I’m a planner and not having a Navigator in advance is giving me anxiety

NCardella

DIS Veteran
We booked (relatively) last minute. Sailing on 3-night Wish September 15, and the website is vague at best and I NEED TO KNOW!
It’s a Halloween cruise and I can find no info about any celebration: one night or all voyage? What do we need to know?? What’s been done in the past??
What movies are scheduled? What shows are playing? Do times conflict? Do we choose between them and miss out on one?
We’re four adults, can we ride the AquaMouse?
Marceline: how is this pronounced??
Will I regret having the second seating? I feel like we’ll miss out on some of the fun.

The lack of info is making me uncomfortable.

These are important questions, people! Share your knowledge (and advice, and tips, etc…)
If you screenshot your Navigator itineraries on a 3-nighter, I’d love to see it!

Any tips for an all adult experience? (unfortunately, most of the wine/beer tasting experiences are sold out).

Trying to squeeze the most fun and adventure out of our trip. Last time we cruised was the Wonder in 2007 and our two little girls are now adults and we’re looking for a grown up experience which speaks to the kid in all of us. 😉

Last edited:
So in the most the Halloween stuff will be on one night of the cruise. They do a "Pumpkin Tree" welcome the first night and then on Halloween night they will do the main stuff. If you look on disneycruiselineblog.com at the previous navigators you should get an idea of the schedule. This one is your best bet - https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...s-cruise-from-port-canaveral-october-14-2022/

Movies will be showing throughout the days at various times so yes you will need to choose between them and other activities. Show wise there are 3 main stage shows - Disney Seas the Adventure, Little Mermaid & Aladdin - which will be on one per night for the 3 nights. They will be scheduled for the opposite time to your dinner time so if you have early dinner you go to the 8 something show and if you have late dinner you go to the 6 something show.

Yes you can ride the Aquamouse

They add more tastings at the port so keep an eye on the navigator to book on to them or go to the specified location when you board (it was Luna on my last trip)

We booked (relatively) last minute. Sailing on 3-night Wish September 15, and the website is vague at best and I NEED TO KNOW!
It’s a Halloween cruise and I can find no info about any celebration: one night or all voyage? What do we need to know?? What’s been done in the past??
What movies are scheduled? What shows are playing? Do times conflict? Do we choose between them and miss out on one?
We’re four adults, can we ride the AquaMouse?
Marceline: how is this pronounced??
Will I regret having the second seating? I feel like we’ll miss out on some of the fun.

The lack of info is making me uncomfortable.

These are important questions, people! Share your knowledge (and advice, and tips, etc…)
If you screenshot your Navigator itineraries on a 3-nighter, I’d love to see it!

Any tips for an all adult experience? (unfortunately, most of the wine/beer tasting experiences are sold out).

Trying to squeeze the most fun and adventure out of our trip. Last time we cruised was the Wonder in 2007 and our two little girls are now adults and we’re looking for a grown up experience which speaks to the kid in all of us. 😉
I’m a planner, too. But take a breath. It’ll be OK.

@gismo1554 did a great job answering your questions.

Make sure you download the Disney Cruise Line Navigator before your cruise. At port you put your phone in airplane mode and it runs for free on the ships wifi. It has different functionality on the ship than at home. On the ship you'll be able to see ALL the activities for every day, as well as the menus for every night (you should still get actual menus at meals). It takes the place of the paper navigator...which is both good and bad. The paper was great to see 1 day all at once. The app...not so much. But it's great because you can click on an activity/movie and see ALL the dates/times it's offered. You can favorite the things you want to do and the app will remind you shortly before the event. So give yourself some time on day 1 to look over the stuff on the app. For movies, plan on the most recent 4-5 Disney releases. Funnel vision will play some of the older animated movies by the family pool. Look at deck maps ahead of time to familiarize yourself with the ship. It has a different layout from all the other ships. If they offer a walking tour or 'art of the theme show' tour, plan to try to do it earlier in the cruise and it'll help you learn where things are.

Try not to stress too much. You will not be able to do everything you want to do. We do 7 night cruises and never get to everything. And try to give yourself a little time to relax. Enjoy the cruise!

Things can change and the app is not 100% accurate. On my last cruise the movie schedule changed several times, certain activities were not showing up in the app.

And next to that, in case of rocky seas shows might be rearranged.

Yes, scheduling is designed in such a way that you cannot do it all on one cruise and will have to come back. Especially on a 3 night cruise. You will not be able to do it all. You will be frustrated at certain times with the overlap.

And you have to take into consideration that your mood might change and what you plan now might not be what you want to do when the moment arrives.

But overall, it will be fine.

It's a boat, things are nowhere near as reliable as on land, don't be surprised if even when you get the daily planner if things are unavailable by the next day due to weather, port issues, etc.

If you need to have a detailed plan, it would need to be in the form of nested IF A THEN X ELSE Y END; statements.

My take on activities on any Disney cruise: they try to have big things available to everyone, without a conflicting big activity. It’s like having everyone getting an opportunity to dine in each of the restaurants and from the same menus over the course of the cruise.

And first- or second- seating should not affect your ability to attend any event.

As far as movies go, I found the late night (~11 pm) feature to be a great time on a shorter cruise. You might have to chose between a dance or music event in the Adult area, but I am not used to seeing those well attended (maybe its just the cruises I pick).

I’ve got a cruise at the beginning of September; I expect to see the latest Indiana Jones. Haunted Mansion is a summer release, as is Elemental. You might have Guardians Vol 3 or Ant Man Quantumania. In May, we had Peter & Wendy (which is actually Disney+). Late night (10:30+) FunnelVision is often a Pirates of the C movie after the Pirates IN the C party. Captain Marvel, Jungle Cruise, Maleficient 2, Cruella were some of the movies we saw in May under the stars.

I have not heard good things about the seating in the Buena Vista Theaters. The first 4 ships have good size movie theaters.

Be it Halloween or Christmas - I would not build it up in anticipation of a big event. There are tasteful decorations. It’s more a veneer than a “Halloween Cruise.” And maybe even more so with just adults. Of course, if you are looking to dress up for this or for Pirates, it is an opportunity that you might not have at home. It doesn’t have the same cache as the Headless Horseman or the Boo To You parade at the MK.

Even when our kids were younger we loved having second seating because it allowed us time to get ready, relax, etc. before dinner

Same! I have always chosen late seating. In fact my DS recently said his fiancee, whos is fairly new to cruising, brought up she would like to try early dining once to see what its like. I told him, don't do it on a cruise that I'm on with you, LOL! ;)

I've pretty consistently read that finding a seat for the movies on the Wish is very difficult. On such a short sailing, I probably wouldn't prioritize waiting in lines to watch a movie. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Aquamouse: holds 2 people (single riders may have to wait to get a second rider). It’s not a little kids only ride.

Ironically, going as adults is the perfect opportunity to relax and go with the flow. Do whatever appeals to you that day. No kids to corral or make sure they are fed on time. No early morning alarm to get a Fast Pass / Lightning Lane ticket. ☺️

Even when our kids were younger we loved having second seating because it allowed us time to get ready, relax, etc. before dinner

Yeah my kids go into meltdown mode come 530 if dinner is not on their plate. They're also up at 6 AM, 7 if I'm really lucky ...I didn't get the model of child that sleeps in. Second seating isn't an experiment I want to try on a very expensive vacation. Some day...when they're older.

@gismo1554 did a great job answering your questions.

Make sure you download the Disney Cruise Line Navigator before your cruise. At port you put your phone in airplane mode and it runs for free on the ships wifi. It has different functionality on the ship than at home. On the ship you'll be able to see ALL the activities for every day, as well as the menus for every night (you should still get actual menus at meals). It takes the place of the paper navigator...which is both good and bad. The paper was great to see 1 day all at once. The app...not so much. But it's great because you can click on an activity/movie and see ALL the dates/times it's offered. You can favorite the things you want to do and the app will remind you shortly before the event. So give yourself some time on day 1 to look over the stuff on the app. For movies, plan on the most recent 4-5 Disney releases. Funnel vision will play some of the older animated movies by the family pool. Look at deck maps ahead of time to familiarize yourself with the ship. It has a different layout from all the other ships. If they offer a walking tour or 'art of the theme show' tour, plan to try to do it earlier in the cruise and it'll help you learn where things are.

Try not to stress too much. You will not be able to do everything you want to do. We do 7 night cruises and never get to everything. And try to give yourself a little time to relax. Enjoy the cruise!
great advice, thank you

Adults can ride the aqua mouse there are two show scenes so you should get one scene on embarking day and your second full day and a different one on your first show day so multiple rides are warranted if you can

As far as halloween I did a 3 night on dream in 16 & 18 on those trips Halloween

For us night one they had a nightmare before christmas sing along with a Jack & Sally meet

Full Day 1/Night 2 was Halloween/Pirate day Mickey & Friends dressed in Halloween attire & they had an atrium dance party/trick or treating for families in the afternoon… than in the late night after the Pirate fireworks they had an adults Only Halloween party in a club

I think the third night they told ghost stories in the lobby or on deck in the evening

I think by now you have a rough idea what to expect, I would have everyone in the party pick one activity that is their must do. And those are the one you HAVE to find a place for in your schedule as soon as you step on board. Consider everything else a bonus.

Remember: Laying by the pool, or a quiet read somewhere on one of the decks is an activity as well on vacation ;)

Also keep in mind that maybe at a certain point you want to do A, and someone else wants to do B. It is fine to split up on a family vacation. The best thing about a cruise is that everyone can have the vacation they want from only reading by the pool and the occasional swim to having every minute of your day filled with activities. Your daughters are adults now, maybe they enjoy silent disco or an activity you do not find interesting.

I would agree on at least 1-2 activities and at least dinner together for example and for the rest of the day see how it goes. If you plan each day to have breakfast at 7, while some prefer to sleep in on vacation (or the other way around) I would give flexibility with breakfast.

You can also see this as a great opportunity to train your inner planner and your anxiety that nothing bad is going to happen by not knowing. You will make great memories either way :)

So first, take a deep breath....in through the nose, out through the mouth with a slow six count. A cruise requires almost no planning. Pick excursions if you want but nothing is required. As a first time cruiser you are unlikely to get a Palo reservation but you don't want one on a short cruise anyway.

Late dinner is great, especially for an all adult group. Gives you more time for daytime activities, hang at the pool later, see the shows before dinner, have a drink, go to dinner. Your dinner rotation is assigned, you get It when you board ..no planning required. After dinner, visit the club or bar of your choice. Over dinner look at the next days' activities and "heart" the ones that look fun....trivia, tastings, napkin folding, cooking. Leave time to chill at the pool, hit the gym or walk around deck 4.

That's it! Enjoy!

So first, take a deep breath....in through the nose, out through the mouth with a slow six count. A cruise requires almost no planning. Pick excursions if you want but nothing is required. As a first time cruiser you are unlikely to get a Palo reservation but you don't want one on a short cruise anyway.

Late dinner is great, especially for an all adult group. Gives you more time for daytime activities, hang at the pool later, see the shows before dinner, have a drink, go to dinner. Your dinner rotation is assigned, you get It when you board ..no planning required. After dinner, visit the club or bar of your choice. Over dinner look at the next days' activities and "heart" the ones that look fun....trivia, tastings, napkin folding, cooking. Leave time to chill at the pool, hit the gym or walk around deck 4.

That's it! Enjoy!
I'm loving everyone's advice and input, thank you!
Sorry if my tongue-in-cheek humor prompted everyone to think I was hyperventilating, I was exaggerating a bit, (maybe 🤣)!
Dropping a big chunk of change for two and a half days makes you want to get your money's worth, and not regret missing something once off the ship. We've already missed out on the tastings, all booked up.
We're pretty seasoned cruisers, this is our 4th DCL, last year we sailed adults only Virgin Voyages, and a few more in between.
Keep the ideas coming, I appreciate it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter