Hurricane Katrina Update

Sending Prayers From The North Carolina Coast. We Live About An Hour Away From The Coast And Would Be Evacuating Right Now If Katrina Was Coming Our Way. Everyone Here Is Praying For All In Katrinas Path. Please Stay Safe And May God Be With You.

WOW! She has really become a massive storm! I feel so badly for all of you in her path! Please make sure you get out and be safe! I will have you all in my prayers! We have been watching the news about it all morning and hate that anyone is having to be hit with such a storm. I hope she weakens before arriving! ((((HUGS))))) and prayers to you all! Be safe and check in when you can! :grouphug:

My family in south Mississippi is evacuating too. My prayers are with you all!

I've heard many people interviewed on the news who chose to "ride it out" and not evacuate when these terrible storms have hit. Without exception, they regretted their decision, saying that it was much more frightening than they had anticipated! Those of you who are in the storm's path, (especially somewhere like Baton Rouge!) and are planning to stay, please, please reconsider! We want you to be around afterwards!!! :guilty:

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We are luckier than many in south La., we do not live in an area prone to flooding (that is the main concern for many south La. residents). We will have to contend with the strong winds. We have a large generator and and are well stocked with supplies. We are still hoping that the storm turns more easterly, sparing us and more importantly New Orleans the worst case scnenario. This storm could very well flood the entire city of New Orleans with 20+ feet of water if it comes in to the direct west of the city. Well, back to storm prep.
Kim

I have recently heard that it is almost up to a cat. 6 or in other words... A typhoon.
I am scared about it and I live all the way up here in NY. It was also recently put at 906 ... The lower the number the worse it is and that is a bad number. I am sending prayers and pixie dust to all those in harms way and I hope that all you, your loved ones, friends and every one else in harms way are all okay after this storm rolls through...

:paw:

Just buttoned up our Florida beach home and heading out. Sheesh, we are still doing repairs from Ivan and just dodged Dennis! If you are anywhere from Pensacola Beach, FL to well west of Kenner, LA, you are going to feel this one. Get OUT!

As for our place on the gulf, the surf is way up and creeping up around the buildings on the gulf. Water nearing the road. Down the road immortal teenagers are on surfboards and personal watercraft. Continue to talk to friends in NOLA on the best routes for travel. So many of us are depending on phones for information, so please, please don't call coastal friends just to chat! NOLA friends are having a lot of trouble calling out.

For those interested in local information during the storm, a good web site is WWLTV.com. Gotta check on the boat and head out.

Prayers for the wildlife and safe travels all!

cinderelly76 said:
I have recently heard that it is almost up to a cat. 6 or in other words... A typhoon.

A typhoon only occurs in the region of the Philippines or the China sea.
There are only Category 1-5 Hurricanes on the Saffir-Simpson category scale.

cinderelly76 said:
I am scared about it and I live all the way up here in NY. It was also recently put at 906 ... The lower the number the worse it is and that is a bad number. I am sending prayers and pixie dust to all those in harms way and I hope that all you, your loved ones, friends and every one else in harms way are all okay after this storm rolls through...

Category 5 is as high as it goes. Everything over about 150 MPH is Cat 5. A typhoon only happens in the Pacific area around the Phillipines, Japan, etc. Both a typhoon and a hurricane are tropical cyclones. But I agree it is getting worse instead of better. NOLA hasn't had a hurricane this bad in a long time.

Hi. Just got through with the last of our hurricane prep and decided to check the boards before the power goes out! Weather is still nice here. I am located about 60 miles east of New Orleans and about 20 miles north of Bay St. Louis, MS. (Yeah Not a Real Comfy Place right now!!!)

Spent 1/2 the day packing for our trip to Disney World that we are supposed to be leaving for on Friday. Only packed in case we evacuated. Good news is we're ready for Disney. Bad News -- Will we have to postpone Disney??? I'm going to call the Mouse's House and see if/when we can reschedule if we need to. Hopefully, we'll just come through the storm okay and leave a little early to get away from the power outage.

This storm is huge and I'm not ashamed to admit we are pretty scared here. We've prepared and feel as though our house is located and built enough to make it (or we would have left earlier.) Of course -- you just never know.

Sure hope the biggest problem will be getting to the World on Friday!!!!

Hope you'll be ok and can wear those shirts!
3forWDW said:
Hi. Just got through with the last of our hurricane prep and decided to check the boards before the power goes out! Weather is still nice here. I am located about 60 miles east of New Orleans and about 20 miles north of Bay St. Louis, MS. (Yeah Not a Real Comfy Place right now!!!)

Spent 1/2 the day packing for our trip to Disney World that we are supposed to be leaving for on Friday. Only packed in case we evacuated. Good news is we're ready for Disney. Bad News -- Will we have to postpone Disney??? I'm going to call the Mouse's House and see if/when we can reschedule if we need to. Hopefully, we'll just come through the storm okay and leave a little early to get away from the power outage.

This storm is huge and I'm not ashamed to admit we are pretty scared here. We've prepared and feel as though our house is located and built enough to make it (or we would have left earlier.) Of course -- you just never know.

Sure hope the biggest problem will be getting to the World on Friday!!!!

triplefigs said:
Hope you'll be ok and can wear those shirts!

Hi Triplefigs! Saw your post that your family has left the area. Hope they reached their destination okay. Yet to see if we should have stuck with our original plans to leave.

The shirts are packed -- we might get to leave a few days early. No power=Disney World in our case. Or we might have to postpone a few weeks!! Worrying right now about the family of course.

It's alot easier to keep planning the trip than it is to watch TV and the storms approach. :sunny:

Hey Gang! We are in Baton Rouge and are riding it out. I just got the call from my work that we will be closed Monday so now it's too late to start getting out. I'd rather be in my house than the car. It's taking people 4 hours to go 45 miles right now. Yuck! So I don't sound totally crazy, weather seems like it will be mostly rain and winds up to 79 mph for us in BR. My area does not flood, so I think we'll be ok. We also have a generator and tons of food and supplies! We are suppose to leave Saturday and are also hoping we can get out! I just hope there's no major damage to the house so we don't have to stay and fix it. I was also worried that it'd affect us in WDW! Now, it's our home! Well, back to eating my gumbo and watching the news! I'll be back in a few minutes! To everyone else in the path as well- prayers to all and God Bless!

Everyone "riding it out" please please please reconsider! Please.. they are saying that any wooden structures will be flattened.... if you can leave.. LEAVE... your lives are more important than anything. Just leave for ONE day... They are saying those who stay will have no help as ER vehicles will be unable to get to them. This hurricane is the 4th largest in history.. not a small might turn away.. THIS is the BIG ONE. please please leave.. I"m sick with worry for those chosing to stay...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter