• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I’m so proud of my daughter

C&G'sMama

DIS Veteran
My DD is 10 yo in the 5th grade and will be 11 in May. Every year she gets questions and some rude comments about having two moms which came up again the other day. Her response an eye roll and “you’ve known me since 2nd grade, really?” She gets sick of it. Her BFF at school also has 2 moms. Well DD said “E is insecure and trying to fit in because she’s starting to tell everyone she had a dad but he died and that’s why she has 2 moms now” I feel bad for E.
But I’m just so proud that my DD is able at 11 to say “whatever” and not care what people think. It took me ‘til I was 30.

The funny thing is of the 3 lesbian led families at our school that I’m aware of we are all pretty active so the kids know us. Koolaidmoms volunteers in DD’s class twice a week and has since 3rd grade and all the kids clamor to be picked to work with her. Another mom was on the board and another mom is the cupcake/craft mom (her kids are in different grades then our kids).

Kudos to you and your daughter!!

:hug:

well done to your daughter. :) I hope we get to bump into you guys in June.

it's like they say, kids learn prejudice. They don't know it. I hope some day that your doesn't even have to say "whatever"...that no one even asks her. That it just becomes normal to everyone around her.

well done to your daughter. :) I hope we get to bump into you guys in June.

it's like they say, kids learn prejudice. They don't know it. I hope some day that your doesn't even have to say "whatever"...that no one even asks her. That it just becomes normal to everyone around her.

I agree whole heartedly with all of this!

and I really really hope my daughter and her friends from school keep the attitude about my gender that they have now. I'm just her dad. Her classmates correct the parents, that is S's DAD. you can almost hear the eye roll in their voices! :laughing:

She's a great kid (I'm just a tad biased) and it will be nice if some day it won't matter. But until that day I'm glad she can stand up for herself and for others. She dances to her own drummer and she just doesn't care.

Before we had kids we had people ask us what we'll do when other kids start to question or maybe pick on our kids for having 2 moms. The way I figure it is there are always people that are going to try to find a way to get under your skin. You're too fat, you're too skinny, you're not wearing the right clothes etc. It's teaching our kids young to stand up for themselves but also to stand up for and respect others.

I too am hoping to bump into some of you in June.

I agree whole heartedly with all of this!

and I really really hope my daughter and her friends from school keep the attitude about my gender that they have now. I'm just her dad. Her classmates correct the parents, that is S's DAD. you can almost hear the eye roll in their voices! :laughing:

that's funny. When my daughter was about 5 two of the kids down the street asked why she had 2 moms (it was truly an innocent question) Without skipping a beat "because I was born that way" all that was missing was the "duh". Oh okay, and they kept on playing and they all still play together.

that's funny. When my daughter was about 5 two of the kids down the street asked why she had 2 moms (it was truly an innocent question) Without skipping a beat "because I was born that way" all that was missing was the "duh". Oh okay, and they kept on playing and they all still play together.
but what a perfect example.

I'm thinking how many kids would die for two moms...I'm thinking to my own childhood and honestly (as much as I love my father) two moms would have rocked. I"m sure half her class secretly thinks she's pretty lucky.

That's great! It's always great to hear about a confident youngster. I hope she's able to help E develop the same confidence.

it's like they say, kids learn prejudice. They don't know it.

Many, many years ago I showed my kids my wedding video. This was before they even understood the concept of TV. It just was. After they saw me in a wedding gown, everytime we saw a bride one of them would ask, "Is that you Mom?" I can remember one time the question being asked about a black bride. I am white. They just didn't notice the skin color, only the big white dress.

You have a great kid indeed!

And its so nice to see that things are getting better, even if baby steps! I was at least 12 years old before the first openly gay person was even on TV, it was the Phil Donahue show, and it was a very big deal for some guy to just say "I am gay" on TV!

Baby steps......:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter