How's the food? Really?

pbharris4

DIS Veteran
Some seem to rave about it. Some just don't like it. What are your opinions? Can you compare them to some restaurants? Is it equivalent to some of the more upscale restaurants at WDW? I've seen some meus posted on a website and it looks interesting, but hey if it's not good, it's not good. I know everyone has different tastes so feel free to share your opinion! :goodvibes

I thought it was fantastic, and I'm a really fussy eater. The portions are European sized (smaller) which means you don't leave the dining room feeling ill. And, you have room for dessert!

I have cruised with Carnival twice and the food was great, really good :flower: (I gained weight). DCL was OK,( I did not gain weight) I did not eat at Palo saving that for next years cruise. The fact that it was only OK did not stop me from booking again on the 7 night Western. :cool1: My first cruise was the 3 night, it sounds like the food might be better on the 7night. :cloud9:

The food on DCL is not as good as Carnival or RCCL..but is better than the average restaurant in WDW!

We are not upscale people, but we thought the food was excellent...My hubby loves to eat, I mean, loves it, and he was impressed. I am picky, and found something I loved all the time. Certain times DH saw more than one thing, and asked the waiter for his suggestion, and of course, they brought both of them..

Now Palo's is AMAZING.. Truly a different grade altogether. THis food is mouthwatering..

Heck we even found the food at Pluto's (fast food) to be great... :cloud9:

:wave:
The food is fantastic in my opinion...

There have been times when nothing on the menu sounds good to me and my server let me make up my own menu....turned out to be one of the best meals I had :goodvibes . Palo brunch is awesome! Orrechetta pasta topped with boursin cheese :love: ...not to mention the famous chocolate souffle!! hhmm, seem to be gaining weight as I speak :rotfl2: I have 2 kids, ages 15 & 13...they really enjoy the food, so to me thats saying something good for DCL.

Hugs,

RonnieJo :flower: :mickeybar

:wizard: I thought the food was amazing as well. It is cool because each night they have a different theme so even if you dont like the food one night, you might love it on another night. :earsboy:

I've heard comments such as the ones on this thread about other cruise lines' food being better than DCL, but I'm curious as to why. What do they have? More variety? More creative dishes? Do tell.

Probably due to the variety! On one of the cruise lines, each night is a different international country...so, you get Italian, French, Mexican etc. each night! Also on some other lines, you a have a bigger variety on the menu! Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy the food on DCL too!

I think the food "quality" matters when you get it. If you are served earlier during the seatings, the food is fresher and hence tastes better. Having had both early and late seating, I remember enjoying the taste of my meals more during main seating. :confused3

I do not know for certain if DCL cooks to order, or not?

Having worked in the banquet and restaurant industry years ago at a large conference hotel, which would be similar in scale to the ship's dining rooms and kitchens, all the food was prepared at about the same time for seated events. We serviced special orders too, which were prepared vegan, no salt, kosher, etc., and had alternate menus for the same event. So the ones served first by the wait staff got the hotter, fresher food.

Could this be a contributor to varying perception in quality?

GenieDana said:
I think the food "quality" matters when you get it. If you are served earlier during the seatings, the food is fresher and hence tastes better. Having had both early and late seating, I remember enjoying the taste of my meals more during main seating. :confused3

I do not know for certain if DCL cooks to order, or not?

Having worked in the banquet and restaurant industry years ago at a large conference hotel, which would be similar in scale to the ship's dining rooms and kitchens, all the food was prepared at about the same time for seated events. We serviced special orders too, which were prepared vegan, no salt, kosher, etc., and had alternate menus for the same event. So the ones served first by the wait staff got the hotter, fresher food.

Could this be a contributor to varying perception in quality?

Very interesting theory. We had late seating and I was not impressed with the food at all. And I am not a picky eater. I think you ought to run a poll!

Don't get mad at me -- this is only my opinion! And, please remember, my DH and I are big restaurant eaters/people living in Chicago area -- so, we might be comparing too much --

Overall, we thought the food was just marginal -- we had the late seating and that might have something to do with it. It seemed like to food was cooked earlier and just warmed or covered with a hot temperature sauce, etc. The steaks were like something you'd get at TGIFridays, not like what you get at a high-end Steak/Chop House -- and the seafood, all is thawed and served, non is fresh -- Ive had better seafood at OutBack Steakhouse.

We might have had overblown expectations going in given all the raves we've heard about Cruise food in general (DCL, RCCL, etc.)

Palo was by far the best food on the ship -- and, I must say the buffets are done/presented very well.

Gotta love Scoops ice cream as well --

The food would be the primary reason my DH would want to try another cruise line next time -- me, on the other hand, I'm DCL bound (maybe I'll leave him at home :rotfl2:

Just my opinion ..... it really is personal preference and expectations ----

We had late seating on our cruise but that didn't have any impact on my opinion of the food-it was good. There wasn't a lot of variety-a lot of beef. However, the one menu item that my DS 12 and I thought was amazing was the Ceasar salad. We asked for it each night even if it wasn't on the menu. Everywhere we go we always compare. Only one place we've ever eaten at since has ever even come close to being as good or bettter than the Wonder's ceasar salad. IMHO :goodvibes

I am always interested to hear others talk about food--and the variety of experiences. I've only cruised one other line besides DCL and that was a RCCL Radiance of the Seas to Alaska. The BEST meal on the Radiance was worse than my worst meal on any DCL cruise. I found the food on RCCL to be served at incorrect temperatures and lacking a sense of style--no special touches, garnishes, etc.

I've loved most of our meals on DCL, except for a grouper and for a tuna with pumpkin seeds--not my favorite. Otherwise, I loved most meals on DCL..

I'm glad I posted this thread! Keep it coming!! An international theme sounds like a great idea! DCL should offer something like that in either another restaurant or in the buffet place (as an option). Palo sounds right up our alley (but we like other things, too), but our 2 yr old probably won't fare well in Flounders and her older sister (9) can't go in with her..so it looks like we'll have to skip Palo and stick w/ the other places. I hope they have lobster! It would be awful if they just "warm" the food for the later seating..yuck..that's got to be gross.

AspiringCindy said:
The food on DCL is not as good as Carnival or RCCL..but is better than the average restaurant in WDW!

I've never had a bad meal on any cruise, and I've cruised Paquet, NCL, RCCL, HAL and Disney.
Disney's portions were smaller, but that was perfect. If I wanted an appetizer, and soup and dessert, I was comfortably full, not stuffed.

Personal preferences are a HUGE factor in how individuals rate the food.
Your Carnival comments are a good example. I've never cruised them but I think most of us have the impression that food is not one of their selling points. "The party ships" slogan probably fuels that. But I did read an article recently that on Carnivals shorter cruises (3 and 4 day), there is actually a measurable number of passengers who never sleep and just party for 3 or 4 days. I guess at least for that group, food quality wouldn't be noticed or an issue. It is also why demand on Carinval ships for inside and cheaper cabins is higher than most lines.

I found the food to be equivalent of what you would expect at a wedding at a Holiday Inn or something like that. Not great, not horrible, but just okay. Some meals are better than others, but overall, I found it all to be just average. Palo is quite good, however. I was never disappointed with a meal that I've had there. I would put Palo on the level of some of the higher end restaraunts at WDW (Coral Reef, Yachtmans, maybe Artist Point.) DH loved all the food, he found it to be much better than I did, but then again, I have tasted his mothers cooking! ;)

Both my husband I agreed that on our Carnival cruise, the food was better. Tasted fresher and a lot more menu options. We also had an excellent server on Carnival and only a marginal one on DCL. That might have had something to do with it. On our Disney cruise, DD (then 6) went to dinner with the club one night and she said it was awful. A year later she still complains about it. Said her broccoli was frozen (she usually loves the stuff) and the other food was cold. Let me tell you, this girl usually loves any food and she did not have anything nice to say about Disney's food. She's being open-minded about the food and hopefully it will be better this year.

One of the things I liked about DCL dining room food was that I could be adventurous and try something unusual for an appetizer, like escargot, and stick with something familiar, like prime rib and baked potatoe, for the main course.

I don't recall having anything so terrible I couldn't eat any of it. Palo was different, but excellant. After the Lemon Martini, nothing could taste bad.

I don't think I would order the room service pizza again, except for kids.

tvguy said:
Personal preferences are a HUGE factor in how individuals rate the food.
Your Carnival comments are a good example. I've never cruised them but I think most of us have the impression that food is not one of their selling points. "The party ships" slogan probably fuels that. But I did read an article recently that on Carnivals shorter cruises (3 and 4 day), there is actually a measurable number of passengers who never sleep and just party for 3 or 4 days. I guess at least for that group, food quality wouldn't be noticed or an issue. It is also why demand on Carinval ships for inside and cheaper cabins is higher than most lines.
-------------------------------------------Let me be clear in saying that...I very much Dislike Carnival! The only redeeming quality was their food! and your comments about being a party boat on the shorter cruises is true from my experiences( 2 different Carnival cruise ships).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter