How's our Pigeon Forge "itinerary" look?

maslex

DIS Veteran
We went to Pigeon Forge back in 2010 for 3 days and did Dollywood along with the water park, Splash Country. This time we're going for 5 days and want to do a bunch of the "kitchy" stuff along the strip. We'll also be doing some driving and sightseeing.

This isn't a definite plan to see all of this stuff. It's just a list of things I put together that we "might" want to stop by and check out. Unless it has a *** next to it, because those are the things that everyone has agreed on.

Hollywood Stars & Cars Museum***
Space Needle
Wonder Works
The Track
Speed Zone Fun Park
Nascar Speed Park
Hatfield & McCoy Dinner Show***
Ripley’s Mini Golf
Ripley’s Aquarium
Ripley’s Haunted Adventure
Comedy Barn***
Pack picnic lunch to eat in Cades Cove***
Clingman's Dome (depends on how my knee is feeling) but I'm going to give it my best shot :thumbsup2
Dixie Stampede Dinner Show***

Is there something that you would do that's NOT on this list? Or something that IS on the list that is just not worth it?

And I've also decided that whether for breakfast or dinner, we'd like to eat at Applewood Farmhouse and Old Mill Restaurant. We might want to do the Mellow Mushroom for pizza one night too. Any other spots you like to stop to eat? What about good fudge :lmao: That's one of those things that I usually buy when on vacation. I like a nice creamy fudge, not that waxy crap. LOL

We've been to the Pigeon Forge area twice, rented a cabin in the mountains each time for a week. And we're thinking about going back in March. So much to see and do there, we love it.

We enjoyed a lot of the things you mentioned, but DH was disappointed in Wonder Works. A lot of the interactive stuff didn't work, but that was several years ago so maybe they've improved the place. Maybe check on Trip Advisor to see what people are saying about it now.

One thing we "just missed" last time we were there, was the Titanic Exhibit. It wasn't open yet (opened just a few days after we left). We've seen the one in Orlando though now, so probably wouldn't go to the Pigeon Forge one when we go back but if that's anything you would be interested in you might want to add that to your list.

Loved the Applewood Farmhouse and Old Mill restaurants, another of our favorites was Huck Finn's and Bennett's BBQ and Corky's BBQ.

We enjoyed the Obergatlinburg ride too, for the views.

looks good, I'm planning on a quick weekend getaway around the 4th of July holiday and the places you mentioned are all places I would tell you to visit. The Titanic exhibit is supposed to be nice, we may check it out as well. Also Dollywood and Splash Country have added new rides since you were there last..they have a water coaster now. We always stop at Mel's Diner our first night there and eat. It's setup to look like a 50's diner complete with jukebox..just basic burgers but they have delicious milkshakes!

Try The Funnel Cake Factory at light #7 by The Old Mill.

We love this area. The Hollywood Star car museum we felt was not worth it, very pricy for only a couple of cars in there, that was several years ago. The Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg is a must, you have to wait to get in but worth every minute of the wait. We love the Mill, but we go around 3 pm for dinner. The menu is still lunch prices, but the same menu as the dinner. If you go online to the Ripley's web site you can buy combo tickets to the Ripley attractions, and Dixie Stampede, and Titanic exhibits. Check it out it is cheaper. Have fun.:cool1:

When we went, the Lumberjack dinner show was not quite open yet. It sounded interesting, but I would want to check reviews first.

We went white water raftng and my son went ziplining. We also spent some time at the outlet mall in Sevierville.

We love this area. The Hollywood Star car museum we felt was not worth it, very pricy for only a couple of cars in there, that was several years ago. The Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg is a must, you have to wait to get in but worth every minute of the wait. We love the Mill, but we go around 3 pm for dinner. The menu is still lunch prices, but the same menu as the dinner. If you go online to the Ripley's web site you can buy combo tickets to the Ripley attractions, and Dixie Stampede, and Titanic exhibits. Check it out it is cheaper. Have fun.:cool1:

UGH! Not what I wanted to hear. :sad2: This is THE ONE thing that my 17yr old keeps talking about. How many cars do you think are in there? I'm assuming when you say "a couple of cars" that there were more than 2. :thumbsup2 So I'm hoping that since you were there, maybe they added in more cars??? Keeping fingers crossed.

We vacationed in that area last year and stayed in Townsend. Everyone's favorite thing we did was renting tubes and floating on the river! Fun for all ages, relaxing and very inexpensive!

Oh forgot to mention..don't do the ski lift thing in Gatlinburg..can't think of the actual name. Big waste of money!!

Maybe 8 to 10 cars. That has been about 4 or 5 years ago. Dh says there is no room to add any more cars, small space on second floor. My dh and ds went in. I did not go in, Dh said when he came out he felt like asking for his money back. In Sevierville there is a muscle car museum that they went to that was cheaper, and a whole lot better. They have done it several times. Hope this helps. My son is also 17 he loves the Muscle car museum, he is into cars.

UGH! Not what I wanted to hear. :sad2: This is THE ONE thing that my 17yr old keeps talking about. How many cars do you think are in there? I'm assuming when you say "a couple of cars" that there were more than 2. :thumbsup2 So I'm hoping that since you were there, maybe they added in more cars??? Keeping fingers crossed.

As totallydisney just said, THIS is the place to go to see cars. The only Ripley thing I visit is the Aquarium. Don't miss that.

Skip the Applebarn & eat at Old Mill twice. Do not miss the Ripley’s Aquarium. You can buy Multi Ripley passes for doing alot of what you want. Might want to add a Moonshine &/or whiskey tasting ;) Be prepared to pay to park everywhere DT.

Kae

We just spent 5 full days in Tennessee. We stayed at the Wilderness in Sevierville. We spent most of time at the University of Tennessee for a competition DS14 was in. We made the same trip in 2010.

This time we went to Wonderworks one afternoon. We spent about 2 1/2 hours there. DS14 really enjoyed it. Everything was working, and it was later in the afternoon so it wasn't very crowded. His favorite thing was a US Army training simulator. You sit in a real Army jeep. If any of your kids like Call of Duty, they will love it. DS and DH did it twice. We were short on time or we would have stayed for the magic show inside Wonderworks - "wonders of Magic". It gets good reviews on trip advisor and is only $14.99. In back they have a tethered hot air balloon - "wonders of flight", but the reviews on that are mixed. I think we would have tried it if we had time.

We did intend on visiting the Muscle Car Museum, but couldn't fit it in since they close early at 6pm.

We did eat at the Applewood Farmhouse. Nice southern experience with friendly service. Huge portions, but for us, the food was ok. DS picked Cici's Pizza Buffet for one meal. We see the commercials for it all the time, but they don't have them around us in Wisconsin. DS was disappointed...he said it tied with Little Caesars for pizza. DH and I thought it wasn't bad for the price...you get what you pay for $5.99 with a coupon for all you can eat. Really its what you would expect.

There are some funny store signs around the area. "Golf and Guns". "Fireworks and Fudge". "Beef Jerky Outlet" - this one DH had to visit!

Last time, we did a car tour of the Smokies. Just picked one and went. It was very nice...just drive and stop, get out take some pictures and drive to the next stop. Weekdays would be less crowded than weekends. In 2010 we ate New Orleans on the River in Sevierville. The food was excellent and the views were absolutely incredible. We intended on going again this trip, but it was closed. Another family in our group asked a worker who said it was going to reopen in about a month, but when I look on Urban Spoon it says permanently closed, so who knows.

Tennessee really is so beautiful and the people are so friendly. We were so happy to have the chance to go back, and hope to once again.

Enjoy your trip!!

Maybe 8 to 10 cars. That has been about 4 or 5 years ago. Dh says there is no room to add any more cars, small space on second floor. My dh and ds went in. I did not go in, Dh said when he came out he felt like asking for his money back. In Sevierville there is a muscle car museum that they went to that was cheaper, and a whole lot better. They have done it several times. Hope this helps. My son is also 17 he loves the Muscle car museum, he is into cars.

Bolding is mine--yes this other one is MUCH better!
Also-at the Old mill--dinner menu/prices start at 4 so if you are seated BEFORE 4 you can still get lunch menu/prices. Many of the items are the same but on dinner you can also get steak, prime rib, several seafood options. On dinner menu the salad, chowder, and dessert is included whereas at lunch only chowder is included.
The Titanic exhibit is great. You can book your boarding pass online before you come which is a great idea because sometimes when you get there you are given a time a few hours later to come back. (they only let in a certain amount at a time to make it a better time for you). Another poster said they'd been to the one somewhere else so they wouldn't need to go to this one. The artifacts are DIFFERENT at each one. They also will rotate artifacts so that if you are back in town a year or so later you will get different ones.

We also are planning a trip for 5-6 days. Our list is not as extensive as yours. And not necessarily in this order.

Wonderworks
Magiquest
hatfield and McCoy dinner show
Dollywood
clingman's dome
cades cove

That's all we have on our must do list. We will fill in the gaps with spontanaeity. Enjoy your trip. It's such a beautiful place and the hospitality is equally as nice. The only downside is the traffic and the crowds.

We are staying in a cabin outside of Pigeon forge.

We were there spring break 2012, stayed in a cabin in the greenbriar area outside of gatlinburg. We spent time in the park, went ziplining (fun!), went to Ripley's aquarium, the haunted house, and Believe it or not. The Ripley's things were fun, but not to be repeated.

A previous visit had us staying at the KOA in Cherokee. We spent a considerable amount of time in the park on that trip. that was the waterfall experience, we went to as many as we could.

Each trip is different, and each trip has been a thoroughly enjoyable way to spend time together as a family.

I hope you enjoy your trip to the garden spot of the world!

And I've also decided that whether for breakfast or dinner, we'd like to eat at Applewood Farmhouse and Old Mill Restaurant. We might want to do the Mellow Mushroom for pizza one night too. Any other spots you like to stop to eat? What about good fudge :lmao: That's one of those things that I usually buy when on vacation. I like a nice creamy fudge, not that waxy crap. LOL

Applewood Farmhouse and Old Mill were two of our favorite restaurants when we visited in April. We also went to Mama's Farmhouse for breakfast one morning, and it was delicious! All you can eat, served family style.

We didn't do a lot of the things on your list because our DS is only 2.5 and we didn't think he'd get a lot out of those activities. But we did enjoy horseback riding at Waldens Creek Stables. And we had great time exploring Cade's Cove, I only wish we could have stayed longer but DS still naps so we only got a morning out of it. I think his favorite thing the whole week though was Dixie Stampede...A month an a half later, he still talks about the "horsey show"! Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter