How's Disney in late August?

CindiF

Earning My Ears
I'm thinking about the last week in August because I know it's a bit less crowded than the rest of the summer. But I know it's also hurricane season. What are the chances we're going to have lousy weather? Is it anymore hot and humid than the rest of the summer? Are the crowds smaller enough to make it worth it to take a chance with the weather?

We haven't been to Disney for 5 years and the only time we can go is the summer, from mid-June through August. Is there any other time during the summer where it's better to go?

It's still HOT but the crowds do decrease a bit. Hurricanes are unpredictable, I'd say you've got a less than 5% chance historically seeing a hurricane during your week. You will see a thunder storm almost every afternoon between 2-6pm, they last ten minutes th four hours.

I'm thinking about the last week in August because I know it's a bit less crowded than the rest of the summer. But I know it's also hurricane season. What are the chances we're going to have lousy weather? Is it anymore hot and humid than the rest of the summer? Are the crowds smaller enough to make it worth it to take a chance with the weather?

It will be hot. It will be humid. And it will be raining. I can't speak about the crowds because I tend to stay away from the parks in the summer.

What would you say is the average waiting time in late August? I was just reading the thread about Christmas week and the 2-3 hour waiting times horrified me! It's not that bad in the summer, is it?

We have gone the last week in August the past two years and both times it was awesome. It was just as hot there as it was at home,but the crowds were so small that we were always nice and cool on a ride. We were able to get onto a ride and get right back on without waiting in a line. We will not hesitate going this week at all.

Both years we were lucky with the weather, not much rain at all.

we went the last week of August last year and it was awesome! The wait time was 10 to 30 minutes for most rides except for midday waits on some of the bigger rides like EE, Soarin', Test Track, Rock n' Rollercoaster,,,, My boyfriend and I got to the parks early to get in what we could before it got too hot, luckily the only day it rained in the afternoon we were on a tour, but the rain itself didn't last more than 30 minutes, which wasn't bad. The waterparks got fairly busy by midday and sometimes transportation was slow.
Overall we really enjoyed ourselves, and are planning on going to the first week of September this year!

We went in June and August last year and June was hotter to me. I really enjoyed going in late August (22-25)and it was the week before Free dining and there was no crowd at all. Early June was much more crowded. Now, crowds were coming as we were leaving, but I am sure that was for the start of free dining. I hope to go again at that time again this year to celebrate DH's 30th birthday. It only rained one day and that was the evening of Aug 24 and washed out the Pirate and Pricess Party for us. It rained more in June than August.
Suzanne princess:

We went last year on Aug 24th-30th. We had quite a few rain storms. The one night it rained so bad at DTD our shoes were floating away. It was really bad!! Crowds seemed heavier than people are reporting, but we could have been at different parks/different days. We would hit a park about 9 and have lunch there. Go back to the resort and swim until the afternoon rain.
The pool was crowded!! It was hot, but we were fine. I have 3 kids and they did ok as well. You just have to pace yourself and drink lots of water.
Have fun. It will get much more crowded as free diners arrive...

Just my personal opinion but if there was free dining the last week of August I would not go that week - we went the last week in August 2007 because of free dining and I hate to say I didn't enjoy my trip because of the crowds -I've also gone at spring break when it was very crowded and I would much rather do that - at least you're not dealing with extreme heat and crowds at the same time.

We went the last two years the last week of August for Free Dining and loved it. In 2006 we never waited for any rides and never had to use Fast Pass. We almost got a hurricane in 2006, but it ended up just raining a 1/2 day. It seemed more crowded in 2007, but still great. We were able to walk on most rides and maybe waited 15 mins for some of the coaster rides. It is hot and humid and it rained every night. The pools weren't that much of a relief because they were too warm. I would go again the end of August, especially with Free Dining.

Hotter/more humid than the hinges of (you know where)!!!!!! I have been to WDW three times now in August. Last year we arrived on Aug 5-10. It was so hot that in all those days, my dd and I only did 10 attractions at the four parks. We happily rode Crush 'n Gusher 4 times though....I don't count that in my count. It was just too brutally hot to be on pavement. I believe the heat index in Orlando one day was 110!!! But, to be fair, they were having a heat wave.
I have been there for hurricanes...not a big deal at all. It did get very rainy and humid, but it's August in Florida!!

We were there the 24 thru 30 and while it was during the first week of "free dining", we did not think it too bad. There were crowds, but mostly at meal times. The resturants were bursting! We had no really long waits for any of the rides longer than 30 minutes. I think this was great, considering 2 hour waits during Spring Break!

The weather was HOT! It rained nearly everyday, and one day when we were at Epcot, it rained right up till time for Illuminations and then it stopped till almost the end!

I would not hesitate to go back again at this time of year. In fact, I am in the process of planning a trip this August!:cool1:

This year free dining doesn't start until August 30th. I'm an August attendee, and I like August. It's just as hot and humid at home, why not be at Disney? Less crowded because a lot of kids start school in late August. Also, a big plus, the deluxe resorts are in value season (starting July 25th).

We have been to WDW in August 4 times. Yes, the heat is brutal, depending on where you come from. There's pacing, and water and more water. I've never been worried about hurricanes and love the tropical downpours.

Crowds have been manageable - we don't do long lines, but the last few years it's more crowded and less of an "off season".

We "got out" this past August before "free" dining started because I didn't want to deal. It was, however, reportedly the hottest August in Florida in many years and also the longest period of days w/o rain! And when it let loose - WOWEE! - all the PP's are accurate!

In fact, it was soooo uncomfortable that I decided right then and there to come back in January for DS's 16th birthday!! We leave in..17 days!!!!:banana:

Was there 8-22 to 8-30...

1st summer visit......HOT, HOT, HOT, HUMID, HUMID, HUMID.
Spent a lot of time in the pool....Epcot has a lot of indoor stuff....which
was a blessing....
If I was going in the summer again.....I would do mostly water parks...
Just to hot to enjoy anything outside for too long.
My DD5 was telling me her eyeballs were sweating:lmao:
Kerri

Has free dining for 2008 been announced? I heard a rumor it was going to be offered the last two weeks of August.

Have been in July (4-12) and it was VERY HOT and VERY CROWDED! Went last Aug 21-29 and both DH and I felt crowds were much more manageable. Yes it's HOT, yes you have to plan, take breaks, drink, drink, drink. But, I find a lot of attractions are indoors so you only have to deal with the heat walking to and from. Just plan on doing parades, outdoor shows and such at night. We don't do afternoon parades. The one thing we did do last year was wait 40 min for HS Musical. It was PURE TORTURE. I thought I would pass out. It was waiting in front of the hat at MGM on the blacktop without a lick of shade. Never again.
We are returning in Aug 19-26 this year, cause summer is all we can do/afford right now. The airlines to FL from NJ are great in the summer and the value season means we can stay deluxe. Plus, kids are in MS/HS and can't pull them out anymore.
My advice. Eat a light breakfast at your hotel, plan on at least one table service meal per day. Believe me you will need the break. We do one of two plans per day. Either get to the park at opening and be sipping drinks poolside by 2pm. Or we do a water activity during the day and hit the parks at night. Again, I can do this because my DD's are 12 and 14. Last year my DH and DD14 did MGM until close and then took the boat over to Epcot for EMH until 1am!! No crowds, cooler weather.
Either way, I say last week of August beats the rest of the summer hands down.
One more note...the rain. You do need a back up plan. We were at DTD for BBB last year before a PP party. It POURED. DTD was FLOODED. My girls were all "done up" for PP. We hailed a cab to get to MK cause I didn't want to wait for bus. The PP was miserable. It rained until 10pm. We asked at Guest Relations and they let us come back another night cause most of the attractions were cancelled or shut down. While the 1 hour showers in late afternoon are a welcome relief - 6-8 hours of pouring rain can put a damper. Be flexible and creative.
HAVE FUN - and maybe I'll see you there!

We went to Disney the 3rd week in August 2 years ago. Prior trips were in October, November, Jan, Feb, and March.

August was extremely hot and humid and without a doubt much more crowded than any other of the times we have visited. He heat really drained my wife.

I would say unless you are pretty well conditioned and do not mind crowds to consider that time frame. My wife will never go do disney in August again.

My daughter and I 'might' try that time frame again, but I'd have to be geting a pretty good deal to do so. Much better to do fall, winter, or spring!

We went to Disney the 3rd week in August 2 years ago. Prior trips were in October, November, Jan, Feb, and March.

August was extremely hot and humid and without a doubt much more crowded than any other of the times we have visited. The heat really drained my wife.

I would say unless you are pretty well conditioned and do not mind crowds to consider that time frame. My wife will never go do disney in August again.

Wait times for certain rides were nearly two hours long. I've gotten spoiled wth wait times on prior visits and would not make the rides a focal point of an August visit.

My daughter and I 'might' try that time frame again, but I'd have to be getting a pretty good deal to do so. Much better to do fall, winter, or spring!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter