Hurricane Matthew vs HHI....

I can't imagine wanting to be on the Island for a vacation for at least a few months.

We have a vacation planned there in about 6 weeks, and we're wondering how the Hurricane might still be impacting the island then. From what we've seen on FB, there will probably be some restaurants closed, and I wouldn't be surprised if some golf courses have limited play.

We have reservations for three weeks from yesterday. Assuming the resort is open (which I imagine it will be, because it sounds like Shelter Cove got off easier than some other areas), I really have concerns about going then. It is hard to enjoy your vacation, when you see so many people around you suffering. But there is really nothing we can do about it. These are borrowed points and this is the only time we can go because we're going with our daughter and family and she teaches school. This is the only time she has off. So if we don't go then we loose the points. I guess we'll just make the best of it.

We have a cash reservation right after Thanksgiving. I am sorry HHI got hit so bad.

We have reservations for three weeks from yesterday. Assuming the resort is open (which I imagine it will be, because it sounds like Shelter Cove got off easier than some other areas), I really have concerns about going then. It is hard to enjoy your vacation, when you see so many people around you suffering. But there is really nothing we can do about it. These are borrowed points and this is the only time we can go because we're going with our daughter and family and she teaches school. This is the only time she has off. So if we don't go then we loose the points. I guess we'll just make the best of it.
I think that by going you will be helping them out by spending money with the local places that need it more than ever.

I am seriously beginning to think that DVC is run by idiots. "the earliest opening would be the 12th"

I guess it could be a new DVC adventure... Primitive camping, you can use an out house and build fires to boil water.

I think they need to start facing facts and proactively cancel the reservations for the next few weeks!

I received a call today from MS about the cancellation of our son's reservation this weekend. He had a long weekend birthday celebration for his 30th planned with some friends. He is going to be very disappointed but seriously it will take several weeks, at a minimum, to get things remotely cleaned up and open around the island. At this point I am not sure it would be much of a vacation.

The best pictures\videos I have found so far of HHI are from the Island Packet newspaper @ islandpacket.com.

Well, he can always reschedule or DW and I will gladly use the points!

Last edited:
Also, just received a phone call from DVC MS, the CM told me the resort would be closed until the 16th at a minimum. The refunded all of our points. Not sure if my points were 2015 UY (Dec UY) but if they were, I was told they would be banked and we could use them next year. DW and I were really looking forward to the trip but since we dealt with "Sandy" a few years back we know what the people down there are dealing with and it's nothing compared with a missed vacation.

Idiots do not run Disney - accountants do...... The Governor and her crew said at a 11 AM Press conference today that HH got slammed the south portion of the Island got the worst of it. They may let RESIDENTS in on Tuesday, but, they continued to stress - that is no promise. So I think Wednesday is a pipe-dream.

Random thoughts:
  • Disney setting expectations before they had any info sounds irresponsible. DVC Members have flights, rental cars, etc. The locals need to get in there and start about getting their life and home backs - if possible.
  • I am certain that DVC has an employee or two on-site who is getting info to the mother-ship on the extent of the damage. But, are they structural engineers?
  • That said - Disney seems to overbuild their resort properties - so - I am thinking the property probably held up better then others on the island. We will see in time.
  • I certainly understand Disney want to open their doors to guests asap. Tourism to HH fuels the local economy - so I think every merchant wants to put this behind them and move forward. But, you can't call it soup until it is soup - and I am not sure they have yet taken the Carrots and Celery out of the fridge (if they can be found on the Island).
  • I feel so sorry to all the CM's and all the hourly workers on the Island. On one hand they may have ton's of clean-up issues to deal with. On the other hand, they probably will not get a paycheck for this period.

Lets just hope it all works out.

Idiots do not run Disney - accountants do...... The Governor and her crew said at a 11 AM Press conference today that HH got slammed the south portion of the Island got the worst of it. They may let RESIDENTS in on Tuesday, but, they continued to stress - that is no promise. So I think Wednesday is a pipe-dream.

Random thoughts:
  • Disney setting expectations before they had any info sounds irresponsible. DVC Members have flights, rental cars, etc. The locals need to get in there and start about getting their life and home backs - if possible.
  • I am certain that DVC has an employee or two on-site who is getting info to the mother-ship on the extent of the damage. But, are they structural engineers?
  • That said - Disney seems to overbuild their resort properties - so - I am thinking the property probably held up better then others on the island. We will see in time.
  • I certainly understand Disney want to open their doors to guests asap. Tourism to HH fuels the local economy - so I think every merchant wants to put this behind them and move forward. But, you can't call it soup until it is soup - and I am not sure they have yet taken the Carrots and Celery out of the fridge (if they can be found on the Island).
  • I feel so sorry to all the CM's and all the hourly workers on the Island. On one hand they may have ton's of clean-up issues to deal with. On the other hand, they probably will not get a paycheck for this period.

Lets just hope it all works out.

I am an accountant... the terms "idiots" and "accountants" are not mutually exclusive. I have worked with some real idiots in my profession.

Folks you aren't going back on the 16th. There's no food, there's no potable water, there's no sewer system.

I am an accountant... the terms "idiots" and "accountants" are not mutually exclusive. I have worked with some real idiots in my profession.
As a recovering bean counter I'd agree that there are certainly some idiot accountants out there. (present company excluded) I'd also say that having a company run by an accountant isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially where fiscal responsibility is important.

However, Bob Iger isn't an accountant to my knowledge.

i am very interested in hearing how everyone is. I s baloo ok? is shadow ok? is keana ok? having lived in florida for 40 years and been through devastating hurricanes, these people have personal lives that have been affected. perhaps their cars are flooded, perhaps their houses have trees in them. Im wondering what can I do? How are my cast members? do they need clothes, water, what? and if they do not have personal trauma, I can bet someone they know and loves has damage. so once they clean up their own lives, they will go and help loved ones. If anyone has any news on cast members, I am waiting on news

As a recovering bean counter I'd agree that there are certainly some idiot accountants out there. (present company excluded) I'd also say that having a company run by an accountant isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially where fiscal responsibility is important.

However, Bob Iger isn't an accountant to my knowledge.

Actually most accountants would understand long term vs. short term and not be as motivated to grab all the cash you can today at the risk of ongoing cash flow next year. They would also understand that allowing guests into an unsafe environment (no water, no sewer, no medical services etc...) creates a potential liability that far exceed that short term cash grab.

I have been an owner at HH for many years and have visited several times during that period. To me, it seems obvious that many of the comments on this thread are being made by people who are neither familiar with the island, the geography, and the Disney resort at Hilton Head. I also have had first-hand experience with Disney's response to Florida hurricanes, both at WDW and on Disney Cruise Line. DVC was by far the most responsive and upfront part of Disney in my experience. At HH, the Disney resort is pretty much in the middle of the island and does not have direct exposure to the ocean itself. In addition, the codes have all the buildings at the resort with no ground floor with the exception of the recreation window at the store. Even the Beach House is some distance from the ocean itself and is built on high ground with the building itself up a full flight of stairs from both the beach and the land side. When I was at WDW during Hurricane Francis in 2004, there was damage to the roofs of some of the resorts, but the parks reopened one by one the day after the storm went through.

At Hilton Head, there has been a problem with wind pushing rain water into the outside elements of the buildings and we had an assessment to do some of the planned refurbishments/maintenance earlier than anticipated several years ago. I trust Disney if they say that they are ready to re-open. I am positive that they have done the appropriate due diligence. That said, reopening the resort is so dependent on many other things on the Island and, it should be noted, would not be the highest priority among the many things that have to occur to keep people and property safe in the aftermath of Matthew. Furthermore, Hilton Head is heavily dependent on other support businesses on the island, from groceries to gas stations to the hospital to restaurants, not to mention basic public services (including roads) that the Disney resort may need to wait longer to reopen than the condition of the resort itself would necessitate. I pray for all people affected by the hurricane and hope that the damage to property is repaired quickly and effectively. Best wishes to all who will be visiting this wonderful place in the near future. Be vigilant, but have faith.

Here's link to current power outages, http://64.203.243.70:83/. I've been following all local fb pages. Yes HHI residents r allowed back in some parts of the island, not all. Checkpoints r making sure of that and to avoid any unscrupulous contractors, etc don't enter the island. By the pics I saw yes Disney did very well but the Palmetto Dune beach along with the rest of the beaches have minimal dunes left. Massive tree branches and debris all over! This wii take months to clean up and hopefully days to get all utilities up and running. I would seriously reconsider any vacation in the near couple of months to be rescheduled. Just my opinion!

I just saw this link to a question/answer on the Island Packet's Facebook page about whether someone should keep their vacation plans - http://www.islandpacket.com/news/weather/hurricane/article107487332.html

I have a vacation scheduled on Hilton Head. Should I still come?

This depends.

Hilton Head Island will start allowing residents back on the island at 3 p.m. Tuesday. Businesses and service workers have already been allowed back on.

The island is still recovering from a hurricane, though. This means limited power, phone, water and sewer, along with road access in some places.

But before making any decision about your vacation, first check with the hotel, resort, timeshare or golf course where you have reservations to find out whether they will be open and what conditions will be like if they are.

The Hilton Head Island Airport will open at 3 p.m. Tuesday, but the Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport will not be open until Monday.

Go to the Hilton Head Island Visitor & Convention Bureau website for more information.

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/news/weather/hurricane/article107487332.html#storylink=cpy

I believe they are mistaken on the Savannah airport though, it looks like it opened yesterday 10/10.

Here's a link to the Mayor of HHI it will give you a general sense of how the whole island is doing. Again from what I've seen Disney HHI and Shelter Cove Harbor (directly across from Disney) faired very well just tree debris. BUT the Palmetto Dunes beach itself has lost most of its dunes, debris along the beach and Palmetto Dunes in general still has a lot of tree debris along the side streets. Yes they will need your vacation monies but u also spent a lot, so please check in on the above and my links to stay updated. This island just reopend yesterday to residents. Stores, gas, and all utilities are not fully up and running.
https://www.facebook.com/MayorDavidBennett/

I just got off the phone with MS and was told that the official line currently is a 10/17 opening. Anyone with ressies up to that date can call and get them cancelled "with no penalty" (not sure of the specifics).
DH, DS & I had planned to drive down next Friday 10/21 for a week. Am still on the fence about this...DS doesn't think he can reschedule his vacation time with his employer (but he hasn't asked). Also, DH had a total knee replacement 4 weeks ago and we were really looking forward to relaxing in the sunshine for a few days. I guess we'll see what 10/17 brings.

I just got off the phone with MS and was told that the official line currently is a 10/17 opening. Anyone with ressies up to that date can call and get them cancelled "with no penalty" (not sure of the specifics).
DH, DS & I had planned to drive down next Friday 10/21 for a week. Am still on the fence about this...DS doesn't think he can reschedule his vacation time with his employer (but he hasn't asked). Also, DH had a total knee replacement 4 weeks ago and we were really looking forward to relaxing in the sunshine for a few days. I guess we'll see what 10/17 brings.

Just saw this on FB, keep in mind Disney was not affected as badly as other parts of this island. There r some links above u should follow. I don't think they know, at this point how this is going to pan out.
FYI - COPIED FROM ANOTHER FB PAGE -

PSD#1 REPORTS THE FOLLOWING:

If you haven't returned, you may consider waiting. The water/sewer system is in disrepair and we do not know when it will be fully operational. THIS IS SYSTEM WIDE, not just in Indigo Run. Also in this predicament are Hilton Head Plantation and Port Royal Plantation.

Pete Nardi of Hilton Head PSD has informed us that their entire system has hundreds of line breaks - both water and sewer. This was caused principally by fallen trees that have either ripped up lines by their root systems, or trees falling on sewer pump stations. Additionally, some of the breaks have been caused by debris cleanup efforts as well. Pete tells us this is a common experience for southeast utilities hit by hurricanes.

That is why the order to not flush and refrain from water use came to us yesterday afternoon. As soon as people started returning and using the system, and debris removal operations ramped up, more and more of the breaks became evident. Water pressure is low as a result. This also effects the pump systems. If people continue to use the sewer and water systems we could see backups of the sewer lines and a potential health emergency. As repairs are being made there will be interruptions of service while broken lines will be isolated and repaired. It will likely be an off/on and restriction situation for days at least.

“WIDOWMAKERS & LEANERS”

Please be advised that there are countless numbers of “Widowmakers & Leaners” county-wide. A WIDOWMAKER is a dangling branch overhead; a LEANER is a tree, large or small, whose root system has been compromised but is either leaning on another tree or a building or just teetering on its own.

In our recovery efforts we have personally experienced the heart-stopping effects of at least two (2) very large “leaners” that gave up and fell extremely close to our crews.

PLEASE DO NOT WALK AROUND YOUR BUILDINGS AND PROPERTIES. Doing so can and will put you at risk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter