hyatt MCO or Hampton Inn and Suites Airport gateway? prior to cruise

chimo2u

DIS Veteran
Hey! Hoping to get some recommendations on where to stay for our night prior to our cruise. We are flying in quite late on Oct 30th (11:30PM) for our Fantasy Cruise and I was wondering where you'd recommend staying? Currently we have the hampton inn airport booked, for a very good price ($95 military rate) but I am wondering if staying at the Hyatt is worth the pricier fee??
Coming in late, I don't really feel like collecting my bags then having to find a shuttle in a strange airport.... however, the rate at the hampton is very good.
Is it worth the upgraded cost to stay at the Hyatt?? WWYD?

We love the Hyatt MCO and that is always were we stay prior to sailing. Partially because you get luggage transfer service. They pick it up from your room and transfer to the port. There's also a delicious brunch at the Hyatt, and then we head downstairs and are usually on the first or second bus to port.

I'll add....I'm a frequent Hilton guest and would generally pick Hampton over anything else. But again, we think being at the Hyatt is best.

We have done both, and I say the Hyatt, especially since you are coming in late. Yes, it is pricey, but you just can't beat the location. Next morning, you just get up and go downstairs to the DCL shuttle.

How are you getting to the port? If you were going to take the bus, then staying at the Hyatt IS very convenient. If you weren't, then it might not be as good.

I find MCO to be pretty good in terms of signage. We managed to figure out where to go for the hotel United put us up in when we were (happily) bumped for the Superbowl 2 years ago, and it was easy.

How are you getting to the port? If you were going to take the bus, then staying at the Hyatt IS very convenient. If you weren't, then it might not be as good.

I find MCO to be pretty good in terms of signage. We managed to figure out where to go for the hotel United put us up in when we were (happily) bumped for the Superbowl 2 years ago, and it was easy.
I'm going to get DCL transfers from the airport. If I can find the hotel shuttle stand ok I may stick with Hampton Inn, it's rated very high on trip advisor. Also I'm only there under 10 hours as we come in so late. I'd rather pay $95 especially with our horrible cdn exchange rate!
Hopefully the signage is not too bad ☺️

I've stayed at the DoubleTree (also a Hilton property) across the street from the Hampton Inn and the shuttle service was fine. You will probably have to call, especially at that hour, to make sure the shuttle is dispatched to get you. Once you have your bags, call the hotel, let them know if you are on A or B side and they will tell you which parking space the shuttle will stop.

FYI - there are two Hampton Inns nearby to MCO. Older one on TG Lee Blvd (behind the Denny's) and the newer one on the west side of Semerron Blvd (I think it's called Gateway) behind the carrabbas grill. Best advice was earlier to call when you have your luggage and tell them A side or B side. If I recall the hotels have shared shuttle service so you may see multiple hotels on the vans... All Hampton hotels are good for a 2 star property... BTW quick look at the Hilton site shows the Hampton Gateway at $95 for July 24, Homewood Suites at $79, and Embassy Suites for $95! Your choice...

Last edited:
FYI - there are two Hampton Inns nearby to MCO. Older one on TG Lee Blvd (behind the Denny's) and the newer one on the west side of Semerron Blvd (I think it's called Gateway) behind the carrabbas grill. Best advice was earlier to call when you have your luggage and tell them A side or B side. If I recall the hotels have shared shuttle service so you may see multiple hotels on the vans... All Hampton hotels are good for a 2 star property... BTW quick look at the Hilton site shows the Hampton Gateway at $95 for July 24, Homewood Suites at $79, and Embassy Suites for $95! Your choice...
Thanks Dittymau! We are booked at the newer one {gateway} for Oct 30th. I am thinking of just staying there as it is such a good price at the $95/ and we won't be there long arriving at midnight!

We haved stayed at the Hampton several times both cruise and non cruise related It won't be as convenient as the hyatt but it is a good place to stay. The property is only a few years old so it is fresh and clean. Getting to and from the airport is simple. I don't know what the hyatt rate is but the Hampton rate of $97 will just give you more on board spending money!!!

I love the Hyatt but have stayed at other hotels with shuttles and had no issue at all and the shuttles were great.

If $ is the issue then Hampton of course. If convenience is an issue--then Hyatt.

We've stayed at the Hyatt 2x now and will be doing so again--on Oct 30!! We're on the same cruise as you are!! Room 11002!

We did the Hyatt last year and doing it again here in a few weeks. It was so easy by staying there. When our plane landed we went and got our suitcases and checked in and headed straight to the pool. My 3 yr old grandson (then 2 yrs old) LOVED watching the planes coming in and landing and taking off. Plus, he loved watching the trams. We could hardly get him to go to sleep because he was so excited watching them. We could not hear the planes from our room ( I was kind of worried about that). The next morning, we had it set up (at the customer service desk) for our luggage to be picked up from our room. We opted to stay in our room until our luggage was picked up. I hear that you can leave and it will still be picked up, but I just wanted that piece of mind knowing they had our luggage. We kept our carry-on packed with everything we would need when boarding the ship, since you will not see your luggage until you get to your room or later.

I can recall but one post about the Hyatt when luggage was lost--and even at that no one knows exactly what happened. They have several double checks to ensure the luggage will be delivered--including a check by DCL as you board the shuttle bus.

If $ is the issue then Hampton of course. If convenience is an issue--then Hyatt.

We've stayed at the Hyatt 2x now and will be doing so again--on Oct 30!! We're on the same cruise as you are!! Room 11002!
Howdy neighbour!!! We're in room 11004!!!! ☺️ I may look into the Hyatt for convenience. What are the rates like for the Hyatt??

HYatt isn't especially cheap. Try those sites like Booking.com, etc and see what they might have.

Be sure to introduce yourselves while on board! We just heard from Shoreside and ALL of our requests were answered.

Try booking the MCO Hyatt through last minute travel. We did this once and got a good rate. But I would stay there regardless for the convenience, with your late arrival. When you check in tell them you are going on the Disney Cruise and they will pick up your luggage right from your room as long you have Disney Transportation to the Ship. Have a great trip

Definitely try using Last Minute Travel. We booked the Hyatt using them and got a very
good rate for Sept. 4, 2015.

HYatt isn't especially cheap. Try those sites like Booking.com, etc and see what they might have.

Be sure to introduce yourselves while on board! We just heard from Shoreside and ALL of our requests were answered.
Hi :) I'm not sure how to pm on here anymore, it's not easy and I've tried a few times with it not working! It's gone to "conversations" as far as I can see but it seems people never get my "conversation" that I start like when it was PM's I'll definitely try to say hi! My name is Marie, hubby's is Allan/ or just call him Al ☺️ We are on our group cruise page on FB if you are give me a shoutout ☺️ We got all our requests too! Gotta love shoreside!

WOW! Just checked pricing ,and wow, is it ever pricey!!! $207 without tax/ breakfast, most likely over $250 once that's added....plus exchange rate for us, and it's going to be close to $300 for 8 hours in a hotel room!!!
I think I'll just keep the Hampton Inn Gateway for the $95 rate which includes breakfast. then we will still take the DCL bus in the morning and bring our own luggage to the bus.... As much as I'd love to stay right in the airport, there's no way I want to pay those prices, it's worth saving a couple hundred dollars to do this I think!!!
UPDATE: After reading others reports on how easy the Hyatt is , it may just be worth the price uncharge as we are coming into MCO so late at night! I will definitely look into this again.

Last edited:
We booked the Hyatt MCO through DCL when I booked our upcoming cruise along with the ground transfer. The cost of the Hyatt is $223.00 for my DH, myself, and 3 yr old grandson. It was worth it to me not to have to hassle with booking it too. Again, I am a little paranoid about my luggage not getting picked up and getting to the ship. So we opted to wait in the room until our luggage is picked up from our room. And even at that, in our carry-on, I packed at least two outfits a piece and swimwear for us just in case. I had a friend that the airline lost her luggage and she did not get it until the last two days of her cruise. I would rather be weighed down with my carry-on just to have that piece of mind of knowing we will have some clean clothes to put on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter