• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

This something I'd like to get other peoples thoughts on also. We were supposed to fly in on Monday from St. Louis, but I don't see this happening. The next plan was to drive down Monday (this would also allow me to bring a few needed things for family in the area) but I was wondering what to expect on the roads?
I doubt you will be able to drive in unless you want to drive through a hurricane. The size of the storm covers the state in Monday into tues.

I just got off the phone with Disney Reservation Center. Only waited about 10 minutes to talk to a CM. She was kind, positive attitude, and willing to help. She was able to move our dates from 9/10-9/14 to 9/12-9/16. Same room rate at AKL, and we were able to keep our Free Dining! She transferred me to Dining, and they moved all our reservations around with no problem. Also rescheduled our Starlight Safari with another lovely CM at AKL who had actually left me a voicemail with her direct number. Done with everything in just 45 minutes. (Although the CM said the Guest Relations line had a 5+ hour hold time.) They also assured me that if things weren't back to normal by 9/12 that I could call back to cancel/reschedule again. We are lucky to have flexibility with our dates and that we are driving from Atlanta, so don't have to deal with flights. I just couldn't believe it....I was expecting the worst and ended up with a really good outcome. So very thankful. Especially since this is a birthday surprise for my husband and our first kid-free vacation in years!

Wow, that's a short call! There are many numbers that I've found online/received in my many Disney emails... which number specifically did you use for a 10-minute wait? We're supposed to fly out at 8:30am tomorrow and were all set to brave it until this last model was released at 5pm. :worried: I think we'll try to reschedule to fly in next week and extend our trip on the back end. I ask because my current hold time is 42 minutes, so may use another phone to try yours. :)

Can you reschedule or is it just (sniff :sad:) over?

It was a trip on our DVC points. There is zero availability to reschedule it this year. We were planning to use SSR as our home base while we visited Discovery Cove and Aquatica/Sea World. That isn't possible in the winter months. The points expire in July. We are small business owners and it takes an act of Congress for us to arrange coverage to get away. I can't even think straight right now.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Recent update from Frontier airlines just posted. So it looks like maybe our 5:20pm flight is still safe despite the 5pm MCO closure? No word from Frontier yet!

Attachments

• IMG_3261.PNG
    IMG_3261.PNG
    161.1 KB · Views: 30
Stopping in to catch up... it's taken over an hour to read through today's posts alone.

Want to wish those who are riding out the storm safe passage. Be vigilant, be aware and stay safe.

If you haven't seen the latest updates (6pm) please check them out. The cone of uncertainty is narrowing & the forecast is now more able to be made accurately. Things have changed again...

NOAA is still your most reliable source for info, and Governor of Florida and FEMA are updating regularly. NOAA has several phone apps -- one called Weather Radar - Forecast, Radar and Alerts is excellent and is tracking all 3 current hurricanes. Having the info on your phone will keep you in the loop.

This something I'd like to get other peoples thoughts on also. We were supposed to fly in on Monday from St. Louis, but I don't see this happening. The next plan was to drive down Monday (this would also allow me to bring a few needed things for family in the area) but I was wondering what to expect on the roads?
As of right now no one knows, but a good way to check is google or apple maps, they keep up to date on all road/highway issues.

I do not care for the latest model one bit. I'd been pretty adamant that we would be able to stay in our house with no problem, now we're considering leaving and heading to Disney. I'd wanted to stay with the house, but as my husband pointed out, me staying with it won't make a difference if the roof goes flying off.

I doubt you will be able to drive in unless you want to drive through a hurricane. The size of the storm covers the state in Monday into tues.

I would be driving down through Mississippi and come into Florida that way. It wouldn't be until later Monday evening that I would be even getting out of MS.

Pure speculation, but I would expect any road travel to be bad. I have no experience here, but I'd think that residents would be traveling back home after the storm so roads would be very busy, gas would be short, etc. And that's not even considering if there's any damage... which would further slow things down.

If you got the time, go for it, but expect your travel to be delayed. I read somewhere on this thread to expect travel times to at least double. I also read much earlier in the thread that after a storm, many locals flock to WDW because schools are closed, they have water, power, etc.

No expert but have been on this board since page #1!!!! ☺

Good luck! BTW, ❤ STL...i grew up in central IL, so we went there all the time!

It was a trip on our DVC points. There is zero availability to reschedule it this year. We were planning to use SSR as our home base while we visited Discovery Cove and Aquatica/Sea World. That isn't possible in the winter months. The points expire in July. We are small business owners and it takes an act of Congress for us to arrange coverage to get away. I can't even think straight right now.

I feel for you from experience I know mucking stalls and caring for animals is sometimes a hard thankless job!!!

Okay, first post ever. We are scheduled to arrive at Fort Wilderness on Sunday, 9/10 and stay through Saturday 9/16. Clearly that is not going to happen now. My travel agent has assured me we can easily reschedule for 9/12-9/18 or 9/13-9/19. My problem is this: We are driving down from Nashville. What can I expect road and traffic conditions to be like on Monday or Tuesday? No Disney vacation starts off well if a 10 hour trip takes 20.

I am not sure you would even be able to drive on Monday. As of now, the track has changed to shift more to the West and could still be around the Northern part of the state Monday morning. I think the roadways you encounter could also have major damage. This is a major hurricane and is going to still be a category 3 when it goes over Orlando. There could be severe damage still. I would try to postpone a bit longer if I were you.

Okay, first post ever. We are scheduled to arrive at Fort Wilderness on Sunday, 9/10 and stay through Saturday 9/16. Clearly that is not going to happen now. My travel agent has assured me we can easily reschedule for 9/12-9/18 or 9/13-9/19. My problem is this: We are driving down from Nashville. What can I expect road and traffic conditions to be like on Monday or Tuesday? No Disney vacation starts off well if a 10 hour trip takes 20.

If the hurricane skirts Florida, expect delays - potentially large ones - from all the returning evacuation traffic. If Irma does follow the latest Euro prediction of a path straight up the spine of Florida, there may be no reason to even hit the road due to Disney being closed for an extended period of time. in between those two scenarios I would keep my eye of on what is going on with evacuees returning and whether any areas you have to drive through have been declared disaster zones.

On hold for 6 hours and 3 minutes now, there has to be a light at the end on tunnel soon right!?! No music since 90 minutes, lord I hope I'm still really on hold. Anybody else going through the same?? This is my wait to speak to guest services

I do not care for the latest model one bit. I'd been pretty adamant that we would be able to stay in our house with no problem, now we're considering leaving and heading to Disney. I'd wanted to stay with the house, but as my husband pointed out, me staying with it won't make a difference if the roof goes flying off.

He's right. Safety is more important. :)

Praying for your safety and peace of mind from Illinois!

Gosh, this is so horrible. Reading this thread really makes it seem like Disney is not going to come out of this one unscathed like in the past.

Honestly I would have cancelled at this point and not re-booked until May, seriously!

And my islands, my poor St. Marteen. :(

I'm in Atlanta. I'm prepared for Monday and Tuesday to be the worst of it here. What they just put on CNN is still a cat 1 60mph when it goes through ATL between mon-tues. I'll be hunkered down and wouldn't want to be driving in it. Of course it could still go east... but I'm more concerned with Monday then Saturday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter