• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma?

I'm here at WDW right now. We are ending our trip early and flying home Saturday morning to hopefully avoid the impact of Irma. BUT I spent this morning at Magic Kingdom (it was VERY quiet) trying to soak up whatever park time I could, and I ended up asking some Princesses for advice about the coming storm. Here are their answers:

FWIW -- I am taking this hurricane VERY seriously, as we all should! But since everyone is talking about it here, I thought I'd try to put a little Pixie Dust on it during my meet and greets this morning. Hope it gives you a grin :)

Cute! My daughter and I were sitting near you when you were recording at the MK dessert party on Monday. (At least we think it was you.) :)

How is Tennessee as far as preparedness is anyone stocking up on gas in anticipation we are planning on driving through there my husband concern is not having gas to get to Disney

There is no concern of shortages or supplies in TN. We are very concerned for the southeast region (obviously). I think you will be just fine. I live in the Middle TN area south of Nashville.

My trip is at the end of this month so I am watching Irma-geddon.

Ok with the new Euro model I'm no longer convinced we will be safe at Disney, so we doubled down and were finally able to get a Southwest flight out at 7:20 AM Saturday. Can anyone foresee any complication that would cause that flight not to leave at all? Backlog of people waiting, storm arriving early, anything like that? I'm trying my hardest to feel reassured but there has to be a reason those seats were available and literally every other flight we found on every other airline between now and Saturday was like thousands of dollars with three or four layovers. This has one layover in Dallas, TX. Would getting out of Texas be a problem with the flooding in Houston?

ETA from Orlando to St. Louis.

If you have the confirmed bookings, you're good to go. Worst thing you might face is the environment at MCO. I suspect it will likely be packed with people doing the same thing you are, with some still trying to get flights. Anticipate possibly seeing some heated discussions going on at ticket counters.

Hi, all. I've been reading since the first post and I really appreciate all of the input that's been offered here -- esp. the models that some have posted, as it made it really easy for me to follow along. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

We were originally supposed to be at Disney from the 10th-17th, driving from Arkansas (first Disney trip, and first family vacation). But yesterday we decided to drive to Atlanta tomorrow (Friday) night, stay there, then get up around 4 or 5 am and head to Orlando on Saturday. I was able to get a room at Art of Animation for Saturday night and felt better knowing we were going to be on site when the storm hit. Then I saw that latest model (knowing that it's not any more definite than any of the others, just a possibility) and I'm pretty sure we're not going to go. We're driving with two kids, one who is terrified of storms (someone else posted almost the same description, and I had to check to make sure it wasn't my husband posting!) and it just seems like there are too many variables involved, primarily the availability of gas between Atlanta and Orlando. We haven't decided for sure, but are leaning towards waiting and seeing if it seems okay to drive down on Tuesday and salvage some of the week, though it looks like gas is going to be a problem then. The likelihood is that we're going to end up scrapping the whole trip, unfortunately.

Someone waaaay back mentioned checking to see what kind of trip insurance your credit card offers, which was very helpful to us, as we booked through the DVC Rental Store for the first half of our trip and Air B and B for the second. I assumed that all of our money was pretty much non refundable, based on the strict refund policies of both companies, but upon further investigation, it appears that our credit card insurance will pay for the DVC Rental Store purchase as long as the airport closes (so many, many thanks to whomever posted that tip) and Air B and B does have an extenuating circumstances waiver which will cover our Air B and B stay (I just confirmed with a phone call). So we feel a bit better about the monetary side of things, at least. If you've booked through either of those means, you might want that info.

Sending all good wishes to those who are making the trip and especially to those whose homes are in the path of this storm. Still holding out hope that it will take a far less destructive path and everything will be okay for you all.

My poor sister. She lives on Tampa Bay.. like she looks out her window onto the bay. She and her boyfriend are set to fly out Saturday morning to New York State. The plan was to take the dogs to the kennel and go to a wedding (prior to Irma). Now she doesn't know what to do. She doesn't want to leave the dogs but her kennel has a very solid building, and is not in a flood zone and the owner is assuring her that they are staying with the animals. Who knows if Tampa will declare a mandatory Evacuation..and who knows if the airport will stay open long enough to get on a Saturday morning flight? She's debating driving but her boyfriend can't come because of his job at the hospital. He has to be there until Friday night. She's conflicted and scared. She's only 25.. I still worry about her.
I want to say to get in her car and go.. but I just don't know. For now the plan is to wait for those Saturday flights.

Ugh. Thanks for listening. :worried:

Your welcome :goodvibes You were so helpful on the Universal thread a couple of months ago with some questions I had. I am sorry about your sister and will be wishing the best to her and all the other residents (human and animals). I have family down there too and understand your concern.

Okay, first post ever. We are scheduled to arrive at Fort Wilderness on Sunday, 9/10 and stay through Saturday 9/16. Clearly that is not going to happen now. My travel agent has assured me we can easily reschedule for 9/12-9/18 or 9/13-9/19. My problem is this: We are driving down from Nashville. What can I expect road and traffic conditions to be like on Monday or Tuesday? No Disney vacation starts off well if a 10 hour trip takes 20.

If you have the confirmed bookings, you're good to go. Worst thing you might face is the environment at MCO. I suspect it will likely be packed with people doing the same thing you are, with some still trying to get flights. Anticipate possibly seeing some heated discussions going on at ticket counters.

Haha wow it's gonna be INSANE there on Saturday!

For those of you on hold with Disney and not getting any hold music. Please allow me to sing you one of my favorite hold songs.

Yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me
Jsh fjdjdnx nc eicnej Ric's tvjckxk
Xjdjcn dieicncdnd djjdxjndj
Drink up me hearties yo ho
Ppldxeke dodke apsej djxidnx

Yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me
gghocsmw xeoxkd eo le doekc
Ycmxdoe doek dkckr ecpdnen

Okay, first post ever. We are scheduled to arrive at Fort Wilderness on Sunday, 9/10 and stay through Saturday 9/16. Clearly that is not going to happen now. My travel agent has assured me we can easily reschedule for 9/12-9/18 or 9/13-9/19. My problem is this: We are driving down from Nashville. What can I expect road and traffic conditions to be like on Monday or Tuesday? No Disney vacation starts off well if a 10 hour trip takes 20.

Sadly many people likely driving in same direction as you. Could easily take 15 to 20 hours.

Hi, all. I've been reading since the first post and I really appreciate all of the input that's been offered here -- esp. the models that some have posted, as it made it really easy for me to follow along. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

We were originally supposed to be at Disney from the 10th-17th, driving from Arkansas (first Disney trip, and first family vacation). But yesterday we decided to drive to Atlanta tomorrow (Friday) night, stay there, then get up around 4 or 5 am and head to Orlando on Saturday. I was able to get a room at Art of Animation for Saturday night and felt better knowing we were going to be on site when the storm hit. Then I saw that latest model (knowing that it's not any more definite than any of the others, just a possibility) and I'm pretty sure we're not going to go. We're driving with two kids, one who is terrified of storms (someone else posted almost the same description, and I had to check to make sure it wasn't my husband posting!) and it just seems like there are too many variables involved, primarily the availability of gas between Atlanta and Orlando. We haven't decided for sure, but are leaning towards waiting and seeing if it seems okay to drive down on Tuesday and salvage some of the week, though it looks like gas is going to be a problem then. The likelihood is that we're going to end up scrapping the whole trip, unfortunately.

Someone waaaay back mentioned checking to see what kind of trip insurance your credit card offers, which was very helpful to us, as we booked through the DVC Rental Store for the first half of our trip and Air B and B for the second. I assumed that all of our money was pretty much non refundable, based on the strict refund policies of both companies, but upon further investigation, it appears that our credit card insurance will pay for the DVC Rental Store purchase as long as the airport closes (so many, many thanks to whomever posted that tip) and Air B and B does have an extenuating circumstances waiver which will cover our Air B and B stay (I just confirmed with a phone call). So we feel a bit better about the monetary side of things, at least. If you've booked through either of those means, you might want that info.

Sending all good wishes to those who are making the trip and especially to those whose homes are in the path of this storm. Still holding out hope that it will take a far less destructive path and everything will be okay for you all.
So sorry this happened I know how heartbreaking it is to have to cancel a long planned trip. Keep in mind the wind they are forecasting in Orlando is the same as an EF1 tornado. ( Being from Arkansas I know you understand about tornados). You are probably doing the right thing, and the parks will likely be closed. Hopefully gas won't be an issue and you can drive down Tuesday.

Not sure if they will know much about Tuesday on Sunday. We are 2 hours south of Nashville so if we have to change anything it will be over the phone. I'm planning on sticking with our plans for now and will change last minute if need be.

Well, I finally called it. I was driving home from the super market with a bunch of hurricane snacks and supplies to pack and I couldn't shake this feeling of how ridiculous I was being. Would it really be a vacation? I don't want my DD's first time to be under these conditions. I'm in the middle of canceling our trip. So far ive got the resort and plane tickets done. Working on mnsshp now. Its absolutely heartbreaking to unwind all of the work I did to plan this trip.

Be safe everyone. Some things are just more important in life.

I feel your pain and also got slapped with reality. We were to arrive TODAY for our first ever family trip.

Was mad at the world on Monday for ruining our fun. didn't know what to do, was dreading the trip. Then it hit me... this is just a vacation. YES, lots of work, effort, planning, and money went into it, but it's not my home, my families lives, my job, my community, everything I know and love at risk.

Made the call and cancelled on Tuesday - rescheduled for January with all and some better ADRS! It will be even better to get out of northern Illinois in the winter.

Godspeed to you brave souls who are keeping your plans and riding it out and also to those that are endlessly on the phone to cancel. Sending prayers for safety!

Looks like you'd be okay.

From the Jetblue site:

Customers traveling Wednesday, September 6, 2017 through Monday, September 11, 2017...Customers may rebook their flights for travel through Wednesday, September 27, 2017 online in the ‘Manage Flights’ section of jetblue.com or by calling 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) prior to the departure time of their originally scheduled flight.

THANKS! Last I had checked their site they had only gone out to Sept 19th.

This something I'd like to get other peoples thoughts on also. We were supposed to fly in on Monday from St. Louis, but I don't see this happening. The next plan was to drive down Monday (this would also allow me to bring a few needed things for family in the area) but I was wondering what to expect on the roads?

Yikes! I bet this most recent NHC model run loaded up the lines even more with requests for cancellations. Going to Orlando this weekend is traveling into the jaws of the beast, so to speak.

Maybe. These models continually evolve and again are projections of what might (but not necessarily will) happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter