I-81s

TSMAMI

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
I usually take 81 to 64 then to 95....I wanted to know has anyone traveled 81 to 77 to 26 then to I-95, if so is it any better?

We've only been once, so I am no expert. We took the 81-77-26-95 route and it was a nice drive for us. This is the route that was recommended to us by some folks who split their time between here and The Villages (a golf retirement community somewhat near Orlando). They make the trip back and forth several times a year and have tried other routes, but found this route to be the best for them.

Deb
Oct. 2007
and MAYBE April 2009

We live in NEPA and take the following route that AAA Triptik gave us - 81S to Rte 66 to 17 to 95 - We pick up 95 near the Falmouth and Fredericksburg areas (exit 133)

I’m guessing that you are probably looking at six-of-one and half-a-dozen of the other. I’d do a little mental calculation and see when I would hit Charlotte. If that time would be during rush hour, I’d tell you not to go that way. The other major drawback to Rt. 81 south of the exit for Rt. 64 is the trucks and the hills. They can be a real pain in rainy weather. Also, if there is any chance of snow in the mountains, stick as close to the coast as you can. Plus, if you take Rt. 77/Rt. 26, you’ll miss the signs for Pedro!

I’m guessing that you are probably looking at six-of-one and half-a-dozen of the other. I’d do a little mental calculation and see when I would hit Charlotte. If that time would be during rush hour, I’d tell you not to go that way. The other major drawback to Rt. 81 south of the exit for Rt. 64 is the trucks and the hills. They can be a real pain in rainy weather. Also, if there is any chance of snow in the mountains, stick as close to the coast as you can. Plus, if you take Rt. 77/Rt. 26, you’ll miss the signs for Pedro!

Your right seeing the signs for PEDRO are part of the vacation experience :rotfl: and that sticking to the coast as much as possible to avoid snow in the mountains is a great idea!

I usually take 81 to 64 then to 95....I wanted to know has anyone traveled 81 to 77 to 26 then to I-95, if so is it any better?

This is how we usually drive to FL from NEPA. My husband likes this way because he feels there is less congestion. We have never had any problems.

Having done both at least twice, we prefer 81 - 77 - 26 - 95.

Is the 81-77-26-95 route very hilly? Is it mostly 2 lane highways, or are there one lanes with traffic lights?

Also, what if we drive overnight? Would that change your recommendation of this route?

We are driving for the first time from Central PA, and trying to find the best route.

Thanks!

Are Rt. 81 and Rt. 77 hilly? Wow, you bet they are! There's a hill (mountain?) as you come down into North Carolina that has several of those truck run-away ramps - get the idea? If you're driving through the night (which I have done several times and I enjoy) I'd stick to Rt. 95 as much as possible. It's relatively flat and straight and has no traffic on it from 10 at night until 6 in the morning. Two things - don't hit Washington between 3 pm and 8 pm if you are taking Rt. 95 through there and please don't drive if you are tired (I always sleep for at least 6 hours before I do an overnighter). Rt. 81-77-26-95 is all high speed interstate highway either 65 mph or 70 mph (in the South), at least 2 lane but often three, and not a single traffic light or toll booth between Pennsylvania and Orlando.

If traveling I -81 in the winter (Feb) is it safe to say that once you are out of Penn you dont have to worry as much about the snow in the mountains?

If traveling I -81 in the winter (Feb) is it safe to say that once you are out of Penn you dont have to worry as much about the snow in the mountains?

No, not safe to say! There is a good chance of snow along that route because I-81 follows alongside the mountains of MD, WV, and VA. You may have to adjust your route or your travel time if snow is in the forecast.

Dh and I would love to head to FL right now, but we don't want to contend with the possibility of snow on the way down or back, so we are waiting until April. I-81 is not far to the west of us, so that is the best route for us to take.

Deb

Is the 81-77-26-95 route very hilly? Is it mostly 2 lane highways, or are there one lanes with traffic lights?

Also, what if we drive overnight? Would that change your recommendation of this route?

We are driving for the first time from Central PA, and trying to find the best route.

Thanks!

Driving at night is fine on this route. Not a lot of traffic. We hate having to go near Washington, so we like this route. Not a lot of one lanes with traffic lights. Not even sure if there are any. It's really a pretty drive. I took 95 when I was the only adult with 2 young kids, just because I thought if my car broke down, I'd have more options. And because of the South of the Border signs. But normally, I would take the 81 route over 95 any day. Good luck with whatever you choose! Neither are bad.

so many options. I guess I will base my decision on the weather.

so many options. I guess I will base my decision on the weather.

I have signatures turned off, so I don't know when your trip is planned, but I wanted to give you a heads up for why I-81S can be a problem in WV and VA. Today, schools in the WV and VA counties on the I-81 corridor are closed due to an ice storm, but here in PA, schools along the I-81 corridor are open because the storm hasn't gotten here yet. So do keep your eye on the weather whenever your trip is scheduled.

I have signatures turned off, so I don't know when your trip is planned, but I wanted to give you a heads up for why I-81S can be a problem in WV and VA. Today, schools in the WV and VA counties on the I-81 corridor are closed due to an ice storm, but here in PA, schools along the I-81 corridor are open because the storm hasn't gotten here yet. So do keep your eye on the weather whenever your trip is scheduled.
thank you so much, if guess we never know what kind of conditions we are going to be faced with driving down in the winter. I leave in the middle of Feb.

I did the 77 to 81 route northbound this past September, bringing DS's new (used) wheelchair van up from Atlanta. Sadly it began raining as soon as I hit SC and rained on and off all the way to Massachusetts. It was nevertheless an enjoyable route and I would recommend it with certain caveats:
  1. Avoid Charlotte at rush hour
  2. In February, there will be snow in the hills of Virginia (I know of three ski resorts close to I-81 in VA)
  3. Parts of the route have moderately heavy truck traffic - I didn't run into any but saw a long line of traffic on the southbound side in VA near the NC border (I don't think it was Customs)
  4. It is so darn pretty along the route, you will want to stop and tour around, and that might slow your progress to FL ;) (I stopped at a lovely little winery in Mt Airy, NC among other stops)
I'd say choose your route depending on the weather. With dry roads, I'd do 81 to 77 in a heartbeat. If there's snow and ice in the hills, then head over to the coast; if the storm is along the coast, then head for the hills.

Good luck! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter