Hurricane Matthew vs HHI....

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
We don't have a trip planned to HHI until April, but we do own points at HHI. I've been glued to The Weather Channel and Florida is the main topic with the Carolinas as an afterthought. I realize that the storm path is difficult to predict, but I'm seeing concern about the damage that will hit Florida if it "loops". There has not been any mention at all, even here on the DisBoards, about the impact that this could have on HHI. I know that Vero Beach is in real danger of severe damage, but since my financial interest is at HHI, I am really curious about what may happen there. The models show that HHI will be along the same path as the Florida coastline so I guess I am sitting here assuming that it will be hit just as hard.

Can anyone with more hurricane knowledge than me please enlighten me? I live on the west side of Michigan so I will happily explain lake-effect snow:cold:, but hurricanes are way out of my comfort zone.

On a slightly related note, we are leaving next Friday night for our trip to WDW. My sister is FREAKING OUT because she believes that we may have travel delays and rain/storms for the whole week. I keep trying to tell her that even if Matthew "loops", the storm itself will be gone by Tuesday. I realize that there could be a lot of storm damage, but I would assume that it won't effect the major stuff in Orlando, like WDW and MCO...our only two destinations. Am I being too optimistic? Is it realistic to believe that our trip will be severely impacted by this storm?

As long as you aren't going to VB or HHI next week, you'll probably be okay. My son has already been informed of the need for overtime once the storm passes (he's a gardener at the MK). Every day the parks are closed, Disney is losing money. They'll reopen everything as soon as they can.

They are saying the hurricane may make landfall at Cape Canaveral, which is very near VB.

I do know that Hilton Head Island is under a mandatory evacuation order. This is the first time in 18 years that there's been such an order. Since I haven't had such an order where we live, I don't know if that means that everyone has left the HHI resort today or if some CMs stay. I do know that people who had reservations that began within the next few days got calls to reschedule, but I don't know the specifics. For those who frequent Facebook, DHHIR has a Facebook page.

We'll be arriving Sun, Oct 16 so I've been a little concerned about how HHI will be affected too. I know the storm will have passed by then but wonder about how much damage there'll be & if everything will be back to normal in a week.

It is a little early to predict the strength of Hurricane Matthew for HHI at this point, as while it is going up the coast of Florida and Georgia could reduce it or strengthen the storm. It is obvious that officials are worried though. We can only hope it will be very little damage to the main part of the resort and most of the damage is to the beach and beach house buildings. Keep in mind the resort does have insurance and Disney did give a loan to the resort before so the membership could pay off the damages over a number of years and perhaps they would be willing to do it now if need be.

I doubt that the beach will be fixed within a week.

We were just evacuated from HHI yesterday. On Tuesday, we were driving back from the beach house when we heard on the radio about the evacuation. We immediately went to the front desk and asked about it. We were first told we could leave whenever and that they would have a skeleton cast to maintain the resort. Then we were told if we stayed, we could be arrested. We received a letter on Tuesday afternoon in our room about the evacuation; they suggested we leave earlier rather than later. We were going to be checking out this morning anyway so we decided to go ahead and leave a little before the evacuation time yesterday to get ahead of the traffic. We were a little frustrated that we were trying to enjoy our last night there, but the pool was closed and all the nightly activities were cancelled. Then EVERYTHING at the resort and beach house was closed down yesterday except they were giving us free breakfast at Tide Me Over since almost all restaurants on the island were shut down. That was a super nice gesture, but the lack of communication and the differences in what we were being told was frustrating. We weren't told about the free breakfast. I just mentioned getting something for lunch before leaving, and that's when the front desk CM mentioned the free breakfast. We lost one night but felt like we lost two since everything shut down as soon as the evacuation order went out. CMs were turning picnic tables upside down and chaining them down. All rocking chairs and tables were being moved into the rooms. The night before up to 20 cars were parked out on William Hilton Parkway lined up at the gas stations. Yesterday, all gas was gone on the island. We talked to an elderly couple who were planning on staying. Someone was telling them to leave since the highest point on the island is on a golf course and is only 13 feet above sea level. It's definitely scary, but many people told us what we've been told before. Everything from Savannah to Charleston usually doesn't get hit very hard since it sits inland more. I don't know if this is true, but I'm hoping it is! We may go back to Hilton Head in December to use our last night's worth of points. I'm just hoping it's still there!

ETA--We did get to enjoy the beach for a couple of days. The beach in front of the beach house was supposed to be closed while we were there, but they stopped the renourishment and moved all the equipment in to prepare for the hurricane.

Last edited:
We are scheduled to arrive at HHI next Friday, IF the storm is as predicted it sounds like the resort will receive major damage that will not be realistically fixable in a week. Obviously, then our trip would be canceled. How does DVC reimburse you for the points ?? Are you awarded points for the following year or is it a monetary reimbursement ??

We are scheduled to arrive at HHI next Friday, IF the storm is as predicted it sounds like the resort will receive major damage that will not be realistically fixable in a week. Obviously, then our trip would be canceled. How does DVC reimburse you for the points ?? Are you awarded points for the following year or is it a monetary reimbursement ??
I'm not 100% sure, but all I can tell you is what happened to us. We left yesterday but were supposed to stay until today. We were given our points back for last night, which was 14 points for a studio. I was told they would go back into our membership as if we never used them. I couldn't remember which UY they had come from so I contacted MS through an online chat (since they were already closed for the day) and learned that the 14 points would go back into my June 2016 UY, but that 7 of the points had been banked from 2015. When I looked at my account yesterday, all 14 points were in my 2016 UY but they were in holding. I called MS and they said they shouldn't be. They submitted a form to move them out of holding and said it would be 3-5 days before they would show up normally. She did say she could go ahead and bank them into 2017, which I didn't think she would be able to bank 7 of them so I'm confused. I told her we may try to head back in a couple of months so I didn't want to bank them just yet. MS is closed today so I'll have to wait and figure it all out in a few days.

Thanks for the information. I guess will see what kind of damage, if any hopefully, occurs to HHI. I'll call member services on Monday and see what options I will have. I believe my points are for Dec 2016 UY so I won't be able to use them by then. As you noted, they'll have to bank them.

As an owner at HHI and VB, a resident of SC, and someone with a trip planned to WDW next week, I have got a lot of skin in the game. Keeping fingers crossed. Stay safe everyone!!

There are very few people left on the island. The police and fire departments will leave midday today.

Your big problem is flooding. I have a few friends there and at least one them is convinced he is not coming back to a house due to where it is.

On a slightly related note, we are leaving next Friday night for our trip to WDW. My sister is FREAKING OUT because she believes that we may have travel delays and rain/storms for the whole week. I keep trying to tell her that even if Matthew "loops", the storm itself will be gone by Tuesday. I realize that there could be a lot of storm damage, but I would assume that it won't effect the major stuff in Orlando, like WDW and MCO...our only two destinations. Am I being too optimistic? Is it realistic to believe that our trip will be severely impacted by this storm?
Barring any severe damage at WDW--and that is appearing less likely as the storm moves north--your trip should be fine. I can't speak to the airline side of things as that could take some time to return to normal; however, even those troubles, delays, et.al., should largely be over by then. I have a daughter and her family riding out Matthew in Orlando (they live in Melbourne), and despite some high winds and rain, so far all is fine. They haven't even lost power in their hotel. . .yet. Still several hours to go before the worst has passed, but my educated guess is you will have a fine time at the World. ;)

I'm beginning to think we should cancel our trip to Hilton Head next week.

They are saying that because the storm surge is going to be concurrent with the high tide, there will be 3-6' or more of water covering what is normally dry land. If they are right, I imagine there will be significant damage that will take more than a week to clean up. I would seriously consider cancelling and trying to rebook for another time.

We arrived at HHI on Sunday the 2nd and had two awesome days Sunday and Monday. Tuesday was grey and very windy on the beach but the storm was still below Cuba. The wind up at the beach house pool was not bad and a nice demo but quite overcast. We heard about the evacuation but did not have anything in our unit until that evening when we returned from Hudson's. We saw very long lines for gas but both our cars had half tanks and figured we could make it well inland if we were going to be evacuated.

My DW stopped by the front desk on our way back in and got the scoop on Wednesday and departure. I am not sure about a free breakfast but she said the front desk was very helpful and was clear on points to be returned for Wed and Thu.

We left around 10am on Wednesday morning...takes a bit to get all that stuff for a week out of a GV...but were able to fill up our tanks at Shelter Cove without any one waiting in line. A lot of other stations were out though.

We decided to head back to Charlotte across country and avoid I95/I26 at all costs. A nice pleasant ride taking 278 over to 601, then up to Lugoff and over to Ridgeway and on to I77. It took us a little longer but no traffic to speak of. We even stopped at Cracker Barrel in Orangeburg and did not have to wait but a couple of minutes for a table. That was nice after the frustration of what the weather forecast was supposed to be.

Hope all works out OK for the resort, the island and the many folks who live and work there. Our son will be back down next weekend if all is up and running.

Looks like the eyewall went right over Hilton Head this morning. Hope the resort wasn't too damaged.
Did they make everyone leave? or were people still staying there?

Looks like the eyewall went right over Hilton Head this morning. Hope the resort wasn't too damaged.
Did they make everyone leave? or were people still staying there?
I think I heard on TWC that the police and fire departments had left the island so I would assume that the Disney resort followed suit. If there was an emergency, there would be nobody to respond.

I have to admit that I am wondering about HHI too. I forgot that the resort is really on an island within the island of HHI. I wouldn't be surprised if the marshland all flooded with the storm surge. Good thing the buildings are all elevated.

I'm beginning to think we should cancel our trip to Hilton Head next week.
I'm very concerned too. We are supposed to fly into Savannah on 10/21, staying for 2 nights, and then head to Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort for a 5 night stay on 10/23. I'm not sure what to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter