Hurricane Irma?

I just read on MCO website they are cease at 5pm on Saturday? What is you have a flight scheduled that day that is like at 6pm what happens is it cancelled??? just curious how it works
The airport will be closed so there will be no takeoff or landings. The first bands will probably be coming into the area which could make flying unsafe also the employees need time to safely get home or evacuate. The airlines also don't want to risk leaving there planes in an area where the could be damaged. With so many people cancelling their flights into the area if you still decide to go maybe you can move up your flight.

We were still planning on arriving (via SW) this Saturday, Sept 7th, at 8:15 AM, but... I just got a text that our flight was just cancelled.
Changing DVC Reservations are NOT easy, and we were staying at the Beach Club (EXTREMELY hard to get).
I have terminal brain cancer (6 months into a 12 month median survival rate). We were staying at BC so that I could go to the room via a scooter any time Epcot/HS got overwhelming for me.
We already moved up our arrival time, and added a day at the end. If I could just move everything back a week, I would.
Today is an MRI for me. We were delaying my chemo infusion from today until we got back. Now, I have to make a decision based on all these unknowns.
Leaving home for my MRI/Chemo/doc appoint at 9:00am, DVC guest services open at 9:00am. SIGH.

The airport will be closed so there will be no takeoff or landings. The first bands will probably be coming into the area which could make flying unsafe also the employees need time to safely get home or evacuate. The airlines also don't want to risk leaving there planes in an area where the could be damaged. With so many people cancelling their flights into the area if you still decide to go maybe you can move up your flight.

I am not going I have friends down at disney with a later flight saturday so was just curious

We were still planning on arriving (via SW) this Saturday, Sept 7th, at 8:15 AM, but... I just got a text that our flight was just cancelled.
Changing DVC Reservations are NOT easy, and we were staying at the Beach Club (EXTREMELY hard to get).
I have terminal brain cancer (6 months into a 12 month median survival rate). We were staying at BC so that I could go to the room via a scooter any time Epcot/HS got overwhelming for me.
We already moved up our arrival time, and added a day at the end. If I could just move everything back a week, I would.
Today is an MRI for me. We were delaying my chemo infusion from today until we got back. Now, I have to make a decision based on all these unknowns.
Leaving home for my MRI/Chemo/doc appoint at 9:00am, DVC guest services open at 9:00am. SIGH.

I am sending a lot of pixie dust your way

Many posts say that people tried to change their reservations to later in the week, or month, but the free dining package wasn't available when they wanted to change. Or one poster wanted to switch to a deluxe hotel ( to have inside corridors) but "couldn't" because the free dining wasn't available at that deluxe. Just truly hoping that people aren't really using "free dining" as a reason not to cancel.
From what I saw they all canceled or changed their dates regardless. We are still planning on going as of now.
First and foremost because I believe we will be safe at the resort although will have 2 or more days in the room and we don't have a reschedule option because of many factors and our next trip wouldnt be for 2 years from. However if i thought my life was in danger i would not be going.

From what I saw they all canceled or changed their dates regardless. We are still planning on going as of now.
First and foremost because I believe we will be safe at the resort although will have 2 or more days in the room and we don't have a reschedule option because of many factors and our next trip wouldnt be for 2 years from. However if i thought my life was in danger i would not be going.
Prayers for safety and i do truly hope you have a good vacation!

As the projections of the course of the storm continue to change in the direction of further and further to the east, I think the decision to stay at the resort becomes sounder and sounder. Disney has always taken good care of their guests during storms, and so you are likely to be better off "stuck" in a Disney resort for the storm than weathering the storm in your home in Kissimmee.

So very sorry

Sadly, we just cancelled our 9/9-9/15 trip. While on the phone with WDW Travel Company, I mentioned we purchased MNSSHP tickets in advance for 9/10. Thought we'd eat the cost of the tickets (unless WDW officially cancels the event), I was surprised when the agent offered to transfer me to ticketing, where I got a full refund. So, if you have tickets for this Sunday's MNSSHP and have made the decision not to go, give them a call.

Stay safe Florida!

I am trying so hard to find words to say, but I just don't have any. I am truly very, very sorry.

Lol...my aunt just texted me that her sister, who lives in Florida, says they are currently removing the spires off the castle. She's totes serious.

I am sending a lot of pixie dust your way
Thank you!!!
This trip was planned prior to my diagnosis and was "special" because it's the only DVC resort my DM hasn't stayed at, and she wanted to go see Pandora. It was supposed to be just she and I. After my diagnosis, we made it into a larger family trip.
Truly, it was the only thing that kept me going on my bad days (radiation, chemo, drug side effects, hospital stays, physical therapy). If I have my chemo today, I'll be unable to do anything for at least 2, maybe 3, weeks. It wipes me out.
This brain cancer (glioblastoma) has stolen so many things from my family and I, it's really hard to accept that I'm losing this vacation, too.

I know many people are going to be affected by Irma and I'm not trying to minimize that in any way! This whole thing STINKS.

I am searching for this information, but can't find it... where does it say that?

MCO has taken it off their website and rumors I'm seeing says they are now playing it by ear. Someone found that on the site but I don't see it. On phone though.

So not to bury the lead but I figured someone saw it before me but I'm caught up now I think. MCO no longer have flights cancelled and just seeing what happens.

Can anyone else confirm? I read this on FB and the message is off the website about closing. But I'm going to try to confirm.

MCO has taken it off their website and rumors I'm seeing says they are now playing it by ear. Someone found that on the site but I don't see it. On phone though.

It is absolutely still there. Just looked and it is on the scrolling banner under the picture of the airport. Many posters also said they are receiving emails about flights being cancelled that were scheduled for Sat or Sun.

EDITED: No sooner did I say that when it changed to them monitoring the situation lol. It might have been because I visited the page last night and then it reloaded after I posted. I would still expect them to close, just perhaps not as early as 5pm Friday. For Matthew they closed 8pm Thurs and the worst of it blew through in the wee hours of the morning on Friday.

At WDW now. Managed to book one of the least seats out on Delta's 2pm flight from MCO to Minneapolis on Saturday. Lucked out I guess?? I was supposed to leave on Tuesday but it sounds like it could be a LOOOONG weekend down here.

Very thankful that checked off my absolute must-do's VERY early in my trip (Happily Ever After and Flight of Passage) since we are cutting things short!

SO glad you were able to get those seats for just hours before they close MCO :)

We also fly Delta out of Minneapolis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter