Hurricane Wilma

alprice

Earning My Ears
We are leaving tommorrow for Disney and I am very concerned about this storm.....Has anyone ever been through such a storm while in Orlando? I know its a ways away and they still are not so sure where its going to hit....please reassure me that we will be fine.....

I was at Disney last year for Hurricane Frances and it looks like Wilma and I will collide again this year.

As for what happened last year (the storm was coming in from the Atlantic side) - we were told to stay in our rooms from about 12 noon on the day the storm was going to come in until approximately 6pm the next evening.

Disney was excellent about keeping everyone informed via telephone messages and notes in our room. We never lost power and were able to pass the time away watching Disney movies and the weather stations on TV. We also had a deck of cards and a flashlight - which was not needed. Although the winds and rain were continuous, I always felt safe. But, then again, I am used to living in a windy area.

I am going to pack a small box of snacks in addition to the above mentioned items. Last year I had a rental car so I stocked up at the Hess Gas Station a few days before the storm hit. (and before there was a panic) I won't have that luxury this time, so I'll bring a few things from home.

What I am hoping is that in the next day or two, that the storm tracks further south and that we won't have to worry about it. However, I will plan accordingly. If the storm does hit, most likely my flight home will get cancelled and also hope that like last year, Disney won't "kick me out".

ps - don't forget the rain ponchos!

I can't assure you that the hurricane will not affect Orlando, but it is still far enough out to sea that they can't say for sure which way it will go. These things change so fast. Go on your trip. Have fun. I'll say a few prayers (as I am sure everyone else is doing) that this storm fizzles out or heads back out to the ocean without any distruction. (as of this morning, looks like the Keys might get some of it, but as it has DAYS to go, it could change.)
Good luck.
:angel:

Here is the 5 day projection as of today:

084935W_sm.gif

I've been "lurking" here at disboards for a while, great help planning my trip! It's been 15 years since my last trip to Disney, and that one was only for one day!

Now, of course, we're scheduled to leave tomorrow...

Since we're driving down, we're debating the advisability of rescheduling.

Question- If the parks do close early due to inclement weather, do they give you any compensation? i.e., a ticket to return on another day?

My DH has been to Disney during a couple Hurricanes and said he a couple times he had to stay in the room for a day, but Orlando didn't really get hit.

Advice....go, have fun!

marymrg said:
I was at Disney last year for Hurricane Frances and it looks like Wilma and I will collide again this year.

As for what happened last year (the storm was coming in from the Atlantic side) - we were told to stay in our rooms from about 12 noon on the day the storm was going to come in until approximately 6pm the next evening.

Disney was excellent about keeping everyone informed via telephone messages and notes in our room. We never lost power and were able to pass the time away watching Disney movies and the weather stations on TV. We also had a deck of cards and a flashlight - which was not needed. Although the winds and rain were continuous, I always felt safe. But, then again, I am used to living in a windy area.

I am going to pack a small box of snacks in addition to the above mentioned items. Last year I had a rental car so I stocked up at the Hess Gas Station a few days before the storm hit. (and before there was a panic) I won't have that luxury this time, so I'll bring a few things from home.

What I am hoping is that in the next day or two, that the storm tracks further south and that we won't have to worry about it. However, I will plan accordingly. If the storm does hit, most likely my flight home will get cancelled and also hope that like last year, Disney won't "kick me out".

ps - don't forget the rain ponchos!

Since you've been through this before...were the food courts open when you were suppose to be in your rooms?

Thanks in advance for the info, we're leaving tomorrow.

Living in Orlando and having once worked at Disney, I can assure you that they will take care of things. Last year during Charlie, the park was closed for the day after and then opened up to guest staying in the resort only for 2 days after that. they do a remarkable job cleaning things up. if anything you'll have to hunker down for a little bit. but you're a lot safer in a hotel than in most houses.

Part of the reason I'm concerned about even rain is because I'll be either in a wheelchair or walking with a cane the whole time, which makes getting from one sheltered area to another take a bit longer. I have a compromised immune system, too.
I wonder if it's safe to drive an ECV in the rain?

Anyway, as of right now we're still leaving 12 1/2 hours from now.

I'm packing my water wings and a snorkel, just in case.

We leave on friday I'm not going to let Wilma bother me. :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter