Hurricane Irma?

Kind of beating myself up for canceling last night, like others have posted. DH really wanted to go, but I was getting too stressed over it. I didn't mind the thought of being cooped up in the room, and I'm not afraid of storms, but like I mentioned before it seemed ridiculous to be going into what could be a bad situation when others were trying to get out.

Thankful that the storm is weakening, and praying that everyone remains safe. I will console myself with the fact that I am saving enough by canceling my free dining portion of the trip to pay for our annual passes. And, with the storm weakening, hoping that there will be no issues flying in on Wednesday.

Good luck to all!

I'm so happy eveyrone cancelling their trips has this place to vent and be supported. I imagine a lot of non Disney people might think it's silly. But a vacation is special and we know how much this means to all of you effected. Best of wishes we are all thinking of you!

So sorry, we had to cancel too and last night with the help of Guest services we got a trip rebooked. Took 2 days of calling and a total of 16 hours on hold (I gave up twice, the last was almost 6 hours on hold). We could not get our Free dining back but settled to a room discount and a shorter trip to offset the cost of food. GS was good to us and helped with what they could. But it had to be them as the regular reservations people could not help with ours. We were going to lose money. GS was able to transfer our travel Ins etc to a new booking so that was nice. Availability was very bad, and had to book Late October. That's probably why we couldn't get FD back. There just wasn't many dates available. And we had an open schedule. Good luck to you.

I think you're right. I'm surprised they could even find a rebooking date so close to theirs. It's pretty tight!

The regular reservations people really couldn't do much for us except cancel our reservation. It pretty much had to be GS to get any help beyond that. And good luck to anyone getting through to them. (That was our experience, and I'm finally ok with us canceling. This is a crazy scary situation and not like Matthew last year when we were there.)

I now have heard people being able to keep free dining and not stay within same window. Like cancel sept rebook December. Just making sure the info stay up to date. It was for awhile something you needed to get eacalated to guest services and then a manager. But more reports coming out that the first cm is helpingl to rebook and keep FD.

Bottom line if it was me I would stay nice, meek and mild but I wouldn't get off the phone until they honored FD. Edited to say... with the caveat of you have to travel during the time of FD and a FD resort has to available.

Hard morning. Finally cancelled today's trip late last night to find the storm has be downgraded this morning. (SO thankful for that!). Im a glutton for punishment as I keep second guessing what I did even though I did what was the right thing for me to do in the moment. So, so sad this morning. We were supposed to be getting ready to leave for the airport right now. ☹️☹️ Lol - even looked at rebooking our trip this morning but nothing available.

All will be better in a few days but it's just hard right now.

Praying for all in FL.
waters are still VERY warm and a cat 4 is still VERY dangerous. it could very well be back up to a cat 5 by the time it makes landfall... 155mph winds is not really any better than 157 as a cat 5 anyway.

you made the right call as difficult as it is.

To those of you who have had to cancel or modify your trip I truly feel for you. I know how much planning goes into a trip. The hard to get reservations, FP etc.

But for those of you who have cancelled and are second guessing yourself/beating yourself up about it..... you made the right decision. We were there last year for Matthew and got very very lucky. Irma storm may not be a cat 5 but its still could be a cat 2 or 3 that is a SERIOUS storm. even a cat 1 is a big deal. You made the right decision.

We rode it out last year and I will never do that again and I love disney.

good luck to all of you! stay safe

I know this is a thread about Disney and this hurricane, but I know many of us probably have family in FL, I do, or are visiting while this monster storm hits. Could I ask for some prayers, and positive thoughts for everyone this storm is going to affect, very worried!
You got it. The people who have been and are going to be affected by this are very much on my mind. Prayers that all remain safe.

Current forecasts saying if it does get to Orlando it will be a cat 2.
Still no fun though.

No fun indeed! Consider the definition...

Category 2
Extremely dangerous winds will cause extensive damage

Storms of Category 2 intensity often damage roofing material (sometimes exposing the roof) and inflict damage upon poorly constructed doors and windows. Poorly constructed signs and piers can receive considerable damage and many trees are uprooted or snapped. Mobile homes, whether anchored or not, are typically damaged and sometimes destroyed, and many
manufactured homes also suffer structural damage. Small craft in unprotected anchorages may break their moorings. Extensive to near-total power outages and scattered loss of potable water are likely, possibly lasting many days.

Still have to keep an eye on Jose too. Most models show it getting bounced off Irma's currents and getting shoved far northeast. But you never know.

Was this actually AT Disneyland or over the phone? While it IS true that the two ticketing systems do not interact, you can absolutely upgrade your Walt Disney World AP to the Premier Passport at Disneyland, and vice versa. I would guess it happens at least twice everyday. Disneyland will have to call WDW (specifically, they call Magic Kingdom Guest Relations... but don't ask me how I know that :upsidedow) to get the information for your WDW AP, but once they have that they can upgrade your pass just the same as if you were doing it at WDW.

UPDATE:
Yes talked to attendent on computer on disneyland site. Very sure of herself but, I asked for another authority to check with and she gave me there passholder number. There I was told yes it can be done BUT, even thou my ap where only activated in june this year > they do not prorate the price of your pass is worth or change your start date. They would just charge me the difference of an ap and the bi-costal pass and keep my june date as if I had bought this pass in june. Sounded knowledgeable until she tried to then sell me the maxpass. which is DL version of an ap for your phone $10.00/day to do fp from your phone instead of running to machines. I asked with the incredible high price of bi costal tix > you don't get that free? When she then checked and said oh yeah it does come with it...... AS it turned out for my 2 weeks > I would of had to change resorts 4 x and we know nothing of DL so lost. Now, thinking of Aulani? Just want a nice beach, sun, and some diversions at this point....

I can't cancel it. Since it is booked through a TA, she has to cancel it. Which is why I am clueless. I already cancelled my room only that I had added on. I booked that myself, but shes giving me the run around.

That's so unacceptable. She doesn't want to lose her commission. I would get her agencies manager/owner and put emails in writing to them, don't just speak on the phone. In writing is always the best.

waters are still VERY warm and a cat 4 is still VERY dangerous. it could very well be back up to a cat 5 by the time it makes landfall... 155mph winds is not really any better than 157 as a cat 5 anyway.

you made the right call as difficult as it is.

This, exactly!!! It hasn't weakened THAT much, this is still a very strong storm. I feel sorry for everyone who has had to cancel their vacation, but I can't understand how anyone would choose to go to Orlando over the next 3 days. Regardless of how much damage is done, the state is dealing with enough stresses, it does not need additional tourists to deal with. I understand if you are already there but to choose to travel there right now is something I can't understand.

Vent, cry, be sad. All understandable. But do that in the safety of your house, warm and dry. My family lost their house in Sandy, this is not something to mess with.

I finally talked to wdw last night on computer. Super nice cm. poor thing what a mess.....
Anyway > She said for now and until notice on main site > wdw letting you cancel day of ressie. All ressies. So she suggest to stay put and just see how next week is and (thursday) and make a decision then. Which is a good compromise on their part.

This, exactly!!! It hasn't weakened THAT much, this is still a very strong storm. I feel sorry for everyone who has had to cancel their vacation, but I can't understand how anyone would choose to go to Orlando over the next 3 days. Regardless of how much damage is done, the state is dealing with enough stresses, it does not need additional tourists to deal with. I understand if you are already there but to choose to travel there right now is something I can't understand.

Vent, cry, be sad. All understandable. But do that in the safety of your house, warm and dry. My family lost their house in Sandy, this is not something to mess with.

agree 100%. If you are stuck in florida, Disney is probably one of the better places to weather the storm. But you know where is even better? Someplace not in the path of the storm at all. Resources will be limited, leave them for the people who don't have a choice and whose entire lives are down there and stay home and safe. If god forbid you have a medical emergency during the storm you are stuck without medical help. Disney weathered it great last time, may not be so lucky this time. Too many unknowns. Anyone who has cancelled and rescheduled, rest assured you made the RIGHT decision. For those who are stuck down there for the time being, rest assured knowing Disney will take as good care of you as physically possible given whatever situation unfolds. The rest of us are sending good juju that it's not as bad as it looks like it will be.

Today was supposed to be our day to enjoy Epcot and the Food and Wine Festival (my first). I'm really bummed and still in a little bit of shock that we cancelled, but I know it was the right choice. To those of you sticking it out, be careful and best of luck! I hope Irma chokes and dies before reaching Florida and bringing misery to anybody else.
Us too. I have always wanted to come for F&W but couldn't justify coming for just one day really and possibly not being able to get back.

I wanted to share our reschedule experience as I know we are all going through the same thing. We were scheduled from Saturday to Wednesday. I was dreading the long hold times to cancel/reschedule but last night around 5:30pm my call was picked up in about 15 min and the amazing cast member had our new trip rescheduled and finalized in no time. We found something on the first dates we tried. Now it wasn't at our same resort (CR) and it wasn't at the great rate we had but I feel lucky we got anything. We were rescheduled in 30 minutes total! Now ticketing was a whole different story. She transferred me to ticketing to move our MNSSHP tix to our new October date and that took 3 hours and 20 min. Ugh. Yes we lost our great rate at CR and yes we lost our FOP FP but it's all done. Now we get to plan and look forward to our October trip at AKL! So grateful and happy to have been able to reschedule. Thanks to all the posters helping everyone navigate this crazy time. :earsboy:
Now if only Frontier Airlines would be cooperative....:mad:

Was supposed to leave for the airport this morning at 5 am, woke up at 3 am only to see the storm is still tracking the center of the state. Cancelled flights last minute. I can still get flights out tonight and tomorrow if the storm track changes.

Questions, as I prepare for the long DVC hold time this morning. The DVC policy states you can cancel prior to check in. Does that include online checkin? I did online checkin long before I felt Irma was a threat.

Can I walk my cancellation? Has anyone tried to partially cancel their DVC reservation. Hoping to cancel first day today, and then decide on the remaining days later today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter