Howling Dog-Site Recommendations? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

momwdd

Earning My Ears
Hi everybody,

My rotten chihuahua has many bad habits-one of which is her incessant howling when left alone. We are coming to FW in Feburary, 2013-we don't want to bother any other Happy Campers!

It's OK to be far away from the action because we will rent a golf cart to get to and from the settlement, etc. This will be the first time we have ever camped in our lives, any recommendations about anything would be helpful!

WE ARE CLUELESS! :confused3

Thanks so much mouseketeers!! So excited!!

This post was so unusual I HAD to look!

There are more experienced here but I would suggest asking that the howler ( bless its heart :-)) be noted on your ressies. Also fax in to FW about a week to ten before and make a request again on check in. I'm sure your thoughtfulness will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tented1!

I should have specified that we will be in an RV.

Loop 1500 seems to be away from the action...I wonder if that would work.

There are no site without neighbors. It would not be right to ask others to endure the howling. We always travel with our dog but would not if he was a bother to others. The Best Friends Kennel is just down the road from the Fort. It's expensive but handy.

This may sound harsh, but as a fellow dog owner, please leave the howler at home or boarding! The sites are NOT so far apart that the howling would be extremely upsetting to anyone near you, possible far from you as well. I would think you plan on being in the parks during much of the day, do you really want the dog in your camper howling for hours? It would just be a bad situation for you, your dog and the campers around you.

The 3000 loop? Joking! There's nowhere you can camp at the Fort where a howling dog wouldn't drive your neighbors bonkers, even if it's in an RV The sites are close together no matter which loop you're in.

I knew there was a reason why I should never camp!

photogal-I've done research before now...very funny Loop 3000.

Wow, y'all know how to make a family feel welcome.

Does she howl at home too? Maybe you can check with your vet about some "doggie downers" to help the little gal with her separation issues, and have time to test them out for how long it takes to start to kick in, and how long the effect lasts BEFORE your trip.

Once you get to FW, you'll know what how much lead time you need to dose her, and what time you need to be back by to prevent disturbing the neighborhood when the effects taper off.

Gotta agree, there are no sites that are not very close to others!

It's a chihuahua in an RV. Now I've got a cur that weighs 90 - 100 lbs and when he howls it is LOUD! Besides as stated aren't most people in the parks? Also how do you know the dog howls the whole time your away. At 1 point we were going to bring our inside Yorkie and put him at Best Friends Pet Kennel while in the parks and pick him up when at FW.

Also whose to say there might not be an empty site in Feb. that they could put her next to.

At least she had the courtesy to ask. She didn't have to and doesn't have to be accommodating to others except by choice. The Fort allows pets in pet loops. If you are a pet owner and camp in a pet loop that's part of it isn't it? No dogs in the loops ever bark, howl, whine or misbehave?

She asked, and I applaud that. She thinks it may be an issue to her neighbors and wants to proactive, applaud that too.

Maybe there will be an open slot they can put her by, who knows? But what is known is that they will put pet owners in non-pet loops on a regular basis.

I hope she finds a solution and enjoys her visit to FW!

I'm glad you had the courtesy to ask. We have no animals and were recently put in a per friendly loop. Most dogs were phenomenal and I can handle an occasional bark. But we had a dog that sounded like an attack dog behind us. Loud, growling, barking. Ughh. It was awful. I have more of an issue with the fort putting us where they did since we have no pets and weren't even suppose to be in that loop. I'd look into some of the good suggestions on here and see what transpires.

It's a chihuahua in an RV. Now I've got a cur that weighs 90 - 100 lbs and when he howls it is LOUD! Besides as stated aren't most people in the parks? Also how do you know the dog howls the whole time your away. At 1 point we were going to bring our inside Yorkie and put him at Best Friends Pet Kennel while in the parks and pick him up when at FW.

Also whose to say there might not be an empty site in Feb. that they could put her next to.

At least she had the courtesy to ask. She didn't have to and doesn't have to be accommodating to others except by choice. The Fort allows pets in pet loops. If you are a pet owner and camp in a pet loop that's part of it isn't it? No dogs in the loops ever bark, howl, whine or misbehave?
Tented1 for president!!

Have you tried leaving the tv on, so the dog doesn't feel that she is alone? I'm sure she is barking because she hears the noise outside...

I would suggest that you talk to a dog trainer. You have plenty of time to work on the howling issue. There are some fairly simple steps to make your sweetie less stressed when you leave and a good trainer will help. That way she will be less stressed,, you will be less stressed and your trip will be enjoyable for all of you. Your vet should be able to suggest a trainer near you. I have done wonders in just a few short visits with other babies just like yours. Not to say that you can't bring her and let her howl but if you are anything like me you will worry about it all day. Enjoy your trip :)

We have reserved 7 sites right next to each other!!!!:scared1: Will park the RV in the 4th spot, hopefully cushioning our pup's noise from neighbors. As of now, there is only one other RV booked in the loop-away from our site. As usual, Disney CM I spoke to was very helpful.

I just purchased multiple $100 Mickey gift cards to hand out should a neighbor complain. This is costing a fortune...but it's the only way I can grant my little girl's wishes...to stay "in the bubble" and to be able to bring her 4-lb pup with us! (and if my neighbors don't complain, I can use the gift cards to pay for things at the end of our stay!!)

If any neighbors are still unhappy, we will retreat gracefully into a rental house, as usual.

There goes the college fund...just kidding! Kinda...

momwdd said:
We have reserved 7 sites right next to each other!!!!:scared1: Will park the RV in the 4th spot, hopefully cushioning our pup's noise from neighbors. As of now, there is only one other RV booked in the loop-away from our site. As usual, Disney CM I spoke to was very helpful.

I just purchased multiple $100 Mickey gift cards to hand out should a neighbor complain. This is costing a fortune...but it's the only way I can grant my little girl's wishes...to stay "in the bubble" and to be able to bring her 4-lb pup with us! (and if my neighbors don't complain, I can use the gift cards to pay for things at the end of our stay!!)

If any neighbors are still unhappy, we will retreat gracefully into a rental house, as usual.

There goes the college fund...just kidding! Kinda...

Bless your heart! Now if that isn't taking active steps to be a good neighbor I don't know what is!

I hope all your little girls Disney Dreams come true. And, the pup will be a little older by then too. Give it one of her old shoes. Has anyone ever tried owner voice recordings or even a video ? Just a thought.

Hope your trip is magical!

Being in a pet loop does NOT mean that "incessant howling" will need to be an accepted behavior by ANY dog, small or large. Putting up with an occasional bark or two is certainly to be expected, but incessant howling...No thanks! Please be a considerate camper and make plans to put your "barking" pooch in daycare. I know that is what we are making plans to do. On days we are at the park we will put her in daycare and pick her up for the time we are at the Fort. It is a win-win for us, the dog (who gets to play all day) and our neighbors! Yes it is an added cost but one that a responsible dog owner needs to factor in. Just my opinion!;)

Obviously, you didn't read what her resolution is.
Actually I was typing my response at the same time she was giving what you call her "resolution". Tell me, if Disney does not assign sites until the week prior to arrival then how would she get 7 sites all next to one another? And giving $100 gift cards???? Also, there is no way a CM would tell her that there is only 1 site assigned on the next loop, for the same reason as stated above..NO SITES are assigned to loops 2+ months in advance..sorry, it just doesn't happen.:confused3

Check out the loops and sites on google earth or other apps. We like the 900 loop . We ask for a site in the back of the loop, no neighbors behind us, the sites have a lot of foliage between campsites and the loop is small and set off from the main road. We always leave the tv on and a fan to drown out any outside noise. So far, this has worked very well with our little barkers. When I request a site, I always ask for this type of campsite and I'm up front about my dogs and how this type of site will help control nervous barking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter