Hulk closing soon

Aw darn, I'd hoped it would still be open for my visit on the 16th. Oh well. The improvements sound great

official word in local paper today:

Incredible Hulk Coaster, one of the original rides at Universal's Islands of Adventure, soon will be closed for a series of improvements.

The bright green thrill ride, based on a bulky, intense Marvel Comics character, will close Sept. 8 (the day after Labor Day) and return sometime next summer

official word in local paper today:

Incredible Hulk Coaster, one of the original rides at Universal's Islands of Adventure, soon will be closed for a series of improvements.

The bright green thrill ride, based on a bulky, intense Marvel Comics character, will close Sept. 8 (the day after Labor Day) and return sometime next summer
I am so happy that it will still be open while we are there Aug 19-23! It is one of my family's favourite coasters at Universal and we would have been very disappointed had it been down for our first Universal stay in 3 years. YaY!

I'm a little taken aback by how angry some folks are on social media. Some are even saying that they'll be canceling their entire vacation just because this ride will be closed. That's extreme! I applaud Universal for taking the time to update this ride and make sure it's safe. It'll probably be much smoother too if indeed they're doing track replacements, new seating, etc. I'll be there at the end of October and it sucks to miss the ride, but everything else will be working just fine so no fretting.

:flower:

I'm a little taken aback by how angry some folks are on social media. Some are even saying that they'll be canceling their entire vacation just because this ride will be closed. That's extreme! I applaud Universal for taking the time to update this ride and make sure it's safe. It'll probably be much smoother too if indeed they're doing track replacements, new seating, etc. I'll be there at the end of October and it sucks to miss the ride, but everything else will be working just fine so no fretting.

Ya, that's ridiculous. Rides have to close for maintenance and upgrades.

I would have been bummed if it was closed during our trip too, but to cancel when the parks are full of other fun rides that will be open (including the other coasters) is so weird. I'll make sure to ride it for all of you that are going to miss it! :woohoo:

bummed to hear that the Hulk will be closed while we'll be at universal. hope that doesn't mean everything else will have longer lines! :(

noooooo. :sad1:
I was hoping it would at least be open until I get there in late September. I haven't been to Orlando in 5 years and was looking forward to it! Oh well, it did really need an upgrade...

I agree, I wouldn't cancel a trip of just 1 ride. On my one and only trip to Disneyland (so far) Haunted Mansion was closed the entire time I was there. Also, Pirates of the Caribbean and California Screamin' was closed starting the second day I was there. This was also when California Adventure was torn up with Carsland/Rebranding construction. I still went and had a blast.

That being said, Universal seems to do a much better job than Disney at having all the major rides open nearly all the time. For example, Spiderman has only closed for a few months to finish it's upgrade in the 15 years it's been open. Forbidden Journey upgraded it's projection system without any downtime. It helps that Universal parks close earlier than Disney parks most of the year. That gives them more time to do maintenance and refurbishments on a continual basis.

That's a loooong time for a rehab. I'd guess the new launch system is probably the reason. I wonder if that means they'll have to re-profile any of the track?

I assume this means the end of the tire launch. That's too bad - I always thought that was pretty cool. But perhaps there's a reason the Hulk is the only ride in the world with system. My money would be on a move to magnets.

As far as the main complaint people seem to have about the current ride - roughness/headbanging - again, that is less of a track issue (at least on steel coasters) and more of a wheel/train issue. As I said earlier, a change from the hard horse collars would be a great improvement.

That's a loooong time for a rehab. I'd guess the new launch system is probably the reason. I wonder if that means they'll have to re-profile any of the track?

I assume this means the end of the tire launch. That's too bad - I always thought that was pretty cool. But perhaps there's a reason the Hulk is the only ride in the world with system. My money would be on a move to magnets.

As far as the main complaint people seem to have about the current ride - roughness/headbanging - again, that is less of a track issue (at least on steel coasters) and more of a wheel/train issue. As I said earlier, a change from the hard horse collars would be a great improvement.

It's not really long considering it's never been in a major referb/makeover since ioa opened.

I guess I should have said it's long for a normal, run-of-the-mill rehab, such as coasters get regularly at the year-round parks. Those last weeks, and this will take, what, maybe nine-10 months? Whole entire rides are built in less time than that.

My point being - as you said - this is major, major work - more akin to a whole re-thinking of the experience than new trains and some track work. Will be exciting to see what they do.

^^^This breaks my heart. Even though I *know* new trains are coming, and the track will be replaced, it just guts me!

(Also, WHY wouldn't they have auctioned those trains off or something? Or they could have just sent one directly to me! I'd have found a spot for it in my living room!!!!)

^^^This breaks my heart. Even though I *know* new trains are coming, and the track will be replaced, it just guts me!

(Also, WHY wouldn't they have auctioned those trains off or something? Or they could have just sent one directly to me! I'd have found a spot for it in my living room!!!!)

Scrap metal money.

We heard someone today have a pink fit and have a real go at a TM because Hulk was closed......they had come specially for that ride...if you believe that......

TM was amazing with them though despite how rude they were being......

Some people.....

We heard someone today have a pink fit and have a real go at a TM because Hulk was closed......they had come specially for that ride...if you believe that......

TM was amazing with them though despite how rude they were being......

Some people.....
It never ceases to amaze me how many people travel willy-nilly without thoroughly researching their destinations. I attended the 2011 Celebration of Harry Potter and there were some guests who were LIVID that this event was going on and disrupting their travel plans. Ugh! The closure of the Hulk has been heavily publicized. I'm definitely disappointed that it's going to be closed while I'm there, but I am glad I'm aware of the situation before my departure. I will never understand how people can spend thousands of dollars on a vacation but not take the time to be fully informed.

Anyone have a current picture of the area? I'd love to see what it looks like without the giant green coaster there. I'm kinda sad it probably won't be open yet on our next trip, but here's hoping!

So I guess my suspicions were correct - this is shaping up to be - perhaps - a completely new ride, what with the tracks coming down. That explains the lengthy closure.

I'm surprised there haven't been more rumours/info floating around out there about what is planned. It seems B&M remains involved, and that they may actually design the new launch system (they built the original Hulk, but not the tire launch - that was done in-house, I believe). And, yes, there is speculation the new trains will have the soft "vest" restraints that are a huge improvement over the old horsecollars.

We're there next week - it will be really strange to see IOA without Hulk. It was such an intrinsic part of their skyline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter