Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

Disney Springs to reopen at 5pm for Disney resort hotel guests only
per WDWmagic

upload_2016-10-7_14-5-2.jpeg

They were on MANDATORY evacuation and are just stupid. Sorry but they are. They wanted an adventure - so be it. My place is there, so I'm glued to all videos. I know the building, it's right on the bay across from the sea wall ......... stupid.

Casablanca Inn facing the bay ................... this is their view ...............and that to the left is the inlet to the ocean ......... stupid.

DSC7829casblanca-room-720130826.jpg
We've boated through there a few times. Isn't the Castillo just to the left? Dumb decision by all involved.

Surviving at Caribbean Beach. Did some pre-planning at Epcot's F&W festival center yesterday. Hanging out in one room w all the kids playing w hr toys Tinker Bell had brought them and watching movies. Libations for the adults.

Attachments

• IMG_5092.JPG
    IMG_5092.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 107
Curfew is going to be lifted at 2pm today. I checked Open Table to see if anything is open today and Frontera Cocina, Raglan Road and Paradiso 37 are taking reservations for today. Not sure if they are actually open or if they didn't fix their Open Table availability.
Man I would be headed over to Frontera Cocina!!!

I wonder how they're planning on enforcing that little condition?
Maybe magic bands must be scanned

Maybe they closed the gates to all World entrances so only guests inside get around

Maybe they are just saying that so the general public doesn't all come because nothing else is open yet

Maybe I'm just making it all up

Well I checked my United flight to MCO tomorrow and it is still scheduled to land at about 7pm. Do you guys out there think the stores will still be empty? I am bringing a big bag of granola bars and stuff (ok, donuts) and we plan on eating at Earl of Sandwich. I hope there are no surprises. Glad all you peeps onsite are having fun!

How can Orlando have direct hit, yes the eye can pass over but it must travel through several Counties prior to arrival in Orlando, Orange County....reguardless of the direction it comes from? So which ever coastal city it enters from gets the full direct hit. As it travels across land the wind does weaken. The warm waters are what keeps the winds intense. So yes, it will never get the head on full force direct hit.

Thank you. ..thank you ...thank you... for some reason many do not understand that point.

Hmmmmmm......do a Google search on Hurricane Opal from 1995. Opal went through Alabama as a hurricane after it came ashore from the panhandle and didnt get classified as a tropical storm until it got to Tennessee.
Also, I believe there was a similar circumstance with Joaquin when it came ashore in South Carolina.

Opal remained a hurricane for nearly 12 hours after landfall, its rapid forward speed propelling it the entire length of Alabama before being downgraded to a tropical storm as it crossed into Tennessee. Over the following 12 hours, it was not downgraded to a tropical depression until it reached Ohio, and not declared extratropical until reaching Canada, where it still managed to bring squally conditions.

I just watched a video on fb of Pluto and goofy doing the cha cha slide at all star sports with a bunch of happy kids. I hope that anyone with young kids goes and makes some memories and isn't sitting on their phone on this board arguing over direct hits.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
They're checking the water and setting the boats up for tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 166
From the National Hurricane Centre --

Direct Hit

tropical cyclone to a particular location. For locations on the left-hand side of a tropical cyclone's track (looking in the direction of motion), a direct hit occurs when the cyclone passes to within a distance equal to the cyclone's radius of maximum wind. For locations on the right-hand side of the track, a direct hit occurs when the cyclone passes to within a distance equal to twice the radius of maximum wind. Compare indirect hit, strike.

Indirect Hit:
Generally refers to locations that do not experience a direct hit from a tropical cyclone, but do experience hurricane force winds (either sustained or gusts) or tides of at least 4 feet above normal.

Strike:

For any particular location, a hurricane strike occurs if that location passes within the hurricane's strike circle, a circle of 125 n mi diameter, centered 12.5 n mi to the right of the hurricane cen

The maximum wind & the term direct is how some view direct as the landfall because it weakens as it travels.
There are many of us that viewed it that way, maybe not on here. Thank you for this clarification. The word direct is deceiving. Direct means nothing in between. .. so when you have direct and maximum winds, logically it's landfall. But can't go against NOAA (even if their predictions are usually off ;) unless you're a meteorologist predicting the path of Charlie lol

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter