Hurricane Sandy?

Well we fly out of Boston Monday night. Ugh.
I know we can get out in rain, but if the storm is almost here the incoming flight will certainly be delayed and then we'll get cancelled. I am generally glass half full, but since my Disney trip is in jeopardy I'm stressing.

I am really hoping this is just another storm hype that ends up being nothing by the time it gets up here. If it does come and we get cancelled, we probably won't get down there til Weds at the earliest.

And I'll say it here. THAT WOULD SUCK!

We leave Thursday from NJ and I am worried about airport closures Mon or Tues and the ripple affect the rest of the week. We have tickets for the last MNSSHP on Friday and really don't want to miss that. We also have free dining for the week because we are checking on on 11/1 but from what I have heard Disney should honor it if we arrive a day or two late due to weather related problems.

you guys are scaring me with this. my flight is monday from westchester, ny at 10:30am. do you really think there will be airport closures? i thought it wasn't supposed to get bad here until tuesday. like i'm not stressed out enough already!

Leaving WED 10/31 from Baltimore....hoping the weather will turn in my favor.

I had a layover scheduled at BWI on 10/31 and switched my flight to avoid any layover on the coast. Who knows what to expect. If there is major damage backups , delays and cancellations could occur. Since you are leaving from there yours would not eb a simple switch like mine was. Good Luck and pixxie dustpixiedust:

Good luck to all the travellers! I went through this exact same stress in August with hurricane Isaac. We were flying into MCO the day that storm hit southern Florida. I remember sitting in our lounge waiting to board and hearing all the Miami and St. Pete's cancellations. Fortunately, we made it there with no problem, but I totally get the stress.

For those of you flying out of the NE on Tues/Wed, I would start to look at other options for flights a bit earlier (if you can get away earlier) and then watch for posted weather watches/warnings from your airlines to know when to pull the trigger on the travel change. Hopefully, it won't be necessary at all, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Safe travels everyone!

This storm is going to have a huge impact Nationwide... Air travel will likely be impacted as I would assume most airports (DC, Baltimore, Philly, New York, Boston) will be closed at some point or another. This will impact folks down stream in that available aircraft may not be there... Thus, we may see flight delays all across the country.

If you are up there, please take caution... This storm may likely impact power for a long time... This is not a situation to take lightly.

We are supposed to fly out Mon 7 am from Stewart airport in Newburgh NY and we are keeping our fingers crossed and praying we fly out. Do you think we'll get out?

We are supposed to fly out Mon 7 am from Stewart airport in Newburgh NY and we are keeping our fingers crossed and praying we fly out. Do you think we'll get out?

Tough call. I'd plan for contingencies. In my experience, most of the flights that were cancelled on me had more to do with our aircraft never arriving from the hub or wherever else it was coming from. If your plane is there, there's a good chance you can get out, but if your plane is coming up from the east coast, you're likely going to have an issue

Trust me, there's nothing worse than trying to explain to a 5 year old at a sunny airport in Rhode Island why we can't fly to Disney World due to a thunderstorm in Philadelphia... :rolleyes1

Tough call. I'd plan for contingencies. In my experience, most of the flights that were cancelled on me had more to do with our aircraft never arriving from the hub or wherever else it was coming from. If your plane is there, there's a good chance you can get out, but if your plane is coming up from the east coast, you're likely going to have an issue

Trust me, there's nothing worse than trying to explain to a 5 year old at a sunny airport in Rhode Island why we can't fly to Disney World due to a thunderstorm in Philadelphia... :rolleyes1

Exactly... When I flew to Orlando last month I had a 2 hour delay here in Atlanta because my plane could not get out of New York...

Exactly... When I flew to Orlando last month I had a 2 hour delay here in Atlanta because my plane could not get out of New York...

Yep. Once you're up in the air, you generally can fly over or around weather, depending, of course.

If I was in that predicament, I would see if I could try and find out the flight numbers and origination cities of my flight. Sort of trace back where your plane will be coming from, and then track it. If it says it's "en route," then you have better odds that you'll get out.

We had lots of fun tracking "our plane" coming to Rhode Island from Philly once it took off from Philly.

It looks like it flies down in the am and comes back in the afternoon. Would one plane have more flights? This is a small airport but awesome to fly in/out of! :)

jetblue posted that if you're flying out of the nyc area (along with dc/virginia, possibly others?) on mon oct 29 or tues oct 30 they will allow you to change your flight moving through nov 1, no fee. i switched from mon at 10:30am to sun at 8:30am. she advised me against going sunday, trying to get me to go wed or thurs instead. but since my trip is ending on sat, i went with sun oct 28. she did advise that i take the earliest flight, since the plane will have arrived the night before, so that's what i did. good luck to everyone!

Disney Pal said:
It looks like it flies down in the am and comes back in the afternoon. Would one plane have more flights? This is a small airport but awesome to fly in/out of! :)

Good luck. We are not flying out until Sun the 4th so we are hoping everything will be back on track by then. But Stewart is our favorite airport by far. It is an hour from door to gate for us and there are never crowds.
Have to fly LGA this time due to finding a much cheaper fare.

I am taking no chances . My family of 4 was Originally scheduled to fly from Syracuse ny 7 am oct. 31. Changed 2 flights (myself & dd 11) to Sunday 28 from buffalo. Dh can't leave work until Tuesday night & other dd does not want to miss 2 more days of school. They will hopefully get out wed or Thursday to meet up with us.

Btw - JetBlue is offering no charge changes to flights to/from Orlando & ny around the expected hurricane dates. Check the website!

United, Delta, JetBlue, American, and US Airways all have posted change policies due to the storm. Call and change your flights if you can

Couchy said:
I had a layover scheduled at BWI on 10/31 and switched my flight to avoid any layover on the coast. Who knows what to expect. If there is major damage backups , delays and cancellations could occur. Since you are leaving from there yours would not eb a simple switch like mine was. Good Luck and pixxie dustpixiedust:

Thanks.....maybe I will see you there. Where are you staying?

My bf and I are flying out of PHL on Sunday at 8am... wish us luck! He's never been to WDW so I really hope our flight doesn't get cancelled.

ericarachel said:
My bf and I are flying out of PHL on Sunday at 8am... wish us luck! He's never been to WDW so I really hope our flight doesn't get cancelled.

You should be ok.... They are saying it won't intensify until Sun afternoon here in Philly...

Thanks.....maybe I will see you there. Where are you staying?

DH and I are staying at the Beach Club and plan on spending lots of time at the food and wine fest in Epcot ... Just nervous about this storm as you are I am sure

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter