Hurricane Matthew vs HHI....

SC Minnie - How did you get so much information regarding the damage? They have been so tight lipped when i called. I am trying to assess how much longer it will take to clean up. I have a vacation planned in 3 weeks and if it's too optimistic, I want to seriously look at other options. It just would help to know when Disney thinks this will be resolved. Obviously we don't want them to open before they are ready. Just want realistic expectations.[/Q

I know some people close to the situation. Things are cleaning up and they want to resort to be as close to 100% as possible. They had to discard a lot of things and there was a lot of clean up. Getting some of those things replaced could have been a hold up to opening as well. I saw a pic from the Island Packet this week with a pile of limbs and branches to be hauled away. The latest is the resort should open this week-- tomorrow.

The HHI site has an updated notice that it is expected to re-open and resume operations on October 27th. We are supposed to check-in on Saturday.

Just went on the site and it no longer states they are closed. I wonder when the first guest will arrive?

The HHI site has an updated notice that it is expected to re-open and resume operations on October 27th. We are supposed to check-in on Saturday.

Today's the day! Several CMs there reporting that as of today they're open for business. And with a beautiful picture too. I also wonder who the first lucky guest will be to check in.

We are checked in and the resort looks great! The main pool and the Beach House is open. We haven't seen it yet but a CM told us the beach is fine! The big dipper refurb is still going on. What we have seen of the island looks relatively good, many many trees down. Any questions let me know.

I'm so glad they are back open! We were supposed to check in October 14 but obviously had to cancel. We were heartbroken to miss HHI for the first time in 5 years but we had a great vacation closer to home.

We are checked in and the resort looks great! The main pool and the Beach House is open. We haven't seen it yet but a CM told us the beach is fine! The big dipper refurb is still going on. What we have seen of the island looks relatively good, many many trees down. Any questions let me know.

That is great news. Let us know if you find out what damage was done at HHI. I am glad the beach house came through it all. I saw on TV some of the neighboring buildings to the Beach House lost roof shingles. Did the beach lose any sand. At Vero Beach they lost around 15 feet of sand.

DH is wondering about all the golf courses on the island (if you're a golfer). He's trying to make tee times for our upcoming trip, and so many courses are still closed.

Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort did indeed reopen on Thursday. There are a couple of buildings with interior work still going on, but the resort looks great.

Hilton Head itself was hammered by Matthew with most of the island affected by downed trees. Many homes were damaged (the local newspaper reported 19% were damaged to some extent).

Those of us who know Chef Gordon, may recall that he used to offer a variety of cooking related programs at the resort. Some were tasting events, and one was "A Private Affair" where he would personally prepare and serve a private dining event for up to 6 guests. We enjoyed that program for many years and still enjoy talking with Gordon whenever at the resort. The program, "Longview Cooking Club" will be starting back up with 'A Taste of Wine' on Saturday, November 12, 2016.

As of now I do not know the schedule or the frequency of this program and what other options may be presented in the future, but certainly welcome the return of a great program at the HHI resort.

Be sure to check your weekly schedule when you arrive at the resort and sign up for any of the Cooking Club programs - they are well worth the effort! :)

Last edited:
Music to my ears! We check in on November 20th, and you can bet we'll sign up for whatever ones of Chef Gordon's events we can. Can we hope for "A Private Affair" possibly returning? Are the specific events mentioned at the member's website?

Music to my ears! We check in on November 20th, and you can bet we'll sign up for whatever ones of Chef Gordon's events we can. Can we hope for "A Private Affair" possibly returning? Are the specific events mentioned at the member's website?
I have no details except the above but will post more when I learn something.

Several golf courses opened this week and others are trying to get trees cleared. In another 3 weeks, I'd expect that many more will have reopened.

At the time of the storm, HHI was in the process of finishing a beach re-nourishment project. A lot of sand was lost during Matthew and several areas will need to be redone as the program gets ramped back up to speed.

For the most part, the cleanup is going well. FEMA gave its approval on Wedneday to assist with removing the tree debris which is now piled along roadways all over the island. In our neighborhood the limbs, stumps and tree trunks line both sides of the streets 10' deep and about 10' high. They are suggesting that it will take several months for everything to be cleared away.

We love this resort but were hesitant to add on there due to these unfortunate weather disasters. Anyone have any idea the impact something like this has on dues?

We love this resort but were hesitant to add on there due to these unfortunate weather disasters. Anyone have any idea the impact something like this has on dues?
They'll have insurance but the insurance has cost and generally resorts self insure a portion Plus both HH and VB will have higher upkeep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter