Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

Here now. High winds and rain. Was at epcot in morning and it torrents. Then they annonce closing at 5pm. The place was emptying fast..most food and wine closed early.

Do you guys think Disney would give me a full refund for my two week stay if I was meant to arrive on Saturday ? My family and I are coming all the way from France and we're not sure we want to leave our beautiful weather behind us to come to a devastated area and risky area ...

We might not be able to get a refund for the plane tickets unless our flight gets cancelled but getting our Disney money back would be good enough.

It is hard to say now. I would imagine if the area is "deastate and risky" then they would be canceling flights and all of it will be no issue. If you aren't flying until Saturday it is possible you'll be fine but it is also possible that MCO won't be open yet or will be severely limited. It is very hard to say what Saturday will look like.

You are probably right, but I hope that this information hits the media. WDW should be publicly shamed for taking advantage of patrons with so limited options like this.

ETA - They gave away food during Floyd in 1999. This company has really changed.

This is Disney. Everything is expensive. Moreover, these CM's are rushing to make all of you something you can eat that won't go bad over the next 36 hours. You know, the people who can't go home because they work at a resort with people who are choosing to ride out a hurricane. They aren't on vacation. They are scared they will be losing their family, friends and everthing they own while people are angry they are getting charged high money at a vacation resort.
Yes, it's overpriced. If it's too much, dont give Disney your money. You could have grabbed a taxi earlier today to a grocery store, gotten chips, salsa, fruit and other food throughout the resort on your way to your room. You could have gone by Earl of Sandwich.
It's truly awful that everyone is stuck in such a scary situation. I hope everyone stays safe and well. But I think there are bigger concerns than getting price gouged during a hurricane.

It is hard to say now. I would imagine if the area is "deastate and risky" then they would be canceling flights and all of it will be no issue. If you aren't flying until Saturday it is possible you'll be fine but it is also possible that MCO won't be open yet or will be severely limited. It is very hard to say what Saturday will look like.

I'm also referring to their hurrican policy "If you are scheduled to arrive within 7 days of a hurricane warning, you may call us in advance to reschedule without a Disney imposed change fee."

Since the alert was issued yesterday ... I guess it could work.

We have no cable at AoA but I'm not as concerned about updates right now as I am keeping my kid amused and not scared.
Since a lot of ya will have bored kids, ya may look into if you got a computer reputable free game sites like steam or bigfishgames. Grab em a free game or two before the storm hits bigfishgames has 1 hour trials. never used steams free games though. If you have youtubered you have options to downlaod video sfor later viewing.

Please everyone get your food, snacks and charge your devices. Keep them charged and follow the cast members directions. Do not assume there will be food available tomorrow. I am watching the news from here in Tampa and it doesn't look pretty. Fill up the ice buckets, any ziplock bags you have as well with Ice. Request the extra towels now don't wait. The weather is just going to get worse as the night goes on. Also charge your camera batteries as you can use the flash as a light.

I have 2 friends (one from SC and one from GA) evacuate closer to Atlanta.
I live in SC and my in laws have evacuated to Atlanta. We have five pets, so we're just waiting it out. Almost all of our windows are boarded up, we're saving up ice and water, we're charging every electronic time killer we have in case we lose power, etc.

Been sitting here on the bed and looked at the phone. Need vm light flashing. No ring ring on phone so that's disturbing

Anyways. Restaurants at resorts are only taking dinners from that resort not others.

Also quick service is available as well as the box

Nothing else new

But the place is packed. I took a pano pic of CBR's OPR but it's too large to post here from my phone

IMG_3151.JPG Here you can see the umbrella so are holding the tables down. The umbrellas are pinned into a pole in the concrete

IMG_3152.JPG
The volleyball poles got a divorce and one side got custody of the net. Also the beach chairs got tied to each other earlier this morning so now instead of five projectiles there will be one per beach

IMG_3153.JPG
And finally the Caribbean Push got ziptied to the bench. Or the bench got zip tied to Push I'm not sure

I'm also referring to their hurrican policy "If you are scheduled to arrive within 7 days of a hurricane warning, you may call us in advance to reschedule without a Disney imposed change fee."

Since the alert was issued yesterday ... I guess it could work.

You could cancel under that policy it would seem since it is currently under a a watch/warning.

Rumor is southwest has cancelled all Orlando flights through Sunday
They did. I had a stopover in Atlanta, but fortunately one flight opened up with a stopover to Denver. Honestly, I don't even care if we miss our beaches and cream adr (which i'll be cancelling, better for the people that are there, who need to eat) on saturday. Even if we're just at our resort, I'll be grateful to be in disneyworld.

Somewhat of a giggle amidst all the havoc: My DD (a CM) was at MK as they were ushering folks out at 5pm (called a Hard close). Her job was to (in her words) "tell people no". She said she really couldn't get past the fact that Disney was actually telling the CM's to tell people "no you can't go into the store to shop we are closed".

I see that someone paid $13 for a boxed lunch and others taking about how crazy that is of Disney... I know if I had no where to go and I had to stay at Disney I would have look up a grocery store delivery to bring food and water!

Our rebooked flight on Southwest that was arriving in MCO late Saturday afternoon has now been cancelled. We were meeting up with a friend that is already in the BWV we were sharing ☹️️. We can't reschedule because of my work schedule unfortunately, so we are cancelling our entire trip ☹️️. Stay safe everyone.

Somewhat of a giggle amidst all the havoc: My DD (a CM) was at MK as they were ushering folks out at 5pm (called a Hard close). Her job was to (in her words) "tell people no". She said she really couldn't get past the fact that Disney was actually telling the CM's to tell people "no you can't go into the store to shop we are closed".

When as a CM you are allowed to say No then you know things are serious. It always amazes me though when you can say "For your safety I need to you leave this area" and people still say but but but I want to buy this at this shop. What do people not understand about get out it isn't safe?

I see that someone paid $13 for a boxed lunch and others taking about how crazy that is of Disney... I know if I had no where to go and I had to stay at Disney I would have look up a grocery store delivery to bring food and water!

I don't think many grocery stores in the area are going to be delivering in the middle of tropical storm conditions...nor do many likely have any sort of inventory left to deliver anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter