• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hubby may or may not make our Free Dining trip

Joules1111

Gearing up for 3 y/os first Disney Trip
I am currently planning a disney trip at the beginning of November to take advantage of Free Dining. My husband is going to be right on the edge of having enough leave time to join me and my son - he won't know if he can make it for a couple of months.

Should I just include him in the reservation for now?

He may not know until the last minute so I might prefer to leave him on the reservation just in case (he can always use the tickets at a later date). If he can't make it and we don't remove him from the reservation does Disney remove his dining credits from our account, or can my son and I use them?

Thanks for any info. I've never done the dining plan and am not sure how it works.

You can use the dining credits but you'll still have to purchase his tickets. He can save them.

If you remove him from the reservation within 45 days, the cost of your package will go down and change fees will be in effect. On the other hand, you probably won't be able to add him within 3 days of arrival and get dining credits for him.

I am currently planning a disney trip at the beginning of November to take advantage of Free Dining. My husband is going to be right on the edge of having enough leave time to join me and my son - he won't know if he can make it for a couple of months.

He may not know until the last minute so I might prefer to leave him on the reservation just in case (he can always use the tickets at a later date). If he can't make it and we don't remove him from the reservation does Disney remove his dining credits from our account, or can my son and I use them?

Thanks for any info. I've never done the dining plan and am not sure how it works.

Will you know in "a couple of months" or "last minute?" If he's on the reservation, but needs to be taken off in a couple of months there won't be a fee because you'll be before the 45 day mark. If he's on the reservation and has to be taken off at the last minute - meaning within 45 days of your arrival date, there will be a $50 change fee charged because your total cost will be lower. If you decide not to take him off the reservation and he can't go, you can save his tickets for a future trip. Dining credits are assigned to the room so anyone on the room reservation will be able to use them.

You can add him and get tickets and the dining plan for him up to 3 days prior to arrival date ( 2 days if going through DVC office).

When we were unsure if one person in our group would be able to go, we opted to wait until we knew for certain rather than add him early and potentially have to pay $50 to take him off the res.

If he's on the reservation, but needs to be taken off in a couple of months there won't be a fee because you'll be before the 45 day mark. If he's on the reservation and has to be taken off at the last minute - meaning within 45 days of your arrival date, there will be a $50 change fee charged because your total cost will be lower. If you decide not to take him off the reservation and he can't go, you can save his tickets for a future trip. Dining credits are assigned to the room so anyone on the room reservation will be able to use them.

You can add him and get tickets and the dining plan for him up to 3 days prior to arrival date ( 2 days if going through DVC office).

:thumbsup2

We had a friend cancel on us at the last minute but didn't take him off our reservation. Although we still had to pay for his park tickets the room cost doesn't change if there is 3 of us or 4. By keeping him on the reservation we could use the extra dining plan credits to eat a lot more signature meals than originally planned :cool1:

So what can be done with his park tickets? As long as he has not used any of the days are the tickets still good for a future trip? Do you need to let anyone know. This might happen to us so just seeing what our options are and how to go about it.

Thanks

So what can be done with his park tickets? As long as he has not used any of the days are the tickets still good for a future trip? Do you need to let anyone know. This might happen to us so just seeing what our options are and how to go about it.

Thanks

Yes, as long as they are not used they are good to save.:)

I am currently planning a disney trip at the beginning of November to take advantage of Free Dining. My husband is going to be right on the edge of having enough leave time to join me and my son - he won't know if he can make it for a couple of months. Should I just include him in the reservation for now? He may not know until the last minute so I might prefer to leave him on the reservation just in case (he can always use the tickets at a later date). If he can't make it and we don't remove him from the reservation does Disney remove his dining credits from our account, or can my son and I use them? Thanks for any info. I've never done the dining plan and am not sure how it works.

By the way, be sure you include him now in the number of people for your ADRs. That's an easy change to go down but not up. My mom decided to join us two weeks ago for our November trip. She had no idea the dining headaches she caused!

By the way, be sure you include him now in the number of people for your ADRs. That's an easy change to go down but not up. My mom decided to join us two weeks ago for our November trip. She had no idea the dining headaches she caused!

Thanks for this. I added him to all that I could today. I used the Disney website and had to make new reservations and cancel the old ones. This worked for all but the Crystal Palace as there wasn't any availability. I might try to call the reservation number later tonight.

If he can't join us, do I need to call the dining reservation line and let them know that we will only be a party of two. I know I can't just show up short one person, but I could not find any way to adjust the number on the website, so I figure a call is the way to go?

This exact situation happened to us last year! My son (15) was on the fence about going with us, or staying home with his dad. I called and spoke to a customer service rep at Disney about our reservation. Their advice was to add him to the dining reservations, but not to the room. I was told that we could add him to the room, as late as the day before check in and he would still receive the free dining, just like the rest of us. Because it would increase the package cost, there were no fees for changing. In the end, he decided to stay home. We also had no problem with our reservations, and were not charged a no show fee for having one less person than on the reservation. Looking forward to this years trip when my hubs and my older son are going! :thumbsup2 Have fun!

If he can't join us, do I need to call the dining reservation line and let them know that we will only be a party of two. I know I can't just show up short one person, but I could not find any way to adjust the number on the website, so I figure a call is the way to go?

You can show up at the restaurants with fewer people than on your reservation and you will not be charged the no show fee for the missing person. It is much easier to show up with fewer than try to add someone at the podium so if there is an outside chance that he'll be able to come at the last minute I would leave the reservations as is.

If you call to change the number on your reservations, make sure that the CM understands you only want to modify the res and not cancel it. The only ones I would be sure to modify are any pre-paid reservations (e.g. CRT, dinner shows).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter