hulu plus vs netflix

funkychunkymonkey

DIS Veteran
ok someone tell me what one i want! I have netflix and am enjoying the older tv shows but i kinda miss my newer shows. Whats on hulu plus? If I hulu plus will there free shows stream too? I love tv watching. Please help me decide

ok someone tell me what one i want! I have netflix and am enjoying the older tv shows but i kinda miss my newer shows. Whats on hulu plus? If I hulu plus will there free shows stream too? I love tv watching. Please help me decide

The irritating thing about Hulu Plus is that there are still commercials. You can go to the Hulu site and see what's on there, though.

We've been doing Netflix for a few years now. About 3 weeks ago I decided to do the free trial of HuluPlus. We stream on an LG 3DTV so this is my experience with that.

Netflix runs quite smoothly and every once in awhile we'll have to "deactivate" the app on the TV and log back in. Not sure why this is, but maybe once every 2 weeks or so (obviously buggy software in the app). It's just a few simple clicks so not a problem. Other than that it runs nice and smooth.

HuluPlus we didn't even keep the free trial for a week. HATED the app and the interface (WAY too confusing compared to Netflix). It also took forever to load a program and then it would constantly freeze up. Was just really annoying (probably buggy software app like Netflix, just...buggier :)) Plus the fact that it still had commercials just wasn't worth it for us (what are we paying for if there are still commercials???). We cancelled after 2 days.

We have both Netflix and Hulu Plus, which we stream thru Roku boxes. I think your user interface for each will vary depending on the product from which you are streaming the content.

I personally like the Hulu plus better because many new shows are available, usually the day after it airs. My kids would prefer Netflix because the cartoons they like are on there. My husband would probably say he likes them both equally.

As far as the commercials on hulu, I really don't mind them. They aren't super long like you would get on TV and you see a countdown during them saying 'your show will resume in 30,29,28,27 etc seconds'.

We have both Netflix and Hulu Plus, which we stream thru Roku boxes. I think your user interface for each will vary depending on the product from which you are streaming the content.

I personally like the Hulu plus better because many new shows are available, usually the day after it airs. My kids would prefer Netflix because the cartoons they like are on there. My husband would probably say he likes them both equally.

As far as the commercials on hulu, I really don't mind them. They aren't super long like you would get on TV and you see a countdown during them saying 'your show will resume in 30,29,28,27 etc seconds'.

Can you stream Hulu Plus to your phone?

I cancelled Hulu+ because 90% of what I watch is on CBS and they don't have CBS. They have some OLD CBS shows taken from the "CBS vault" but I want current episodes of things like CSI, NCIS, Hawaii Five O, etc...

If they ever get current CBS shows on there I will re-subscribe.

For those looking for CBS shows, I just signed up for play on, and use it on my roku. You can access all of the CBS computer only shows (like ncis) right on your tv. I paid 45 for a lifetime license (not sure exactly what that means) but it has tons of shows available. You have to have your computer on to play the shows but it lets me watch hgtv and cooking shows which are really lacking with Netflix and Hulu.

I have that and use it some. It is glitchy and the picture quality is only 480p.

It is just ok. I would love a better quality pic and not needing the PC on.

Dawn

For those looking for CBS shows, I just signed up for play on, and use it on my roku. You can access all of the CBS computer only shows (like ncis) right on your tv. I paid 45 for a lifetime license (not sure exactly what that means) but it has tons of shows available. You have to have your computer on to play the shows but it lets me watch hgtv and cooking shows which are really lacking with Netflix and Hulu.

We did the one week free trial of hulu plus and were pretty disappointed. There really isn't much on it to watch, there are still commercials and we've had a hard time connecting to the service regardless of what we use to connect (we use the roku, the ps3 and the internet app on our tv). We decided to cancel it and they offered us one month free so DH kept it. He can't turn down "free" apparently lol

we have the netflix streaming and are satisfied somewhat, there are no commercials so that's a plus. The selection is not as great as it once was.

I believe Hulu Plus is good if you want to catch up on the current season of a show and you don't have a DVR. :confused3

For example, my family decided to watch Doctor Who during the middle of the 7th series (of the current version...). We able able to watch the first six seasons on Netflix, but had to go to Amazon.com to watch a few things. I'm not sure if they would have been on Hulu Plus to be honest.

We have Netflix mostly for movies and older TV shows. I watched all of The Dick Van Dyke show last year, and we are watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and Merlin right now.

I have that and use it some. It is glitchy and the picture quality is only 480p.

It is just ok. I would love a better quality pic and not needing the PC on.

Dawn

I believe this must depend on your computer/Internet/router setup. I read some questionable reviews with people having issues, but we have a very fast gaming computer, mid level Internet (not sure exact speed) and a newer dual band router and have no issues at all. I don't think there is any hd that I have come across yet but I don't use it for those shows. For instance, I think Netflix has hd, but we just use the Netflix channel, not the play on one. I decided to try it b it claims you can get a refund within 30 days but we won't be canceling.

Unfortunately I don't think there will be another option until CBS decides to allow the shows to be streamed on other devices. Of course, you can always catch the shows live over the air for free, or use a pc set up or DVR to record.

I believe this must depend on your computer/Internet/router setup. I read some questionable reviews with people having issues, but we have a very fast gaming computer, mid level Internet (not sure exact speed) and a newer dual band router and have no issues at all. I don't think there is any hd that I have come across yet but I don't use it for those shows. For instance, I think Netflix has hd, but we just use the Netflix channel, not the play on one. I decided to try it b it claims you can get a refund within 30 days but we won't be canceling.

Unfortunately I don't think there will be another option until CBS decides to allow the shows to be streamed on other devices. Of course, you can always catch the shows live over the air for free, or use a pc set up or DVR to record.

Not sure what device you are using, but CBS just came out with an app for the iPhone. Shows seem limited , but I have not browsed around it that much

I have both, and love them. Hulu Plus is only $8 a month. But keep in mind that some shows are web only even if you have the Roku device. I'm not sure if it would be different if you had Google TV with it?

I have both, and love them. Hulu Plus is only $8 a month. But keep in mind that some shows are web only even if you have the Roku device. I'm not sure if it would be different if you had Google TV with it?

I hear the use your PC to record thing a lot, but we don't have an extra computer nor is our office with the desktop PC in it anywhere near a TV to hook them up.

I also have no idea how to do it and would probably need another computer, a TV card, and it would only hook up to one of our TVs, right?

I have considered getting Tivo.

FWIW: We too have a gaming computer and dual band router and usually around 25mbps speeds.

Dawn

I don't know what this means. You mean that Hulu Plus has shows available ONLY through the website and not through other streaming media (Roku, phone, smart tv)?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter