Hurricane Irma: CONFIRMED ~ All Parks, Water Parks and Disney Springs: Normal Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now who was it that told me they'd never close for over twenty four hours, not to over-react?

Our son is evacuating tonight. He had to take care of things where he works and then will travel northward. I hope he goes far enough north! He lives in Fort Myers which is south of Orlando I think 2 hours. I pray for those folks who are unable to vacate. So many elderly live down there. It must be so scary to wait, knowing you're in Irma's path! I get a sense in this thread that it has gone WAY past being concerned for our trips and is more focused on those poor residents of the states Irma is heading toward and has been. Bless you all for having such caring hearts!

I am so sorry...I posted this in the wrong thread! I apologize!!!!

Do we have any threads set up for DISers on site to provide live updates Saturday - Monday?

Do we have any threads set up for DISers on site to provide live updates Saturday - Monday?
That would be the Hurricane Irma thread that's been running for awhile.

Or, the Resorts Board as all the info will be disseminated from Resort Management.

Hoping someone here can help. We're from the uk and my family are stuck in Orlando. They are due home next wed and have tried to get home via virgin Atlantic but no seats left before airports shut down. I know lots of info that WDW is safest place (and universal etc) but they are in a villa in davenport near WDW.

My brother in law is severely disabled and in an electric wheelchair, and has to be hoisted to transfer anywhere. They have got all provisions etc but we are all worried as in a strange country to them where they don't know how things work.

I managed to get CNN over here and saw the governors talk who advised those staying put to keep listening to local advice, but they don't know how to do that. We have advised them to try booking into a disabled access room in WDW but they would need to take their manual hoist with them but can't get it in their car.

Does anyone have any suggestions of tel numbers, channels, anything for them to get local alerts etc. Anyone have any ideas of who to contact to get the hoist to a hotel? It says on CNN that they are helping those people stranded who have special needs so was hoping someone could help us find out how to get that? My family over there are doing any amount of research they can but it's not easy for them as poor wifi and struggling to work phone system!!
Thanks so much

The headline of Disney removing the castle spires is going around Facebook. Seemed false to me, so I looked..and read that they can be removed by crane but that it takes a lot of time, the castle sustains winds to 110 mph. So I figured it MIGHT be true this time....does anyone know if this is actually happening today? There was a photo too.

Hoping someone here can help. We're from the uk and my family are stuck in Orlando. They are due home next wed and have tried to get home via virgin Atlantic but no seats left before airports shut down. I know lots of info that WDW is safest place (and universal etc) but they are in a villa in davenport near WDW.

My brother in law is severely disabled and in an electric wheelchair, and has to be hoisted to transfer anywhere. They have got all provisions etc but we are all worried as in a strange country to them where they don't know how things work.

I managed to get CNN over here and saw the governors talk who advised those staying put to keep listening to local advice, but they don't know how to do that. We have advised them to try booking into a disabled access room in WDW but they would need to take their manual hoist with them but can't get it in their car.

Does anyone have any suggestions of tel numbers, channels, anything for them to get local alerts etc. Anyone have any ideas of who to contact to get the hoist to a hotel? It says on CNN that they are helping those people stranded who have special needs so was hoping someone could help us find out how to get that? My family over there are doing any amount of research they can but it's not easy for them as poor wifi and struggling to work phone system!!
Thanks so much
It looks like there are still some flights out of mco to parts of the UK before it shuts down tommorrow. American, United, Thomas Cook. As for relocating with a hoist, I couldn't find any services moving in Orlando as it isn't in an evacuation zone at this time. How big is it? Is it possible to call a car service that can fit it? How did they move it before? They could also try flying north before flying back home if money permits. If they have supplies, moving a short distance to a more secure location for safety and peace of mind is probably easier than braving the airport at this juncture.

They can dial 311 or 407-836-3111 for help and information. Orangecountyfl.net is the county website. Orange TV is channel 488 on Spectrum, 9 on Comcast, 99 on AT&T, 1081 on CenturyLink, and 29.2 on Digital Over the Air.

NOAA has an app that can be downloaded. Red Cross has a hurricane app too.

They need to have resources for 72 hours starting Saturday, and should make sure their electronics are charged and they are paying attention to local alerts. There are so many resources online- wishing them safety!

Last edited:

Thanks so much
http://orlandowheelchairtransportation.com/family-shopping-travel.html I would try calling this service and see what the options are. Good luck to you all!

Thanks so much

I would try posting in the disabilities thread.

http://www.mydavenport.org/

that I beleive is the site for davenport township it has numbers to call for info.

https://www.polk-county.net/emergency-management/disaster-preparedness

That appears to be the country.

I am not a Florida resident so I do not know how accurate this stuff all is but hopefully it can help.

Thanks so much
It would be best if you copied and pasted your post on the disABILITIES board:
https://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/

I'd move you there but I wouldn't be able to link the replies you've received.

This is the Confirmed Info thread for Theme Parks.

I am here at disney now. I just got an email telling me that Tuesday's Early Morning Magic is cancelled and that I'll receive a full refund in 7-10 days. It's still in My Disney Experience though.

Thanks everyone, a lot of great links. Will start sifting through and working stuff out.

So sorry I posted this in the wrong place. I suppose I saw this as a Irma subject rather than a disabilities subject, and the fact that there were factual links and help to many areas, I thought it would be ok. I nearly posted it on the other hurricane Irma thread going on, but that seems to be going into a "judgy" direction, I thought bestvto keep out!! Didn't even realise there was a disabilities board (tend to go only to this one!) so perhaps I'll give that a shot.
Sorry again

The headline of Disney removing the castle spires is going around Facebook. Seemed false to me, so I looked..and read that they can be removed by crane but that it takes a lot of time, the castle sustains winds to 110 mph. So I figured it MIGHT be true this time....does anyone know if this is actually happening today? There was a photo too.
They are not being removed.

I am here at disney now. I just got an email telling me that Tuesday's Early Morning Magic is cancelled and that I'll receive a full refund in 7-10 days. It's still in My Disney Experience though.
If you added it as a Note, you'll have to Edit.

Changes don't show up on the app for a day or so especially if it's related to Dining or Resorts.

Disney has also added Transportation updates for Saturday, 9/9:

TRANSPORTATION
Disney Resort transportation from Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park and Disney’s Hollywood Studios Park will end at 8 PM on Saturday, September 9.

Disney Resort transportation from Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot and Disney Springs will end at 10 PM on Saturday, September 9.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/hurricane-irma-info/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter