I am a little disappointed in the new discount

Also, I have to wonder about the value of DDP, I have been doing some math, and though disney says that it saves you money, I am not sure.

For us it works out to 1111.00 for 10 nights 11 days.

Roughly $100/day ... or $50/person/day.

IF, we both eat a breakfast, and BOTH eat a QS lunch, and THEN do a Sit down.... it might break even. But looking at places like Jiko, Marakeesh etc ... its looking like dinners will be 25-35/person a QS Lunch is what 8-15, and a breakie is ... a few bucks ?

It only saves you money if you order the most expensive item from the menu, and order the apt and desert with the TS. And I doubt there are alot of persons with the capability of eating that much food.

Clamesa said:
It only saves you money if you order the most expensive item from the menu, and order the apt and desert with the TS. And I doubt there are alot of persons with the capability of eating that much food.

Actually there are people who can eat that much food........teenagers! Lol. Our last trip in May 2011 we had free dining and upgraded to deluxe. It was well worth it. We did two of the dinner shows, character meals, and my boys actually got full!! For us free dining is the best deal.

Santa said:
If the rates for a moderate are still outrageous then I will look offsite for our November 2013 trip as well.

We are looking at POR for Sept and the cost for the Moderate is $200 per night. I would be curious where it is you go that that is outrageous? Even my company approved hotels run $175 per night in high population areas and if we go to a plant in a smaller location they are $125-$150. And that is for a hotel with usually little to no pool, no activities, you pay $25 a night for Wifi.

Places like NYC or Chicago run $300 per night for a bed and one chair in a safe part of town.

Stacy

Also, I have to wonder about the value of DDP, I have been doing some math, and though disney says that it saves you money, I am not sure.

IF, we both eat a breakfast, and BOTH eat a QS lunch, and THEN do a Sit down.... it might break even. But looking at places like Jiko, Marakeesh etc ... its looking like dinners will be 25-35/person a QS Lunch is what 8-15, and a breakie is ... a few bucks ?

It's not a savings for everyone. It depends how you eat, where you eat, how much you pay for the DDP, etc.

We do DXDDP every trip. We end up saving money because we do a sit down breakfast and dinner each day with a QS lunch or snacks thrown in there in the middle somewhere.

When pricing it out OOP versus the DXDP costs, we're only up about $200 without pricing snacks and my OOP costs don't include a dessert.

We ended up with the SPD deal so we're paying less per person than full price. I don't know if I"d pay full price for it, but it's not something I have to worry about right now.

I can't believe how much the DDP has gone up in recent years. Even with major inflation, that doesn't justify such a huge price rise. It seems just really greedy. In 2011 to upgrade from the regular DDP to the deluxe DDP it was just over £400 for a week. Now, it is over £700... Almost double.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Since I didn' expect any kind of deal for our June trip this year I'm very happy with the 25% off at POR. There's no doubt a Disney vacation is expensive. For us it just means a longer time between trips, which is fine. We like to see other areas of the country as well.

This also goes to the new Disney philosophy of making more money from the people who can afford to go. Even if it means some people can't or won't. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's their current philosophy. I'm pretty sure it's not what Walt had in mind though.

LSUDis said:
While we are still going to WDW this summer, since there is no free dining or better discount, we are reducing the number of days that we are staying and not getting any dining plan.

We can't change the price of gas to get there. We can't change the price of tickets or rooms. The only thing that we can change is how long we stay and how/what we eat.

This is out plan as well!

I agree 100%. DDP USED to be a deal- not anymore (unless its free). This coming trip it would be $2300 to add the DDP to our trip:faint:There are 5 of us for 10 nights. We are doing a TS, CS and snacks (without the desserts), paying OOP, and we added it up to about $1800. So we are taking $2000, and still saving $300. Plus, now I dont have Disney controlling what and where I eat. Cant count how many times my kids took a snack up in the foodcourt to be told, sorry thats not a snack. Plus we dont need 5 refillable mugs which are now included in the price. My DD, AND DS didn't even use theirs this last trip, and we only did a couple of times just because we HAD them. We make our own coffee in our room, and dont drink soft drinks.

The DDP doesn't save my family any money. I guess if we were to eat deserts every meal OOP then it might save a little, but we don't. I can't tell you how many deserts would sit in our mini fridge then wind up in a dumpster.

The only way DDP is worth it is if it is free. Just my opinion.

I can't believe how much the DDP has gone up in recent years. Even with major inflation, that doesn't justify such a huge price rise. It seems just really greedy. In 2011 to upgrade from the regular DDP to the deluxe DDP it was just over £400 for a week. Now, it is over £700... Almost double.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The deluxe dining plan price has gone beyond ridiculous, $102 + per peson. We have used it for the last several years, but at that price, we're skipping it from now on. We do club level rooms & eat breakfast in the lounge. We are fine with a pastry or bagel. We like sit down places, so we'd do lunch at someplace like Sci Fi--salads, burgers & sundaes. Then a signature restaurant for dinner. That would be our 3 daily credits.

But even with ordering steaks at evey dinner, there's no way we spend $102 each every day. So I'll go OOP, skip a few appitizers & desserts; maybe even split some entrees. I have a feeling my wallet & my waist line will be better off! ;)

I guess thats totally understandable. Last year was the first trip for my wife and I, our honeymoon. We got free dining last year, seemed like a great deal, but we went during Presidents day weekend/week, so it was actually super expensive. But we didn't mind. For two of us its pretty affordable. For people with families, I can totally understand.

Guess we just don't know how much Mods USED to be, but actually our Mod this year is going to cost us less than it did last year, even though rates have gone up, just because we are going Mid may instead of Presidents day ...

Mods used to cost us $1200 for 7 nights in a king room, that was just May 2010...that was about $139 a night :wizard:

we have never traveled in 15 trips without a discount so I am mostly comparing to the past. :teacher:

we wouldn't go if we couldn't get a discount, after 15 times its not the end of the world, we would just go somewhere else;)

I don't understand the snarky comments on the GF.....its a dream for us to stay there:worried:

The same could be said for the price of gas today vs. 2010, the prices of food today vs. 2010..... everything has gone up. We priced out going to Universal for the day and it was INSANE. :crazy2: It's not just Disney. It's the airlines....everything. LIFE is just more expensive... there's just no way Disney cannot raise their prices too. This is why we don't go to Disney every year....we simply can't. It's too expensive. When we do go, we make it worth it, for us.

I would tend to agree that Disney is an expensive vacation, however with their unique experience there will never be a day that people stop going no matter how much it costs.
I noticed a few have mentioned they already have a deal for June of this year, when did this come out? I have been having such a hard time getting onto the Disney Website for a week now I am "patiently" waiting for a deal for my already booked May 2013 vacation!

I would tend to agree that Disney is an expensive vacation, however with their unique experience there will never be a day that people stop going no matter how much it costs.
I noticed a few have mentioned they already have a deal for June of this year, when did this come out? I have been having such a hard time getting onto the Disney Website for a week now I am "patiently" waiting for a deal for my already booked May 2013 vacation!

Disney visa released the discount to card holders for trips through June 14. It's believed that it will open to the general public on June 3 for the same dates.

Disney Visa members were able to access the deal on the 27th. It goes to GP on the 3rd. I think the dates go to June 14th. There is a thread about it but can't find it right now. Try looking at the thread started by danny25 with the title Ladies and Gentlemen. It will give you idea.

The prices of the hotels are really a matter of what you want out of a vacation. I'm far from wealthy but I would spend $$ on GF or Poly or BC if a deluxe hotel would make that trip special. Just have to save more for it . Maybe less days at the parks? I have always appreciated Disney coming out with discounts and always hope for the best for me dollar wise. I NEVER count on a certain amount or free dining however.

Disney visa released the discount to card holders for trips through June 14. It's believed that it will open to the general public on June 3 for the same dates.

January 3rd i hope:)

I need to book 5 - 6 nights the 2nd week of the month and was hoping to book something with this promo and possibly switch over to AP room only rate when (if) it's announced. Haven't activated our APs yet, will rely on posts here so i can call into WDW.

January 3rd i hope:)

I need to book 5 - 6 nights the 2nd week of the month and was hoping to book something with this promo and possibly switch over to AP room only rate when (if) it's announced. Haven't activated our APs yet, will rely on posts here so i can call into WDW.

Sorry, I totally meant January 3rd! I've got June on the brain... we're going to be there the first week of June, so I was looking at changing a dining reservation when I typed this! sorry for the bad info!! :goodvibes

The savings are if it's the Free Dining ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter