hurricane season is here

anniemae

Either she is eating a delicious
Just a heads up for those traveling this week and next to keep an eye on the weather. Was just watching weather channel and there is something forming in the atlantic that has potential to make landfall in FL according to the projected path on weather channel. IF it does form, most likely will be tropical depression. I know it's WAY to early to tell, and it could fizzle out, or swing out to sea, but just keep an eye out if you are traveling.

Last edited:
after reading this I checked the forecast for the first two week of september and....damn they look terrible :eek::eek::sad1::sad::sad:

I'll be there from the 5th of september....Hope that won't be so bad...

Yep, I always watch the hurricane updates on the weather channel too

Four or five years ago we stayed in Disney during hurricane Irene, (which made landfall in the Carolina's). We go every august and this wAs the first trip that we didn't get to use the pool - as with all the cloud cover and rain around the eye of the hurricane was there throughout our trip ( except for the last day when it got sunny). It was a lot less humid and breezier than usual.

I'm a total storm geek.

I've been checking the NOAA Hurricane site just about every day. I'm certainly not wishing harm to people or property, but for someone who generally hates science I get a kick of watching the storms develop and move across the ocean.

Here's the site in case anyone is interested: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
Tropical Storm Gaston?!!!

You're kidding me right?

Makes me want to alphabetize all the disney villains for future storm names...

Hans
I.... Can't think of an I
Jafar
K...
L...
Malificient (that would be one bad-*** Storm- yikes!)
N...
O...

Gah!

Look what happen in House of Cards... The hurrican missed .... Because you know Netflix is real life...

after reading this I checked the forecast for the first two week of september and....damn they look terrible :eek::eek::sad1::sad::sad:

I'll be there from the 5th of september....Hope that won't be so bad...

Last year was the driest and hottest trip we've ever had over labor day. The weather forecast said thunderstorms every day. I'd like to be a weatherman in Orlando during the end of summer.

Leaving in 11 days. Watching the Atlantic closely. All of the systems out there now should be cleared out by then but still keeping a close eye out. Not too concerned. More worried about flight plans being disrupted than park plans being altered. Ponchos and flip flops!!

Last edited:
Little early to predict what it is going to do. Hurricane season has been in full swing for two month now and not much has hit Fl yet. Of course we are at the peak right no but anytime between June and November there could be a system.

I worked there when Sandy blew threw. The night before Illuminations was cancelled for technical difficultly (something we were told was the first time ever for Epcot as they use to always do something since the barges need to be burned through) and then the night of Illuminations was cancelled for weather. It was a rough few days as a Epcot CM especially when MK fireworks went off but we were given a no go. I also water logged my feet so badly I got a water blister and my toe still splits open pretty easily on that spot now.

Unless you are flying, there isn't much impact on Orlando except rain. I was there one year, can't remember the year that one did manage to sneak it's way over and they actually shut the parks down for the entire afternoon and evening. Other than that, it was just rain and frankly I've never been when it didn't rain so business as usual. As luck would have it, we had tickets for a space shuttle launch the day everything got shut down and of course, that didn't go either. I gave the tickets to a friend who was going on a Disney cruise later and she said she enjoyed it very much.

Eh im there the labor day weekend and week as long as I can get there and out safely im not worried I am assuming disneyworld knows how to handle storms and the rain doesnt bother me

I've had the best trips ever when hurricanes were suppose to hit disney... Lowest crowds, walk up to anywhere you want to eat, ride anything over and over. I love when a hurricane lines up with my trip. There is lots of stories of locals who actually stay at disney if it does hit because it's safest place to be. great stories of what disney does.. Disney is built for this. If you don't need to also worry about your own home I wouldnt change plans because it's a possible storm.

Good heads up .. definitely something to be aware of, but looking out for a hurricane this early is like trying to plan around snow in the winter. A lot of worry with very little return.

I was in WDW a year ago (this week). There was a hurricane/tropical storm SE of Florida and while we worried about it, we didn't change our plans one bit. It never made landfall (very few storms do) but it did cause increasing rain/thunderstorms every day of the trip for a few hours every afternoon. That was pretty much it. The last day of the trip was the worse as it rained starting at dinner and throughout the night. We had to wait in the rain for the Fort Wilderness buses (because the boats were closed due to weather). Bonus was .. due to time of year and weather .. low crowds.

As someone who lives directly on the coast, we need to be aware of hurricanes. Thankfully they are not like tornadoes that can just sneak up on you and you see them for DAYS in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter