I 95 Possibly Becoming A Toll Road

kimluvswdw

<font color=darkorchid>I just can't put my finger
I was watching the news this morning and saw I 95 from Virginia all the way to Florida might become a toll road. That would really stink for those of us that tow a camper or trailer. Can you imagine what it would cost to go through each state from border to border? I would not want to have to add that in as an expense, gas prices are bad enough. I am hoping it never happens.

Toll roads are pretty rare down here in the south. I'm not saying it's impossible but everytime they talk about any toll road here in NC, it creates a small uproar.

Correct me if I am wrong but if it is an Interstate that Federal law prohibits any tolls of any kind on a federal highway system. That is what happened down here in TX. They wanted to make I-10 a toll road to pay for the upgrade and the US Gov't said no way.

Correct me if I am wrong but if it is an Interstate that Federal law prohibits any tolls of any kind on a federal highway system. That is what happened down here in TX. They wanted to make I-10 a toll road to pay for the upgrade and the US Gov't said no way.

I have no idea. I just got the info off the local news. We all know they can be wrong.

I have no idea. I just got the info off the local news. We all know they can be wrong.

I-77 is partially a toll road I believe in West Virginia and IIRC the PA turnpike is I-80.
I am sure that the politicians have found their loophole.

I can't imagine them doing this, there would be a massive uproar if they tried to do this, and I don't see the politicians willing to upset that many I-95 drivers, you're talking a huge voting base.

The NE already gets hit with tolls on I-95. A decent chunk of the NJ Turnpike is I-95. There's also a toll on I-95 on the DE/MD border. I'm pretty sure there are other toll portions as you through NY and north.

I used to live south of Richmond VA, and I'd hate to say it, but the south has gotten off easy compared to the toll road situation in the north. I'm not saying it's right, but I wouldn't be suprised if I start seeing tolls popping up along southern portions of 95.

I-80 isn't the PA turnpike, unless it is past PGH. biggest crock of shift if they start collecting tolls.... they did a study on the NJ turnpike years back. They collected something like 165 million in tolls. 130 million of that went to actually collect the tolls, and 35 million went into maint./snow removal....... not sure of the exact numbers, but you get the idea.

Now they are trying to sell the NJ Turnpike Authority to a private company.:confused3

I remember that CT used to have tolls on I-95. It was supposed to only be temporary to pay off the roads or something like that. Of course no one ever believed until they actually took down the tolls. Now if they could do something about the darn congestion driving through that state.:headache:

This has to be wrong, because I-95 used to be a toll road here in Jacksonville up until the late 80's. The tolls are gone now, but the office building is still on the side of the road used for something else.

Tolls still in Maine on I-95 up until Augusta (gee, do you think cuz it is the capital of the state?)...still plenty of interstate north that doesn't have tolls but who the heck travels up there, even I don't unless I really HAVE TO.
Just please don't say that there will be tolls past Delaware!!! It really costs enough now to travel south from where we live, this past April we drove our MH towing a car and it costs us $120.00 as it was!

Nancy

I90 in New York State is a toll road. Back when it was built, it was promised that the toll would only exist until the loans borrowed for the road construction were paid off. Several years ago, that goal was met. Guess what - the toll is still there, and in fact has gone up a lot since then. Honesty in government once again.

I would go along with a toll from the NC/SC line at South of the Border to just before Florence. That section of highway on the north and south bound sides will shake you to death in a car, much less pulling a 40' trailer....

They could keep it open long enough to pay for ripping up the entire road and totally replacing it....

Although the Interstates were all free roads, it was agreed that some already existing toll roads would become part of the Interstate system rather than having to build additional freeways in those regions. But there was to be no mandate to take down the tolls directly connected with the Interstate designation.

I remember a toll on I-95 near Richmond VA that is gone now.

Disney hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I-77 is partially a toll road I believe in West Virginia and IIRC the PA turnpike is I-80.
I am sure that the politicians have found their loophole.

You are correct about I-77. I-77 from the southern border of the state to about Charleston is considered the WV turnpike. Watch out! That road can be pretty dangerous..

Maryland is installing toll lanes on 95 North of Baltimore. These lanes will work like HOV lanes in virgina exept you will need an easy pass. The last meeting I had with the group that is handeling this said that the toll will vary depending on how busy traffic is. As we like to say "welcome to Baltimore hon"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter