Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

Hi everyone, been on hold with Disney for over 2 hours and trying to get an answer about Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. We have tickets for Thursday night and that looks like the worst of the weather. FWIW, we are Floridians so we don't mind rain and are driving from the south, where we may be harder hit. Does anyone have experience with getting a refund for a one-off event like the Halloween party? Unfortunately we don't think we will have another night we can go to it. Ideally we will go the following night (Friday) but that will depend on being able to get out of South Florida and drive up. I would rather cancel the ticket and then purchase it day of if we make it up there. Any advice is most welcome - thanks!

We were able to get a refund on our MNSSHP tickets in 2012. There were very very heavy rains and thunderstorms - they cancelled one parade I believe, and did actually end up doing the fireworks much much later. We went to the party and headed back out after about an hour. DH went to guest services - where there was a massive line. I think he was in line over an hour, but did get a refund. Not sure how it would go now?

Didn't somebody say that if they canceled the party then the ticket would be turned into a 1 day hopper ticket? I think it was posted on another thread.

We were scheduled to fly into Orlando from Boston late Thursday evening on Delta. We were able to change to a very (very) early Thursday morning flight into Tampa. We rent a car anyway, and so it's no biggie to add the hour or two drive instead of getting stuck in whatever cascade of flight cancellations are bound to occur. Delta charged no fees to change the flight, and also didn't charge the increase in fare. No charge at all to make the change. Very pleased with Delta customer service today considering how overwhelmed they must have been.

Planning on missing out on MNSSHP on Thursday night at this point, and hugely disappointed. But maybe we'll get some money back.

So we are set to fly from manchester at 6:30 friday to land in orlando at 9:30 am. I've spoken to southwest and they won't let you change airports at all, and there are no flights I can get my group of 7 on for saturday, and this was a 4 day/3 night trip so we don't have many options. We'd have to reschedule within 14 days which isn't possible with work and school schedules, so we're waiting it out. If the flights are cancelled, we get a refund. And Disney said we can even call on Friday and change our reservation to a future date, so we won't lose any money there. We're going on the "pack and get ready as if we are going" assumption with the knowledge that in all likelihood, the weekend will be cancelled on us.

Fingers crossed for you mswhittaker! Keep us informed!

Yeah, I'm hoping the silver lining to losing a day of our trip is that crowds will be LOW!!!!

I honestly don't think it will be a lost day. Yes the park will probably close down thursday evening into friday morning but once the heavy rain turns into just rain things will open up if it's early enough. The one thing I always loved about rushing down for hurricanes was how empty it was after it happens. It's a blurry daydream empty and you will experience more than any other trip as long as the crowds did get caught off guard and didn't come instead of coming in a day early.

Didn't somebody say that if they canceled the party then the ticket would be turned into a 1 day hopper ticket? I think it was posted on another thread.

The last time they did something resembling a mass refund it was a free ticket to a future party (2 weeks away) and anyone that couldn't make it could request the 1 day hopper that expires in a year. Now many did argue their money back, and some used the trick of go back to the resort and get the refund from the resort instead of waiting around for guest relations with impossibly long lines. I'm not sure if the resort trick is more successful at higher prices resorts but I was surprised when I heard people did this. It does make sense, guest relations has thousands demanding money to deal with, resorts got a couple if that many and they are trained to keep you happy (and not at the party being told the only options they are approved to do).

I'm not sure what would happen for a situation like this. I only know of 3 parties that ever did anything resembling a reschedule or refund (2 in 2014 for heavy nonstop rain the entire week). I've never heard of a hurricane impacting a party so this is new ground and I can't see disney not trying to make it right for everyone in a meaningful way.

Gosh,
We have such a similar plan. We also had an afternoon flight on delta out of Boston to Orlando. We would have arrived in Orlando about 6pm. We were able to change it to a morning flight but we have to connect in Atlanta. It will still get us into Orlando at about 230. We have friends in Atlanta so we wouldn't mind getting stuck there if things get really
We were scheduled to fly into Orlando from Boston late Thursday evening on Delta. We were able to change to a very (very) early Thursday morning flight into Tampa. We rent a car anyway, and so it's no biggie to add the hour or two drive instead of getting stuck in whatever cascade of flight cancellations are bound to occur. Delta charged no fees to change the flight, and also didn't charge the increase in fare. No charge at all to make the change. Very pleased with Delta customer service today considering how overwhelmed they must have been.

Planning on missing out on MNSSHP on Thursday night at this point, and hugely disappointed. But maybe we'll get some money back.
So we are set to fly from manchester at 6:30 friday to land in orlando at 9:30 am. I've spoken to southwest and they won't let you change airports at all, and there are no flights I can get my group of 7 on for saturday, and this was a 4 day/3 night trip so we don't have many options. We'd have to reschedule within 14 days which isn't possible with work and school schedules, so we're waiting it out. If the flights are cancelled, we get a refund. And Disney said we can even call on Friday and change our reservation to a future date, so we won't lose any money there. We're going on the "pack and get ready as if we are going" assumption with the knowledge that in all likelihood, the weekend will be cancelled on us.

I'm trying to stay positive- we are scheduled to fly out of Hartford Friday morning on SW, arriving around 10:30 am in MCO. We also don't have much wiggle room.

I was seriously considering getting a room on property for a couple of days so I don't have as far to drive to and from work on Thursday night and Friday morning... Pretty much everything is booked. I guess I can sleep in my break room at work if I have to! :crazy2:

(My neighborhood floods and loses power at the drop of a hat!)

Highly unlikely the parks will close. It'll just be some rainy days at Disney. However if they do close the parks though then yes the resorts take care of their guests with food

With Hurricane Charley, the parks closed at 1:00 p.m. the day of the storm, which hit about 9 p.m. The food courts were open for quests coming back from the park, but by 5:00 p.m. they were closed at All Star Music. The CM's handed out all kinds of chips. Therefore, I advise that if the parks are going to close, that people hit the food courts before they close and stock up. (we got extra pizza, fruit and cheese and snacks) (they did reopen about 11:00 p.m. after Charley went through). No one will starve in one day, but it's always good to have food and snacks on hand when stuck in your room. (Disney also played disney movies on all tv channels).

ADR's are popping up like crazy! We're flying in tomorrow night and I just saw a 1PM lunch at CRT on Thursday! Should I snag it and risk it? Surely they'd be lenient on cancellations at this point, right?

ADR's are popping up like crazy! We're flying in tomorrow night and I just saw a 1PM lunch at CRT on Thursday! Should I snag it and risk it? Surely they'd be lenient on cancellations at this point, right?
I would go for it! I was just checking the dinning myself hoping to score a princess meal.

yeah, we couldn't change airports either. Had to keep the same arrival and departure airports to avoid any change fees, or fare change costs.

Our rooms are prepaid and even a Hurricane can't get a refund so we are going. I'm not worried about the weather once we get there, I've gone through similar before. I know how beautiful things are on the back side.

I just booked new dining for Thursday and Friday! At our resort, not in the parks, but the cancellations popped up so i grabbed them just in case!

they are lenient with cancelations everyday, most just don't ask for it..

Love that! We'll totally ask if we get stormed out! :) I know I'm being optimistic but this could work out okay for those of us who can actually get safely in to town! I appreciate the tales of magical parks post storms!

I was seriously considering getting a room on property for a couple of days so I don't have as far to drive to and from work on Thursday night and Friday morning... Pretty much everything is booked. I guess I can sleep in my break room at work if I have to! :crazy2:

(My neighborhood floods and loses power at the drop of a hat!)

I wondered if they'd have someplace for CM's to stay at the parks?? It's a lot to ask them to come to work if they're fighting weather and roads. I hope your neighborhood stays safe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter