• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricanes and earthquakes oh my!

That was really weird. Sitting here in the recliner with my dog and cat. The chair starts shaking. The lamps were moving. The ceiling fan is rocking. By the time my brain could figure out what was going on, it stopped. It felt like an off balance washing machine was shaking behind my chair. Today has been a really weird day for me.

I'm here in northern NH and I felt it. My kids didn't feel anything though. They thought I was crazy until the report started showing up on the news!

We felt it here in Connecticut...I felt like I was back in California!

Felt it here in upstate NY. We were trying to remap our route to drive to WDW around the hurricane when we felt it!

I was in my office building 12 miles north of Baltimore City. The floors started jumping and the blinds were banging against the windows.

I am about the same location. I thought I was getting ready to pass out, my knees started shaking. I was picking up lunch. When I came back my office building was evacuated.

I definitely felt it in Baltimore! I was in my basement and felt my chair shaking. I looked at my water glass and saw it shaking. I yelled at my kids to get upstairs and freaked them out pretty badly. All of us were running out of our houses asking each other if it was an earthquake! Crazy!!!

I live an hour north of NYC and I felt nothing, but other's did.

I'm a little disappointed. I know, I must be crazy!

Philadelphia, pa...felt it, was sitting on the toilet as it began to shake. My entire ceiling was shaking too. Pretty freaky!! I thought it was a plane going too low over my house or a truck...haha!!

We felt it here in Brooklyn, NY. DH was sitting at the dining room table eating lunch, I was sweeping the kitchen floor, and the kids were in the livingroom playing...when I felt the floor shake, I thought the kids were up to something in the livingroom (like jumping off the couch!)...they were sitting and playing. I said to DH, "I wonder if we just had a small earthquake". I called my parents and their house shook too...their dishes were rattling. My hanging flowers outside were shaking. I put on CNN & saw that there was a quake in VA, & they also felt it in DC and evacuated some of the major buildings...those people in there must have been terrified that it was a possible terrorist attack, especially with the 10th anniv of 9/11 coming up. We're not used to this sort of thing here...and here I thought the worst thing we had to worry about on the East Coast was Hurricane Irene.

just a minor bit of shaking, no obvious damage, but definite shaking in downtown Asheville, NC

We felt it here in Brooklyn, NY. DH was sitting at the dining room table eating lunch, I was sweeping the kitchen floor, and the kids were in the livingroom playing...when I felt the floor shake, I thought the kids were up to something in the livingroom (like jumping off the couch!)...they were sitting and playing. I said to DH, "I wonder if we just had a small earthquake". I called my parents and their house shook too...their dishes were rattling. My hanging flowers outside were shaking. I put on CNN & saw that there was a quake in VA, & they also felt it in DC and evacuated some of the major buildings...those people in there must have been terrified that it was a possible terrorist attack, especially with the 10th anniv of 9/11 coming up. We're not used to this sort of thing here...and here I thought the worst thing we had to worry about on the East Coast was Hurricane Irene.

I wish it felt small here! I will never forget the way it felt :eek:

That was my first, and hopefully last, earthquake. I experienced it from the 33rd floor of an office building in New York City. It started bouncing up and down and then progressed to swaying and bouncing. I looked out the window and my building and the office building directly accross the street were noticeably swaying. 10 seconds in and our entire floor was headed for the emergency exit and we evacuated down 33 flights of steps.

We didn't hear anything about an earthquake until 10 minutes or so after we were outside. While evacuating, we all thought it was a terrorist attack of some kind.

We definitely felt it here at the Va Beach oceanfront (we're about 150 miles from the epicenter). The hurricane coming up the coast I'm not worried about, but I don't DO earthquakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter