Hurricane Irma?

Like the guy from the UK above, I'm from overseas. Had been staying at Pop and managed to get a flight out on Saturday.

We don't get hurricanes where I live, ever. So at the start of last week, when I heard there was a hurricane, I didn't know at all what to think or what to do. I only stocked up on water because a friend who lives there asked me if I wanted to and drove me to Publix to get water. Staying on site, the first mention I saw of the hurricane was from a pop up on MDE sometime on Wednesday (I think) saying that WDW is continuing to monitor the situation. The first mention I had from my airline (United) was an email on Thursday night saying that Hurricane Irma was affecting flights (had been booked on a flight out of MCO for this coming Tuesday).

I only knew about Hurricane Irma earlier and only knew more about what to do by the fact that I typically browse the DIS and another Disney forum while I'm at Disney and waiting for stuff. If I hadn't been doing so I could easily have been somewhat blindsided by this, especially being in the Disney bubble and not reading/watching the news while at Disney!

Power down here has been out for about 3-4 hours now. Last I heard it was about 1.5-2 million people in South Florida with no power. Eye should be passing near me in a little bit
View attachment 268528
View attachment 268529

Stay safe!

I just got email from southwest and my stomach sank, I thought my Thursday flights were getting canceled, but it was just the typical 'your trip is starting soon' email.

I had that feeling on Friday when I got an email from United about my flight on Saturday. Turns out it was just the usual email about entertainment options on the flight, but my heart still sank until I checked that email.

When I used to work in television news (I was a cameraman for many years) we were indeed forced/required. If you were scheduled to work during one of these events, you worked...and you covered what you were assigned. I stood outside in nor'easters and blizzards with my camera while we pleaded with folks to stay home and off the roads. I drove in white out conditions to get to the station and traversed flooded streets to get where we were sent. It always made me very angry and is one of the many reasons I no longer work in the industry.

That sucks:( However, I suspect the people getting jobs at Weather Channel know what they are signing up for. You are definitely not going to be covering the beautiful sunshine much.

When I used to work in television news (I was a cameraman for many years) we were indeed forced/required. If you were scheduled to work during one of these events, you worked...and you covered what you were assigned. I stood outside in nor'easters and blizzards with my camera while we pleaded with folks to stay home and off the roads. I drove in white out conditions to get to the station and traversed flooded streets to get where we were sent. It always made me very angry and is one of the many reasons I no longer work in the industry.
Thanks for this insight. I'm surprised they are allowed given how passionately the governor talked about evacuations. But then I guess news is news..!

Is Oviedo west too?? I'm on Zello with friends but they left us here in Nj after Sandys devastation and moved to Florida and it's taking everything in me not to Zello and ask how they're doing when I know the nerves are already rattled -- but I want to check in when it passes so I know they're ok :(
If it were me, and an old friend let me
And that could be the case here. However, when Shep mentioned he didn't want to see him get hit by something but they had to go to another shot, the guy said "just keep me in the frame without audio." He literally asked for it. (I kinda think they're humoring him cuz it's his birthday....) Like a PP said, some of these guys live for this stuff. It's the same reason we have test pilots.

I'm really curious about this. At the height of the storm when the wind is blowing, how are people getting their pets out to do their business?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
hope fully they have some potty mats they can use and dispose of.

I'm supposed to get to MCO on 9/18, but im concerned especially with Jose changing track and Lee/Maria out there off of africa right now.

Wow, the difference now is so dramatic. (TWC guy standing in landfall winds just got into the eye, so it just looks like a normal rainy day.)

Not too much wind damage, and he was in some of the worst of it.

Of course, storm surge yet to come, and a long night for all of of FL.

Wow, the difference now is so dramatic. (TWC guy standing in landfall winds just got into the eye, so it just looks like a normal rainy day.)

It's almost like the calm before the storm that you see with tornados. It's amazingly beautiful and eerie. Not that I would know what it's like standing outside before a tornado hits:rolleyes1

My SW flight for Tues was cancelled. I was able to reschedule for Thursday. Sat on hold with Disney for almost an hour. When I finally reached someone they told me to call back Tuesday and they were unable to process my changes until then?????....well I'm supposed to check in on Tues!? I just want to cancel the first 2 days...I hope this doesn't end badly!

I feel bad for weather anchors because if they don't report it "live" on scene, you know darn well the storm chasers will get the scoop at out report them. Glad Irma is being downgraded sooner then predicted. So sad lives have already been loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter