• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Humidifiers for Rooms?

Silver Queen

DIS Veteran
We will be at Kidani in two weeks and are bringing a 13 year old family member with asthma. Although her asthma doesn't seem to be serious and she will have her medication and inhaler her parents have asked us to inquire if a humidifier can be placed in our room. Is this possible? I have found the air quality and humidity in the rooms to be quite good.

Are they wanting you to add humidity to a room in Florida, if so please tell them it won't be needed.

God, I hope they don't. There are enough mold issues with the rooms in Florida without adding humidity.

Are they wanting you to add humidity to a room in Florida, if so please tell them it won't be needed.

This was my first thought! I'm from Georgia and wouldn't even think about ADDING humidity to our home. Agree with another poster about the mold issues, too.

If they just leave the balcony door open at night, they'll have more humidity in the room than any humidifier can produce. ;)

Seriously, I have asthma myself, I'm not trying to mock the OP's family members. I'm assuming they haven't been to FL in the summer...if anything, I have trouble because there's too much humidity. I've been restricting my trips to the non-humid seasons because breathing is just too difficult in the high humidity.

Reassure them, from a fellow asthma sufferer, that there's no escaping the humidity in the summer in FL. Yes, there's a/c in the rooms, but the air doesn't get terribly dry. If they're absolutely determined to have a humidifier in the room, they can be rented from A Baby's Best Friend.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I completely agree with the posters who felt that adding humidity to a hotel room in Florida might not be wise or necessary. We are just trying to be be especially careful since it's not our child and we don't want her to experience an episode when she's with us. I called Member Services and they checked with Kidani and found out that cool humidifiers are available through Housekeeping Services. I also agree with the poster who thought that the hot, humid air outside might be more of a problem. We're arriving on Monday and will hope for the best.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I completely agree with the posters who felt that adding humidity to a hotel room in Florida might not be wise or necessary. We are just trying to be be especially careful since it's not our child and we don't want her to experience an episode when she's with us. I called Member Services and they checked with Kidani and found out that cool humidifiers are available through Housekeeping Services. I also agree with the poster who thought that the hot, humid air outside might be more of a problem. We're arriving on Monday and will hope for the best.

Please let us know how everything worked out for her! Have a great time!!

We live in Florida and our doctor recommended that we put a cool humidifier in one of our boys rooms at night to help with his asthma. We thought it was a little odd but it has actually helped him. We can tell a difference if we don't use it for a couple of days. It doesn't seem to make it too humid in the room but helps him to breathe without wheezing.

When I first clicked on this link I thought the request was for a DE-HUMIDIFIER HAHA whoops!

As other poster have said - the humidity can be absolutely smothering. However, there is a big difference between natural air temperature humidity, and cool-mist generated humidity from cool water. The generated humidity does not 'hang' in the air, so it is easier to breathe in to moisten the air passages/sinuses and such.

Natural humidity is more difficult for the human body to absorb through regular breathing because it doesn't have the same effect within the air passages.

So, while it does sound incredibly ridiculous at face value to increase the humidity in the thick Florida air, it makes sense from a biologic perspective.

We do not travel to Florida in June, July, or August due to the heat and humidity - we are more October, November, January, February people HAHA
We have been the last week of May first week of June - and the week after Labor Day in September - and those weren't bad, but the crowds were higher than our usual Fall/Winter trips.

For GREAT weather in the shoulder seasons - go to Disneyland in California, February, March, April, and May are absolutely incredible - and we've been to Disneyland over Labor Day week before and while the sun was very strong there was virtually no humidity. We love Disneyland and California - can't want to go back in a few year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter