Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

Still waiting to decide if we're going to fly in on Wednesday (if the airport is even open). Think the final decision will be late Monday. I can always push it up to the next week but I picked this week because of the crowds. Maybe the week of the 11th will be good for crowds, too. Best case is I just end up coming in on September 9th for a few nights.
It will be out of there by Wednesday and you're probably looking at lighter crowds than if you move it. I have friends there right now that are walking on all the rides.

For those still planning on driving, just an FYI. The Florida Department of Transportation has a service called "road rangers" that will help if you've got a flat tire, dead battery, run out of gas, etc. Road rangers will only respond to vehicles on the interstate, but it's free. You can call *FHP to request them. Georgia has a similar program called CHAMP that can be reached at 5-1-1.

We changed our flights the day before MCO announced the Monday closure to Sunday because at that time, Monday was starting to look bad. As of now, we are scheduled to leave in the morning. When I first started looking to add tomorrow night, I was having no luck adding a day, but I just kept checking and eventually got lucky. If the hurricane continues to move East, I expect the rooms vacated will be snapped up.

Since then, we have just been sitting tight to see where Dorian is going and updating dinner reservations, FPs, a tour, etc., before we make a final decision. We got some groceries, etc., that are packable. I spoke to WDW customer service person a little bit ago, and she was very helpful. She said as of now, WDW is still planning on having its Halloween party on Monday, etc. We’ll make our final decision very early tomorrow morning.

When I was updating dinner and FPs reservation, I could tell other people were starting to pick up some of the cancelled times as well. We will go if the hurricane continues its eastward track. Rain doesn’t bother us. We live in the South and have been through a few hurricanes in the past 25 years. We are staying in a 1-bedroom villa, which makes our decision easier than if we were in a regular room. Easier to hunker down there for a day or two if it comes to that.

If we had felt like we had to make that decision several days ago, we probably would have cancelled, but thankfully, WDW and the airlines are being good about changing plans. Good luck everyone.

I have made the decision to cancel. I was coming in on Monday morning and out on Thursday. It's just too iffy and I don't want to spend my whole trip in the rain or in the room.

I have put my dining reservations that I will be cancelling on the restaurant's cancel thread. Is there a FP Cancel thread anywhere? This was a solo trip so they are all singles, but I have FP's to FOP, SDD, 7DMT...

New to the forum. Was hoping for an extremely last minute getaway with the wife and this has always been a favorite place of mine. Would it be foolish to try to fly in on Sunday? We just want to enjoy the food mostly, so if the parks close there hopefully are hotel options available. Hoping someone can provide some advice quickly as we are really torn on what to do.

I am so torn on what to do. We are scheduled to drive up from South Broward County tomorrow (Sunday). Our first park day was scheduled to be Monday and we would return home next Saturday. While all of the latest tracks show my area not even in the cone anymore I still worry that one tiny wobble and this massive thing could be headed toward or near my home. Of course then there is the unknown of what impact it will have on the Orlando area. I'm continuing to watch and wait knowing that we are only 3 hours away and can decide to still go at any point. I guess that is the best I can do for now.

I may be wrong, but I doubt it. They made the announcement early to allow airlines enough time to make changes to their logistics systems to move planes and flight crews out of the area. My guess is the airlines have changed things accordingly. I doubt they can just pivot things on short notice if MCO says "nevermind!"

If the forecasts stay like they are now , there is no way it doesn’t open, too much money lost if they close for no reason. Airlines can adapt quickly, they reconfigure flights every day, they can easily pivot

If the forecasts stay like they are now , there is no way it doesn’t open, too much money lost if they close for no reason. Airlines can adapt quickly, they reconfigure flights every day, they can easily pivot
The airlines need both equipment and crews in the right places. How easy that will be, hard to say.
Hoping it's a fairly smooth recovery over a few days.

I bet MCO might reverse and not close on Monday once this evenings forecast update comes out
May not have the ability to get the airlines to change back if they reverse their choice but I bet they regret calling to so soon. They do not have a history of doing that so far out

But enough to get an entire airport back online? They move a few flights here and there but rarely the full schedule. Unless they flat out cancel flights. That's not the same as resuming

New to the forum. Was hoping for an extremely last minute getaway with the wife and this has always been a favorite place of mine. Would it be foolish to try to fly in on Sunday? We just want to enjoy the food mostly, so if the parks close there hopefully are hotel options available. Hoping someone can provide some advice quickly as we are really torn on what to do.
If you are okay with rain and want to stay for more than just 2-3 days, you may want to call and see what is available. If you decide to go, make sure you check weather again before you leave to see whether Dorian is still moving east. If so, I would go. I know many others wouldn’t. It depends on whether you are ok with a level of uncertainty and if you would enjoy yourselves even if it’s rainy. Good luck.

I am so torn on what to do. We are scheduled to drive up from South Broward County tomorrow (Sunday). Our first park day was scheduled to be Monday and we would return home next Saturday. While all of the latest tracks show my area not even in the cone anymore I still worry that one tiny wobble and this massive thing could be headed toward or near my home. Of course then there is the unknown of what impact it will have on the Orlando area. I'm continuing to watch and wait knowing that we are only 3 hours away and can decide to still go at any point. I guess that is the best I can do for now.
Yes, you still have a little time. We are going ahead and starting to pack and will take another look in the morning and then make a decision. Good luck!

One thing to keep in mind is that there will be reduced staff, because some CMs won’t be able to get to work. This can result in changes to menus at the restaurants. One time we were at WL during a hurricane and the only restaurant open was WCC, and they were selling boxed meals. No choice in what we received other than yes, I’ll take it or no thanks. There was also no housekeeping. They gave us extra towels before the storm and didn’t service the rooms until after the storm. Of course, a lot depends on the track, but it may not be the best time for a short visit. No way to know for sure yet.

If you are okay with rain and want to stay for more than just 2-3 days, you may want to call and see what is available. If you decide to go, make sure you check weather again before you leave to see whether Dorian is still moving east. If so, I would go. I know many others wouldn’t. It depends on whether you are ok with a level of uncertainty and if you would enjoy yourselves even if it’s rainy. Good luck.

The plan would be to stay until next Saturday, so would hope we would get at least a couple nice days.

One thing to keep in mind is that there will be reduced staff, because some CMs won’t be able to get to work. This can result in changes to menus at the restaurants. One time we were at WL during a hurricane and the only restaurant open was WCC, and they were selling boxed meals. No choice in what we received other than yes, I’ll take it or no thanks. There was also no housekeeping. They gave us extra towels before the storm and didn’t service the rooms until after the storm. Of course, a lot depends on the track, but it may not be the best time for a short visit. No way to know for sure yet.

Thanks, I did not consider that, something to keep in mind.

There are still very reliable models that show Dorian having high impact on Orlando. That's why it's still included in the cone of uncertainty.

Don't say it's over until it's over.

There are still very reliable models that show Dorian having high impact on Orlando. That's why it's still included in the cone of uncertainty.

Don't say it's over until it's over.
I totally agree with this. We're on the east coast in Melbourne and I haven't ruled anything out with this storm. It still is very possible for it to go across the entire state and not even go north. Anything could happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter