Hurricane Watch

CdnBuzzFan

DIS Veteran
Every time we travel to WDW, it's during hurricane season and so far we've been lucky. We've never been there during a hurricane! I'm keeping an eye on Erika and hope we miss that one as well. Has Disney ever been hit with a hurricane? I'm just wondering what they do for park guests. Do they end up closing the parks? Has anyone been there during a hurricane?

Yes. They do close the parks. And every resort room is hurricane prof as much as it can be.

August - oct is hurricane, rainy season and humidity in Florida. But we got this.

Yes. They do close the parks.
This only happens when Orlando takes a direct hit, which is not going to happen with Erica. The last time it happened was in 2005. I think the parks were only closed for half a day.

This only happens when Orlando takes a direct hit, which is not going to happen with Erica. The last time it happened was in 2005. I think the parks were only closed for half a day.
One never knows wheree a hurricane will land.

It's still a tropical storm. But I live in south Florida. We don't take these things lightly. I've been true enough hurricanes to know better.

August - oct is hurricane, rainy season and humidity in Florida.
Hurricane season actually runs from June 1 - November 30, and it's still too soon to determine whether or not Orlando is in the direct path of the storm. :cool2:

I was there in the late 90's when they closed for a day. No actual storm or damage. We had a blast with other guests in the room at Dixie Landings. The beer for the trip was exhausted that day.

We were there. Hurricane Wilma it was in 2005. DHS [MGM at the time] and AK never opened that day [10/24]. MK and Epcot opened around 2:00PM. Beach Boys went off without a hitch during a "scaled down" F&W.

This is the latest Wesh2 models.
There is no scenario where Florida takes a direct hit - let alone Orlando. Aliens COULD land on earth and take over congress .... But it's probably not gonna happen.
image.jpg

We arrived the day Hurricane Charley hit in 2004. We were on one of the last flights in before they closed MCO. Parks were closed that evening and the next morning. We had stayed at a Best Western DTD the evening of the hurricane as our package at POFQ started the next day. WDW was the best place to be as they have their own power grid. Surrounding areas were in bad shape but WDW was already in cleanup mode and getting parks up and running. Many people were stranded on property and they opened excess rooms for their employees IIRC. Here is a link to an article from Allears.net -http://www.allears.net/news/hurricane.htm

We were there in 2004 when hurricane Francis came. It was our first trip to WDW. It hit the day before we were supposed to leave. Had to stay 2 extra days because they moved all of the planes out of Florida. WDW was great about keeping us informed and brought boxed lunches and coffee to the hotel lobby ( we were staying at the contemporary). Parks were closed for the day. All parks opened the next day except AK. They only charged us Florida resident rate for the 2 extra nights and comped us for 2 park day tickets. Felt they did great job considering the circumstances. We felt very safe

We live in Boca Raton, FL. That is between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach so we are watching things closely.

We are supposed to go to WDW the following weekend, for Labor Day. So hopefully it will all be over by then.

We were there for one, don't know which one or what year but I do know there was supposed to be a space shuttle launch and we had tickets. Needless to say, they didn't launch and we spent the day hanging around our room since we didn't have any plans to go to the parks that day anyway. Just a lot of wind and rain.

This is the latest Wesh2 models.
There is no scenario where Florida takes a direct hit - let alone Orlando. Aliens COULD land on earth and take over congress .... But it's probably not gonna happen.
View attachment 119732

Florida is definitely still in the path and it's definitely possible for somewhere in Florida to take a direct hit. Orlando I wouldn't worry as its in the middle of the state, it's more along the coasts. However you don't need a direct hit to experience the strength and rain

k3qix1.jpg

11bt08o.jpg

So now it looks like it's coming inland. I'm getting a little anxious. Could Orlando have a direct hit now??

at201505_5day.gif

ALL TS/Hurricanes near the coasts should not be taken lightly. Even if the it doesn't come through central Fl it can cause high winds, lightning and spawn tornados. I'm from Fl and have been through some bad ones....they are not fun! We currently live on the Space Coast and will take all precautions.

Our local news is now saying it might directly hit Florida (see the pictures above) but now as a tropical storm. Which means a couple of days of wind and rain, but nothing like a hurricane. Fingers crossed that's all it is.

Forecasters and computer models do their best, but they are not in charge! So. LA girl here and we have had some really bad ones - even ones that were not 'supposed' to hit there, also some that have done loop de loops and have come through some areas 'twice'!! We take these storms very seriously, and 'never' make jokes about them (or worse still, have 'hurricane' parties!

The latest this AM has the storm going straight up FL, but it could move east or west before next week - just keep a close watch - sometimes the spawned tornadoes are as bad as the storm itself. Doesn't appear this will be a really strong one (maybe not even a hurricane) but some nasty rain/wind possible none the less. Just keep a close eye on it and 'wait and see'.

Mid to end of August, and September have notoriously been the worst months, and even though it doesn't happen often in FL, I would not plan on vacationing there without insurance during that time.

Good pixiedust: to all there!

If Orlando experiences anything from this storm it is likely to be only a rain event with moderate winds. This storm is really struggling to hold it together, and it is quite possible the interaction with Hispaniola today is going to rip it apart completely.

I do not believe they have ever closed the parks for a tropical storm. Hurricanes, yes, several times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter