Hubby says I don't need to plan!!!

We do crowd calendars, do Fastpasses, hit rope drop. By 11-12noon we pretty much wing it. Just ask your husband how much he enjoys standing in lines. If you're really evil, make no plans the first full day, go to the most crowded park, and see how he likes it. But make plans for the rest of the trip without telling him.

You should definitely plan some things, but don't feel like you have to plan everything. My advice is to look at the restaurant and attractions that are hard to get an ADR or FP for and see if you want to do any of them. Scoop them up as early as you can. Anything else can be chosen closer to your trip or even while your at Disney.

We make a couple of ADRs, but do nothing else. No FP+, no park schedule - nothing. We take each day as it comes. That is how we prefer to vacation. We have yet to have a bad trip to WDW.

While its certainly possible to do a trip without planning, FP+ makes not planning far more risky and potentially much more negative. It was designed to do exactly that. I would book FPs for what days you think you are going to certain parks, but keep an open mind to switching them around while you are there.

like many of the others....

You gotta at least have what parks on what days for ADRs, FP+, and nighttime shows!

I feel your pain!! My 2 brothers, SIL, nephew and I are headed down in October for 5 nights.

My youngest brother and I just got back a few weeks ago and oldest brother (and SIL to a lesser extent) was making fun of us for making fast pass selections (he hasn't been there since FP+ has been implemented-I've been 5 times). I explained that doing a little bit of planning beforehand will save a lot of time while there. He said that's stupid and he's not going to be tied to a schedule while on vacation. I told him the FP+ will help him wait in line less. He replied that he wasnt going to wait in any lines. :confused3

Since this trip is really for the 5 year old and I'm staying out of the planning (or lack thereof) process. If things go well, fantastic, if not I will keep my "I told you so" in my head.

Could this be hubby's way of subtly telling you that your last vacation was a little too planned out and that he's hoping for some "anything can happen" days?

I'm all for planning, but if you're a "plan every hour of every day" kind of person, he may just want a little "time off".

:earsboy:

If you have taken Hubby on Commando Touring as I did mine--then NO he does NOT want to do that again.

Maybe he wants a vacation with more time to RELAX and spend time with his family.

OTOH, NO planning is foolish.

No matter when you go, RD is still your best friend (though I would allow at least 3 mornings to sleep in out of 14 days.) PH are good if they are in teh budget as you can always escape to Epcot if the crowds are too thick. MK is now wall to wall mayhem any day, any time of year after 1 pm. (at the latest.)

Midday breaks help keep everyone much much nicer to each other.

Like IceSkatingPrincess I think crowd calendars are way overrated and way overemphasized. In short what you need to know since 2011 is not matter when you go, crowds will be heavier than what you experienced in the past.

I stay offsite always. The answer to your question depends a great deal on how you usually deal with the parks. Personally, the last time I went was only for three days, so I planned what park(s) (park hopper) I was going to visit and on what days and then made my FP+ selections. I also had two places that I made ADR's for and those were mostly just to fit in with what I was thinking about doing.

Again, it is a personal thing. If you have a car, it is just as easy and no more time consuming to just go back to your car and drive offsite and eat most of your meals. For me I have breakfast before I go to the parks, usually have a quick service lunch and leave late afternoon to rest and have dinner offsite. I then return for the evening. I always have felt, in all my trips, that the little break rejuvenated me for the evening. Since I am not a parade or fireworks fan, I use that time to go on rides that are usually hard to get on, (like 7DMT) while everyone else is fighting for space to watch the other stuff. It just works for me. So, to make a long story longer, I only plan, location, FP's and whatever ADR's I might need... usually none.

A couple of years ago I didn't even make FP+ choices until I got to the park that morning. It was in the slower season and you didn't say when you planned on going. If it's the real busy season, waiting would probably a very disappointing way to do it.

Oh poop on him. Mine says the same thing. If I don't plan, we will be eating papa Johns pizza for dinner because we will be standing in hours worth of lines and get on 3 rides in August. Then everyone will be hot and grumpy...and my dh will say..what are we eating for dinner? Oh no he didnt!

Dh says we dont need a plan...just like he and my kids "don't care where we eat". Bullpoopies!

He's right. Don't plan anything. Get Iceskatingprincess to do it all... she can do anything 0_0 I'm half tempted to ask her to get me a night in the castle

Could this be hubby's way of subtly telling you that your last vacation was a little too planned out and that he's hoping for some "anything can happen" days?

I'm all for planning, but if you're a "plan every hour of every day" kind of person, he may just want a little "time off".

:earsboy:

Seconding this because I had the same question. I love to plan. I can happily schedule every minute. DH is cool with that up to a point. But then he wants to wander around and "soak up atmosphere." So we compromise - I plan up to lunch and the rest of the day is pretty open unless we have an ADR. It's been great for both of us as we get to go go go and see as much as possible while also relaxing and seeing the little things that we never notice when rushing around. In short, if your previous trip was really scheduled, consider planning not just days or afternoons off but blocks of in-park unscheduled time.

This thread is the perfect opportunity to post a hilarious comment I received when I was obsessively planning my last trip. It was an extended family trip and some (including my hubby) wanted NO part of any planning - especially the level of ADRs and FP+ ride selections. I posted a thread here about family who didn't appreciate my planning and how to get them on board. I wish I could find the original thread or credit the wonderful poster who said this, but I can only find the text that I cut and pasted into an email. It is a spoof on Jack Nicholson's monologue from the movie A Few Good Men

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we vacation in a world that has FP+ and ADR's and those things have to be planned by people with type-A personality. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Aunt Sylvia? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for "going with the flow" and you curse the 17-page spreadsheet. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Being up at 6am on 180+ 10, while tragic, probably saved a reservation. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves time! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that computer. You need me on MDE! We use words like "pin code", "FP+", "touring plans". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent making something magical. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a person who rides, and eats TS, and sleeps on property under the blanket of the very plan that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a laptop and log on to Dis. Either way, I don't give a magical disney day what you think you are entitled to!"

Plan away! I plan until there is nothing left to tinker with lol! I have everything done now, and I'm just twiddling my thumbs. So yesterday I decided to order a surprise cake for my mom lol, I have to have something to preoccupy myself until the trip.

1) He's mental
2) He doesn't understand
3) Ignore Hubby's advice
4) Keep Calm and Book your Ressies

All the above ::yes::

Hubby just noticed I'm on the Dis (again) and asked what I would to while being gone on a trip with my daughter's girl scouts for a week. . . He asked if he should post on DIS in my place. He plans to use my ID to go into every post saying "Just show up. It will be fine! Don't book any Fastpasses, they're stupid! Planning is for suckers!" (I *think* deep down he appreciates my planning. . . I'm pretty sure. . . . )

On behalf of husbands out there, I do think there are benefits to some kind of plan and why not take advantage of FP +, some key ADR's for some favorites etc. (even if your plans change). Having said this, you may not need to over plan as you have 14 days to work with, particularly if you are going at slower time of year and plan to rope drop.

Hubby just noticed I'm on the Dis (again) and asked what I would to while being gone on a trip with my daughter's girl scouts for a week. . . He asked if he should post on DIS in my place. He plans to use my ID to go into every post saying "Just show up. It will be fine! Don't book any Fastpasses, they're stupid! Planning is for suckers!" (I *think* deep down he appreciates my planning. . . I'm pretty sure. . . . )
As I was reading this I pictured your reaction being like your avatar...lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter