• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Scenario

chodnett

Eat Mor Chikin
Let's say a storm develops as we get close (within a week) of our cruise.

What does Disney do in these scenarios?

Adjust the route of the ship? Cancel?

Thanks for your feedback!

based on what i have heard, they almost never cancel and usually sail around it. Ports may change if needed.

This scenario occurred to us when cruising in 2011. The ports were rerouted (moved from western to eastern) itinerary two days prior to departure. ALl went smoothly and had a agreat trip.

Each situation is handled on a case by case basis, but as noted above, having a cruise cancel is due to weather is extremely rare. I was on the Fantasy 2 weeks ago and due to Cristobal we took a different route than usual and ended up going to San Juan instead of St. Maarten. Captain Marco made this announcement right before the sail away party, so it was pretty much a last minute decision. We had great weather so no complaints here. :thumbsup2

CamColt said:
Each situation is handled on a case by case basis, but as noted above, having a cruise cancel is due to weather is extremely rare. I was on the Fantasy 2 weeks ago and due to Cristobal we took a different route than usual and ended up going to San Juan instead of St. Maarten. Captain Marco made this announcement right before the sail away party, so it was pretty much a last minute decision. We had great weather so no complaints here. :thumbsup2

Pretty much everything coming out of PC had some issues that week. We were on NCL Getaway out of Miami and ended up hugging the North coast of Cuba to avoid things. And I have a picture of where you should of been parked in St. Maarten. Instead had to look at MSC Divina. Made me very sad.

This is good to hear. DH is very concerned, since our last Florida trip was at the tail end of Hurricane Sandy and kind of threw a wrench in some of our plans...

I can't remember where I read this, but I remember a thread or a trip report where the ship could not return to its home port. Disney buses and box lunches were waiting to get everyone back to the airport/port/ WDW....

Pretty much everything coming out of PC had some issues that week. We were on NCL Getaway out of Miami and ended up hugging the North coast of Cuba to avoid things. And I have a picture of where you should of been parked in St. Maarten. Instead had to look at MSC Divina. Made me very sad.

That's funny you have a picture of "us", LOL! I also heard the Breakaway(I think that's the one) out of NY went to Port Canaveral and Nassau instead of Bermuda and the Dawn which does Boston to Bermuda had to leave Bermuda early. The Captains will make the right/safest choice, whatever that may be.

There have been cases where the ship couldn't make it back to PC and the start/end dates were adjusted. Be sure that DCL has your cell number so they can notify you of these sometimes last minute changes. Once the ship had to go to Miami and people were bussed to PC because the channel wasn't passable I believe. Both the Magic & Wonder were in port in Miami. Great pictures. Then there was the first 10-night cruise on the Magic because it wasn't safe to return. The next cruise was altered a great deal with one of the ships loading up with CMs and supplies to go to CC and clean up after the storm passed right over the island, and the other ship filled with a combination of guests from the Wonder & Magic who didn't cancel their cruise.

The important thing is to get to the port and be ready for whatever changes they have to make. Just don't get left behind. That would be sad.;)

There is no 1 scenario to cover a hurricane situation. As posted above any or all of the above may apply . all depends non the where the storm is, predicted to go and how strong. In rare instances I think may be 2 x in 16 years has DCL canceled a cruise due to a hurricane. And that was because of the 4 in 04 I think that turned a 7 day into a 8 or 10, and 3 into a 4 with at least 1 ship in ft Lauderdale or Miami and the Magic stopping for supplies in Galveston. With all the repos and passengers that could not make it due to several weeks of backlog flights it was easier to cancel the cruise. Usually DCL will watch the storm and adjust the itins as necessary. There not going to risk multi million dollar ships and its passengers and crew. Despite what some may think. It may be uncomfortable but it will be safe.

There is no 1 scenario to cover a hurricane situation. As posted above any or all of the above may apply . all depends non the where the storm is, predicted to go and how strong. In rare instances I think may be 2 x in 16 years has DCL canceled a cruise due to a hurricane. And that was because of the 4 in 04 I think that turned a 7 day into a 8 or 10, and 3 into a 4 with at least 1 ship in ft Lauderdale or Miami and the Magic stopping for supplies in Galveston. With all the repos and passengers that could not make it due to several weeks of backlog flights it was easier to cancel the cruise. Usually DCL will watch the storm and adjust the itins as necessary. There not going to risk multi million dollar ships and its passengers and crew. Despite what some may think. It may be uncomfortable but it will be safe.

Everything you pointed out Truck and especially this:

There not going to risk multi million dollar ships and its passengers and crew. Despite what some may think. It may be uncomfortable but it will be safe.[/QUOTE]

AKK

CamColt said:
That's funny you have a picture of "us", LOL! I also heard the Breakaway(I think that's the one) out of NY went to Port Canaveral and Nassau instead of Bermuda and the Dawn which does Boston to Bermuda had to leave Bermuda early. The Captains will make the right/safest choice, whatever that may be.

May not have been on the Fantasy this trip but was still planning on getting a couple of selfies with the DCL ships we met up with (everyone needs a hobby). Read about the Breakaway, a change like that would be heartbreaking. St. Maarten for San Juan works. PC and Nassau are in no way close to the same catagory as Bermuda. After sailing Getaway however definitly going to book Breakaway to Bermuda.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter