• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hurricane Irma Replacement Trip 9/9-9/13

gardengirl2790

Mouseketeer
So, after hours on hold, I was able to cancel my WDW trip that I'd spent months planning for. So, now we're (DH and I) heading to DLR on Saturday. We've never gone without our child. She's studying abroad in
France this fall. Anyhow, I'm not sure what to do? We love rides, we love Napa Rose, not sure how crowds will be. Any words of wisdom would be great. We are rope drop people, and fast movers

DLR debuted a new version of F! earlier this summer. Now that the summer season is over, fireworks and F! are only being presented on weekends (Fri, Sat, and Sun). If you wanted to see either of those shows, make sure to plan for them on the weekend. Depending on your budget and how long you have, I would look into one of the F! dining packages.

If you're rope drop people, I would concentrate on doing as many rides as possible during the first couple of hours when lines are generally shorter. In this case, you may want to avoid starting in the park that has EMH/MM just so you aren't dealing with long (or potentially long) lines at opening. By mid-morning, the impacts of EMH/MM tend to be pretty minimal, so it's not as big a deal, but at opening it can impact the most popular attractions.

I haven't used MaxPass, but the FP system still worked pretty well. I think being able to make FP "reservations" with the app is nice, but it's not necessary (at this point). You still can't pick your time (that was my favorite part of MDE). It does saves you the walk over to the FP machines. I don't know what kind of tickets you have, but I would probably get park hoppers rather than MaxPass. If you already have Park Hoppers, then I'd consider MaxPass.

Make sure you download the official Disneyland App. It gives you current wait times, current FP return times, character locations and schedules, etc. It's not quite as powerful as MDE, but it's very useful.

If you know you want to eat at a specific locations and time, I would look into making a reservation now. It often possible to get prime dining reservations on short notice (dining packages are tougher, but regular reservations are often available for day of). I would especially consider making reservations for weekend days (usually when the crowds are the highest).

While not hugely popular, the Summer of Heroes event over in DCA is ending this Sunday (9/10). So if you wanted to check it out, you'll need to do that early in your trip. Otherwise, you should see Halloween starting to creep into both parks. HalloweenTime official starts on Friday, September 15 (Haunted Mansion and Space will be down until then). Parts of DCA are being decked out for Halloween for the first time, so that should be fun to see (some decor is already up according to recent photos of the parks).

Have a great trip!

Thank you Figment for the comprehensive answer. I'm so glad to learn about strategy, etc., it's been a really hard year, and my DH and I need a lovely, magic-filled Disney vacation to replenish ourselves.:flower1:

I guess we're doing the same! Our WDW trip was 09/10-09/16. Rescheduled that for May. Hubby came up with the idea of going to CA this morning!! We're driving from OK and will arrive on the 10th. We haven't been to Disneyland since (I think) 2011, the year Carsland opened! I haven't been able to do any planning or research, so this should be an interesting trip!

I like your husband's thinking! I also love the members on the Disboards. I know that I can ask very specific questions about things, and they will come through for me with wonderful answers! I've been reading the DL boards trying to re-learn everything before our flight at 6:30 am Saturday. :-)

Have a safe drive - see you in the Parks!!

You will love that all FPs are still available right up until the parks open for the day. Good ADRs are probably available as well. You haven't lost out at all by making a last minute change!

Disneyland seems so much easier to manage than a trip to WDW, in my opinion. Not having to know which park and rides I will be in/ride two months out, is soooo nice. I m looking forward to the more relaxing vacation style for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter