Hubby says one day is enough, I am hoping for 2 days

SeattleSuz

Em Eye See, Kay Ee Why Em Oh You Ess Ee!!
So, we are planning a SoCal trip in the fall and hubby tells me "One day at Disneyland is enough, I don't want to do 2" Granted, we are going down there to visit his BFF in Santa Barbara, so the DLR part is a bonus. But we are planning to fly into Orange County, stay a night or two there and then head up to *yawn* Santa Barbara for the remainder of the trip.

We havent been since 2010, when DD was 2.5 (but we have been to WDW and on DCL since then, so she hasn't missed out on Disney), so some of the stuff is new since we've been there.
If you only had one day at DLR, what would your NOT-TO-BE-MISSED attractions be???

If you are planning just DL, I would suggest Matterhorn for sure with the new abominable snowman enhancements, HM with the Hatbox Ghost, BTMRR with new effects as must-see attractions, and if you are there for the night time entertainment, PtN and Disneyland Forever fireworks are wonderful.

I would probably start by asking a few questions...
  1. Are you planning on getting park hopper tickets or not?
  2. Based on your ticker, it looks like you'll be there in late September. Are you going on a weekday (Mon to Thu) or weekend day (Fri to Sun)?
I ask the question about PH because that has an impact on what things people will tell you to do. If you do opt for PH, I highly recommend checking out Carsland (in DCA), but I would probably base your trip in DL because that park has more of the iconic rides. If you're not going to PH, then I would spend the day in DL.

The question about dates is because by late-September, the parks are usually operating on their non-peak schedule, which means shorter hours and reduced entertainment (especially on weekends). Historically, fireworks, F!, and Mad T Party are only presented on Fri to Sun in the off-season. WoC is presented nightly and we do not yet know what will be happening with Paint the Night (the nighttime parade). Soundsational and Pixar Play Parade are generally offered daily.

You mention having been to WDW, so I highly recommend checking out HydroGuy's A DLR Guide for WDW Vets to help you get a sense of the similarities and differences between the two resorts.

In terms of the number of days...I think you can get a sense/flavor of Disneyland in one-day, but you won't be able to do everything (especially if you try to add in any shows or character meet and greets). With two-days, you can do more (or perhaps take things at a more relaxed pace), but you'll still have to prioritize what you want to get done. I generally think you need between 3- and 5-days to really experience DLR.

If you are planning just DL, I would suggest Matterhorn for sure with the new abominable snowman enhancements, HM with the Hatbox Ghost, BTMRR with new effects as must-see attractions, and if you are there for the night time entertainment, PtN and Disneyland Forever fireworks are wonderful.

We are most likely going to get hoppers, so that DD can go on California Screamin' and the Ariel ride over at CA. I'm sure she wants to go on GRR as well.
When does the NBC start at the HM?? I have not been on the Matterhorn in ages, so I am happy to see that they have updated it. It was closed for refurbishments the last two times I was there.

With one day...you should to pick a park. I've had family and friends visit and try and do both parks in one day, even with us as guides, and they always realize they should not have. They end up too hurried to get in as much as they can and enjoy it less.

Since '10, Cars Land and other attractions have been added at DCA, which finally made it feel like a full-day park itself. Many of the big rides for DCA are at the back of the park, making bouncing between parks hard.

Looks like you may be there at Halloween time. You'll want to keep an eye out around July to look at the parks schedules, DL will start to close early on some days for Mickey's Halloween Party, which is a completely separate ~$70/ticket event. In the Fall, HM should be made over for Haunted Mansion Holiday (Nightmare before Christmas).

We are most likely going to get hoppers, so that DD can go on California Screamin' and the Ariel ride over at CA. I'm sure she wants to go on GRR as well.
When does the NBC start at the HM?? I have not been on the Matterhorn in ages, so I am happy to see that they have updated it. It was closed for refurbishments the last two times I was there.
Haunted Mansion Holiday usually starts with the start of HalloweenTime. We don't know when that will happen this year, but the best guessing is between September 12 and 18 (I'd guess closer to the 12th than the 18th just because of the popularity). Along with HMH, Space Mtn also gets a Halloween overlay (and becomes SMGG).

Matterhorn...it was updated and debuted new elements last week. The effects are really impressive, but just note that the ride itself is very rough.

I would suggest more than one day at the DLR, especially if you're planning on going to DCA. She'll be old enough now to ride both Indiana Jones and Matterhorn, both of which can't be found at WDW. If you go to DCA, don't miss Radiator Springs Racers, Cars Land, World of Color, or the Aladdin show. At Disneyland, they have a new Paint the Night parade and Disneyland Forever fireworks show. I just saw both a few days ago, and was blown away!

I would probably start by asking a few questions...
  1. Are you planning on getting park hopper tickets or not?
  2. Based on your ticker, it looks like you'll be there in late September. Are you going on a weekday (Mon to Thu) or weekend day (Fri to Sun)?
I ask the question about PH because that has an impact on what things people will tell you to do. If you do opt for PH, I highly recommend checking out Carsland (in DCA), but I would probably base your trip in DL because that park has more of the iconic rides. If you're not going to PH, then I would spend the day in DL.

The question about dates is because by late-September, the parks are usually operating on their non-peak schedule, which means shorter hours and reduced entertainment (especially on weekends). Historically, fireworks, F!, and Mad T Party are only presented on Fri to Sun in the off-season. WoC is presented nightly and we do not yet know what will be happening with Paint the Night (the nighttime parade). Soundsational and Pixar Play Parade are generally offered daily.

You mention having been to WDW, so I highly recommend checking out HydroGuy's A DLR Guide for WDW Vets to help you get a sense of the similarities and differences between the two resorts.

In terms of the number of days...I think you can get a sense/flavor of Disneyland in one-day, but you won't be able to do everything (especially if you try to add in any shows or character meet and greets). With two-days, you can do more (or perhaps take things at a more relaxed pace), but you'll still have to prioritize what you want to get done. I generally think you need between 3- and 5-days to really experience DLR.

Yes, we are getting PHs. I really want to see CarsLand, it looks so neat! DH is Meh about it.
We are most likely going September 30-October 1, or if DH has his way, just October 1. (boo!) So, we are looking at mid-week. I didnt even think about fireworks shows not being done during the week. Doh!
DD has met just about every princess, as well as the Fab 5, so meet and greets are most likely not going to slow us down. I know we will probably want to spend a majority of our time at DLR, rather than CA, just cuz, you know, Classic attractions.

I have actually seen the Aladdin show and I know that DH would get antsy quick with that, especially since he hasnt even seen the movie. Too much singing in a show, and he's OUT. He does want to see the World of Color show though, cuz it was still being built the last time we were there and they showed a little preview of it on AFV a couple weeks ago and I saw his eyes light up (he would emphatically deny that!).
So, even with the Matterhorn updates, the ride is still rough? I remember my knees aching after riding it cuz there were slamming back and forth in the car.

I would suggest more than one day at the DLR, especially if you're planning on going to DCA. She'll be old enough now to ride both Indiana Jones and Matterhorn, both of which can't be found at WDW. If you go to DCA, don't miss Radiator Springs Racers, Cars Land, World of Color, or the Aladdin show. At Disneyland, they have a new Paint the Night parade and Disneyland Forever fireworks show. I just saw both a few days ago, and was blown away!

Heck, at 7, she's old enough for plenty.

My son first rode Space Mountain (Ghost Galaxy) at 3. My wife and I felt like the worst parents in the world letting him talk us into it, figured it would scar him for life...but it turned him into a coaster junkie. Now he counts the inches he grows according the next coaster he qualifies for...though I think these days he's tall enough for everything at DLR.

I am told the Matterhorn is as rough as ever, but the new features are great.

Last edited:
I have actually seen the Aladdin show and I know that DH would get antsy quick with that, especially since he hasnt even seen the movie. Too much singing in a show, and he's OUT. He does want to see the World of Color show though, cuz it was still being built the last time we were there and they showed a little preview of it on AFV a couple weeks ago and I saw his eyes light up (he would emphatically deny that!).
So, even with the Matterhorn updates, the ride is still rough? I remember my knees aching after riding it cuz there were slamming back and forth in the car.

The new abominable snowman in the Matterhorn is really cool, but unfortunately it's still the rough ride that it's always been. World of Color is definitely recommended over the Aladdin show. Cars Land is amazing; one of the best things Disney has done in recent years.

Yeah at 4, she rode everything at WDW, except for RR. She loved it! She told me though that she DOES NOT want to go on TOT, once in her life was enough. LOL

So, will I need to wait another month or so to see what may be under refurbishment for the end of Sept/beg of Oct?? As well as Park Hours?

I cannot imagine trying to do DLR in 1 day. We always do 4-5 days and still miss a few things. I would say a minimum of 1 day in each park. Carsland is incredible in DCA. I haven't been to see the new 60th shows, but all 3 of them (parade, fireworks, and special World of Color) would be at the top of my list.

There have also been great updates to BTMRR and Alice since you were at DL ~ great effects on both!

So, will I need to wait another month or so to see what may be under refurbishment for the end of Sept/beg of Oct?? As well as Park Hours?

Yep. Maybe longer.

They talked about changes to Mickey's Halloween Party, that can changed the schedule compared to last years, as will the 60th. That schedule should publish mid-late July when the announce the event.

As for official park times and refurbishments for everything else, I believe DLR only reports 6 weeks out.

I would really encourage you to do 2 days. You really want a chance to hang out in DCA and not feel like you have to get back to DL. The update they did to DCA a couple of years ago really makes it a place you want to spend time in. If DH is not so into it, he can hang back at the hotel or do something else for half a day. My DH generally humors me with agreeing to Disney trips. Then as the time gets closer he starts to get really into it. For the trip that I am planning with just DS, DH is now starting to think he wants to go too!

We are most likely going September 30-October 1, or if DH has his way, just October 1. (boo!) So, we are looking at mid-week. I didnt even think about fireworks shows not being done during the week.
Gay Days, one of the largest unofficial conventions at DLR, starts on Friday October 2, so you might see a slight uptick in attendance on October 1 as guests arrive for the weekend. I don't think it's going to make a huge impact on the crowds, but it's something to note. As mentioned, DLR does do a hard-ticket Halloween Party (Mickey's Halloween Party), but my guess is that you probably will miss that. There are rumors that they will be changing the parties (i.e., more dates, earlier start, have it in DCA), but it generally starts on the last Friday in September and then happens a couple times each week. If this year is anything like last year, there would probably be a party on Tuesday (2/29) and Friday (10/2), but not on Wednesday or Thursday. We probably won't know the dates for MHP until sometimes in or after July.

Yes, unfortunately because DLR is located in a residential area, they cannot present fireworks nightly. They are limited in the number of nights when they can present fireworks by an agreement with the City of Anaheim. So it usually means that in the non-peak seasons, they only have fireworks on Fri, Sat, and Sun night (as any MHP nights).

DD has met just about every princess, as well as the Fab 5, so meet and greets are most likely not going to slow us down. I know we will probably want to spend a majority of our time at DLR, rather than CA, just cuz, you know, Classic attractions.
That will then help, but it is worth noting that DLR does have some character meet and greets that you may not yet experienced at WDW. Olaf meets in DCA (assuming he's still meeting guests in Sep/Oct), the Cars bunch (McQueen, Mater, and Red) meet in Carsland (they drive out, talk, etc.), the Fab 5 will probably (maybe) still be in their 60th Anniversary attire in DL and their 30s outfits in DCA (on Buena Vista Street), along with some other characters (I'm not as familiar with the WDW characters anymore).

He does want to see the World of Color show though, cuz it was still being built the last time we were there and they showed a little preview of it on AFV a couple weeks ago and I saw his eyes light up (he would emphatically deny that!).
I wouldn't tackle WoC unless you have at least two days to do in the park. In order to really see WoC, you really have to devote somewhere between 1.5 and 2 hours (1 hour in the viewing area and another hour to get into the viewing area). The viewing area is poorly designed, so unless you're in the very front row or as tall as a professional basketball player, you're going to have a limited view of the show. If you can only see the mist screens, you're only really seeing half of the show and at that point, it's not really worth the time. Check out the World of Color SuperThread for more information on the WoC viewing area and strategies.

Yes, it's still just as rough as it was before the most recent closure.

The Disneyland Resort operating calendar is generally released about 45-days in advance, but it is often not complete until much closer to the actual days. We probably won't really know what is happening in late September until mid-to-late August. In terms of the refurbishments, those can happen with very little notice, so until you're in the park, it's hard to say what will or won't be closed.

After reading maltdizzy's comment, I just wanted to clarify -- because I don't want people getting the wrong idea -- no one at Disney (or anyone in an official capacity) has announced or revealed to the public that anything is changing with Mickey's Halloween Party, schedule-wise, location-wise, or entertainment-wise. As far as we know, right now, it's going to be business as usual.

However, just based on the fact that there is a big spotlight on the Diamond Celebration events this year, and also taking into account that there were some rumors (last year) about what might happen with MHP this year (supposedly fueled by what Cast Members said they were told), it stands to reason that something could change in some aspect of MHP in 2015. But all we have is speculation right now, based on old rumors and deductive reasoning.

If there are no major changes coming to MHP or to Halloween Time, we probably won't find out MHP dates and info until July -- maybe late, late June at the earliest. If any major changes are coming, the Parks Blog might do an early blog (soon) to announce it. Obviously, the closer we get to July without any major announcements, the less chance there is of any huge change. There have not been any new rumors this year, so it is highly possible that whatever changes were on the table as an option in 2014 were scrapped.

I haven't seen the film Alladin either, but really enjoyed the show at California Adventure and would like to see it again.
The Matterhorn bob sleds are no longer the original style. That occured with a previous refurbishment, not the last one. Depending upon how tall you are, your knees won't be getting bruised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter