Ears
Hello, we received a cruise on Disney Wonder for a present. Please give me tips on everything (packing, restaurants, tours on stop ports, & general tips)!!!!! We are looking to travel for Valentines day. Is this a good time? Also, Caribbean or Bahamas?!?! HELP HELP HELP!!

The most helpful advice I received before our first Disney cruise was to buy and read the PassPorter guide- cover to cover. So much information, and very well organized.

There are so many things people could post telling you about their cruises. The best advice I can give is to read the first 4 pages of posts here on the cruise board, along with reading the FAQ thread at the top of the forum. You can also read trip reports on that forum to get port information on excursions with pictures. That will expose you to the most popular topics that include many you mentioned. You will then have questions specific to your family about those topics, so post here and get advice.

Another resource would be: www.mousesavers.com

This would provide you a long list of topics to dig into deeper. As the OP suggested, you need to get an overall handle on the different aspects of a cruise, then start making notes on your specific questions based on your situation.

I'm getting ready for first Disney Cruise (Feb 2014) and made a long list of "tips" from various sources, esp. the DISforum, and I feel alot more prepared for the cruise.

What a gift to receive!!! Enjoy it all.

There are so many things people could post telling you about their cruises. The best advice I can give is to read the first 4 pages of posts here on the cruise board, along with reading the FAQ thread at the top of the forum. You can also read trip reports on that forum to get port information on excursions with pictures. That will expose you to the most popular topics that include many you mentioned. You will then have questions specific to your family about those topics, so post here and get advice.

I am accessing this from my IPad app. Do you know where this FAQ thread is or how to get to the first pages? I have tried searching to get there?

I got my Pass Porter from Amazon.com. It contains a whole lot of info.

You could also try your local library.

Hello, we received a cruise on Disney Wonder for a present. Please give me tips on everything (packing, restaurants, tours on stop ports, & general tips)!!!!! We are looking to travel for Valentines day. Is this a good time? Also, Caribbean or Bahamas?!?! HELP HELP HELP!!

As PPs said, there is so much info. We could offer more advice if you ask more specific questions.
Our first Disney cruise was early Feb. I would definitely recommend Caribbean if you sail that time of year. FL was very cold, like 50s. We all had long pants & sweatshirts at the sail away party. By the time we got to St. Martin it was hot but I wouldn't have wanted to have the Bahamas as our only destination that cruise. Also we got lucky & had a great day at CC but it's at the same latitude as approx. Ft. Lauderdale so no guarantee for hot weather there either.

As PPs said, there is so much info. We could offer more advice if you ask more specific questions. Our first Disney cruise was early Feb. I would definitely recommend Caribbean if you sail that time of year. FL was very cold, like 50s. We all had long pants & sweatshirts at the sail away party. By the time we got to St. Martin it was hot but I wouldn't have wanted to have the Bahamas as our only destination that cruise. Also we got lucky & had a great day at CC but it's at the same latitude as approx. Ft. Lauderdale so no guarantee for hot weather there either.

We are going on the cruise 2 adults with no children but we love Disney! I was worried about the weather during that time not getting warm enough. Did you ever have any safety issues in the Carribean (like during your stop in Mexico)? Someone recently told me Nassau was boring and seemed just like a tourist trap? Did you feel that way? We are cruising on the Wonder I believe. How is the space in the rooms? I am a little nervous with my first time cruise so we are choosing an interior room. Did you ever have to worry about places to put your items or that someone would get into them? How is the sound between staterooms? Some people have said they feel like they didn't pack enough and other people told me not to pack hardly anything...lol there is a start on some questions...

Also at the top of this page there is a red bar, look there and you will see Overview, Itineries/Ports, Ships, Staterooms, Dining and lots of other catagories of information.

We are going on the cruise 2 adults with no children but we love Disney! I was worried about the weather during that time not getting warm enough. Did you ever have any safety issues in the Carribean (like during your stop in Mexico)? Someone recently told me Nassau was boring and seemed just like a tourist trap? Did you feel that way? We are cruising on the Wonder I believe. How is the space in the rooms? I am a little nervous with my first time cruise so we are choosing an interior room. Did you ever have to worry about places to put your items or that someone would get into them? How is the sound between staterooms? Some people have said they feel like they didn't pack enough and other people told me not to pack hardly anything...lol there is a start on some questions...

The Caribbean is warm year round, according to the guides and taxi drivers we have talked to while in port. We found hot temps in November, December, January and March. Of course the weather can change and there is always the chance of a storm. The Caribbean will be warmer than the Bahamas since it is farther south.

We have cruised the eastern including San Juan, western including Costa Maya, Alaska, and PC repo with stops in Cartagena, Aruba, Acapulco and Cabo. We did the 3-night to Nassau and were not impressed. We have not felt unsafe at any ports. The first time we got off the ship in Cozumel friends warned us that there would be military with rifles on the dock so we were expecting that. There was a similar presence in Costa Maya. We find that if you treat the ports like you do your home city you will be fine -- sticking to the public areas, don't go down empty side roads alone, and be alert and aware of your surroundings.

Unless you book the royal suite, the stateroom will be smaller than hotel rooms on land, but bigger than some other ships. A cat 10 will have more room than a cat 11. It will also have a split bathroom. The safe is relatively small.

I pack a suitcase per person for a 7-night, but we dress up for dinner. We don't live in swimsuits during the day so I pack an outfit for each of us to wear during the day and an outfit for dinner. We end up with a carryon per person that we also check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter