Howard412's Very Delayed Trip Report

The alarm went off again at 7am in another vain attempt to have us at Animal Kingdom for the 8am EMH, but surprise surprise, that didn't work out. After the boring morning ritual of showers and french toast, we were on the bus at 8.30.

This was our first ever visit to Animal Kingdom. Any of you AK enthusiasts may wish to skip todays report :confused3

We were both very underwhelmed on arrival. The Tree of Life doesn't quite have the mental imagery of The Castle, "Golf Ball" or The Sorcerers Hat.

We walked up through Asia to ride EE first up -

ee.jpg

ee_shrine.jpg

The theming around this ride is really Disney at it's best, but why people want to throw money at the "shrine" is a little beyond me. Almost ruins the effect for me.

As for the ride; pictures tell a thousand words. Videos tell so much more.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFmIwzACbAQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GFmIwzACbAQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

If you were listening carefully, you'd have heard the thousand words. They were all;

WOAHHHH!!

The wait was only 10mins, but posted a 40min wait on the way out so we grabbed a FastPass to come back later.

We wandered into Africa for Kilimanjaro Safaris. Despite the bright sunshine, it was cold and windy, so I don't blame the animals for hiding.

safaris_re.jpg

The front row seat was nice though.

We wanted to do Dinosaur today, and stopped off at It's Tough To Be A Bug on the way. Great show! Very clever and well thought out.

Dinosaur. What can I say... loud, jerky, sponsored very overtly by McDonalds... It's probably one of my least favourite rides on Disney property.

Our FastPass window had now opened, so it was back to EE. So much better and more enjoyable the second time round. FastPass was a god send even on a moderate day like today as the standby queue was now 80mins!

Couldn't resist trying on the Yeti hats on the way out;

stupid_howard_re.jpg

Still being cold and windy, it was a walk on to Kali River Rapids. When we got on the raft, there were some very wet looking folk. Wet clever looking folk. In ponchos. They seemed to laugh at two English guys getting on with just (non-waterproof) light jackets to protect them. Not out loud, but oh yes, they were laughing at us.

Lucky us, the raft spun just as it reached the slide to send us down backwards. The water shot up and over my shoulder and utterly drenched us. The water was freezing! The wet clever folk really were laughing now.

Luckily the bridge by the exit was bathed in beautiful sunshine and was sheltered from the wind, so we stood for 20mins trying to get dry and warm.

We moved off to lunch at Flame Tree Barbeque - both had Smoked Beef sandwiches. All the seating is in the shade, which I'm sure is fantastic in the heat of the summer. Not so much when you are soaking wet. My ankles were attacked by ducks! It appears as if small puddles of water had collected around my feet from my trousers, and the ducks were obviously parched...

While the sandwiches were tasty, they weren't overly filling, so I grabbed a pretzel and some drinks, and stood in the sun on the bridge to Asia in the sunshine.

We eventually decided that wet boxer shorts weren't very conducive to touring theme parks, so it was back to the hotel for just after 1pm. We changed and got straight out to the Marina which was closed due to "Inclement Weather", despite the sun now being out in full force. It was getting a little warmer now.

marina_Re.jpg

We took a walk around the hotel, wildlife spotting (see yesterdays invasion report) and took some photos to prove that we had indeed seen the sun.

Found the table tennis table and I killed some time letting my brother utterly humiliate me until we noticed some boats out on the lake.

We took Sea Raycers out for 30mins to relive our previous visits (Poor Dad had to stump up the $$$ every afternoon!)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hppVbsFU1U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hppVbsFU1U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
speedboats_re.jpg

It was a nice way to get a tan, but now not worth the $50.

Back for more punishment on the Table Tennis Table, and a lie by the pool then back to the room for dinner.

At which point I seemed to have stopped making notes so I'll take a stab in the dark at what happens next.

Grilled Chicken Sandwiches. Lemonade. ESPN. Lemonade. Sleep.

Weather - AM; Cold and Windy. PM; Warm and Windy
Lemonades - 4 each

Tomorrow - Fantasmic!

Thanks for the video of EE. I'm not a thrill ride gal so it's as close as I'll ever get to riding it! Looks very cool though

Many apologies for the lack of updates to this, Real Life seems to have caught up with me recently! Here is a double-dose to make up for it...

Got up at a positively lazy 9am after a good nights sleep. Showered and breakfasted again, uh... lazily, so we arrived at MGM at about 10.30.

First a wander down Sunset to check the waits for RnR and Tot. Tot was at 20mins and there was no visible queue for RNR, so we rode that first. Ended up being a walk on. Went back to TOT, still posting it's 20min wait, but that ended up being a walk on too! Back to RNR to check the wait and get a FP if needed, but with no queue again, we rode it.

I wanted to do The Great Movie ride, so we waited the posted 40mins (including a break down :confused3 )

great_movie_ride_re.jpg

Hijacked by gangsters, who'da thunk it!

Thank goodness for Kerry, saving the day.

gangster_re.jpg

It's been said many a time before, but they really SHOULD update that ride with a few more modern films.

We got out just in time for for 12:45 Indiana Stunt Show

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W3BU7o7g1PE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W3BU7o7g1PE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O_8WctQanNE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O_8WctQanNE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykRG3y3fXio"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykRG3y3fXio" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

After the show, straight into Backlot Express for lunch.
A quick trip to Endor and it was back to the hotel by about 1.30.

Pool-side shenanigans ensued until about 4.30, when we showered off and over to the food court for an early dinner.

We were on the bus back to MGM at about 6ish.

mgm_return_re.jpg

Off to Fantasmic straight away as we didn't know what the crowds were going to be like. Pretty glad we did as even with the cold, it was about 95% full once the show began.

(Not too many photos from tonights show, most of the blurred. I didn't take any video. My brother did, but they're all sideways :confused3 )

fantasmic_1_re.jpg

fantasmic_2_re.jpg

fantasmic_re.jpg

We were back at the hotel by 8.30 to fill up on lemonade. To bed early, in preparation for tomorrows early start!

Weather - Chilly, but not windy like yesterday. Clear skies until later.
Lemonade Count - 5.

:cool1: Tomorrow - SEGWAY!!

While planning for this trip, I read a little about the Segway Tours. When the Birnbaum book came with a 10% voucher in the back, I asked my brother if he'd like to go on it. He thought it was too expensive and didn't want to pay for it. It left me a touch deflated as I REALLY wanted to do it! I spoke to my dad and he generously said he would buy us the Tour for our birthday presents :thumbsup2

Woke up in a panic at 7:17am, as on the ONLY morning we had to get up and get out, noone had set an alarm! Quickly, we showered and breakfasted - the normal french toast!

We were onto the first available Epcot bus at 8:20.

When I booked, I was advised to report to the Guest Relations outside of the park at 8:45, so that everything could be ready for a prompt 9am tour start. Being a good little boy, I did what I was told and approached the Guest Relations outside the park at about 8:45. We were told to queue up with "everyone else", and enter the park at 9am. Despite explaining that our tour is due to begin at 9am, and I was expressly told to be there before, the CM seemed totally uninterested, and repeated his request for us to join the back of the queue and to wait for the park to open then report to Guest Relations on the left of SSE. Seeing the length of the queues at the gates, there was no way we'd be inside the park before 9:15...

Someone upstairs must have been smiling on us though, as just as we were about to join the back of one of the queues, my eagle-eyed brother spotted a CM opening up another gate, so we RAN, and claimed our position at the front of the quickly forming line. We explained that we had to be inside the park about... well nowish, but the CM said there was nothing she could do. We waited the remaining 5mins, and eventually we were one of the first into Epcot that day! We high-tailed it over to Guest Relations where we were a little surprised to see the other members of our tour sat there already... We checked in and were given name badges. We introduced ourselves to the others - A "more mature" local couple with Annual Passes, that stay at the World for a few days at a time a couple of times a month, and a middle aged scottish lady and her father. They had done the tour already in the week! They had a short experience at the stand in Innoventions, and decided to take the tour. It was their last day before flying home, so decided to treat themselves to the tour again. They told us that all tours at Epcot can get immediate entry to the park at the Princess Buffet entrance gate - everyones names are kept there. I have no idea why we weren't informed of this, but I'll know for next time :thumbsup2

In sped Jason on a Segway. We were waiting for another 4 to join us to make the tour up to 10. While waiting, he gave us a quick demonstration of the machine, facts and figures etc. At 9:10, the others had not yet arrived. We set off to the Segway stand at Innoventions. The missing 4 were bumped over to the next tour at 9:30.

We saw a short promotional/Health & Safety video and were equipped with ridiculous looking helmets. Then we met our machines, and Kimmy, our Tour Guide. Kimmy was from Texas, and... well, Beautiful :rotfl: Jason and Kimmy taught us how to mount and dismount the Segways safely, before moving onto rotating on the spot between two cones, then moving forwards and backwards. We split into two groups of three, one group with Jason practicing going up and down a ramp, and one group with Kimmy practicing a slalom course of cones. We were shown Emergency Stops and how to overcome obstacles. Then we were taught the most important move of all on a Segway - Moving and Waving! :cool1:

It was adjudged that we all had enough competence on the Segways to be let loose outside, so we all formed up like Baby Ducklings following Kimmy, and it was time for the outside portion of the tour to begin! We left Innoventions, over to Journey into Imagination for a brief restroom break. It was then onto World Showcase, moving clockwise around the countries. It was really great to see WS completely empty apart from the CM's preparing for the days visitors, hosing the pavements and opening the stalls. Everyone waved, said hello and cheered as we passed them. The first stop was in China for a talk about the "Fu Dogs" and an obstacle course test on the narrow pathways. Onto Germany for a Hidden Mickey hunt and a trip down the Romantic Road to Italy, where we slalomed in and out of the pillars. We stopped for a 15mins of "Free Ride" time in front of Italy, which is a great spot to stop and take photos.

rh_segway_re.jpg

As I approach my brother, you'll see a smirk run across my face. At that exact moment, I was considering running him over.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RbcJD3tJao"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0RbcJD3tJao" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

On with the tour! Onto America, and into Japan for fun over the bridges. We also had stops in Morocco and another Hidden Mickey Hunt in France. Unfortunately it was then time to head back to Segway Central. We move through the light crowds just being let into WS. When we stopped to let people in front of us, everyone got cameras out to take photos and came and asked how we got to ride them. Back at Segway Central, we were awarded Special Edition Segway pins. We said goodbye to everyone; Jason the Segway Guy, Kimmy the beautiful tour guide, and the other 4 on our tour and we departed. Throughout the tour, Kimmy was full of information on the countries as we rode through of passed by them. We learnt about the scrapped Ancient Rome exhibit in Italy, why MGM's Tower of Terror is pink, the architecture in Germany etc etc. I'd advise EVERYONE to look into taking this tour, it really was great fun. It has "repeatability", as just riding the Segways is a great way to pass the morning!

Our legs were a bit stiff and painful after 2 hours standing up, so we stopped for a drink in the sunshine before walking onto MS - it was just us two on the mission, so I took the opportunity to video it :thumbsup2

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6KOaJcPn_dA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6KOaJcPn_dA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

This proved to be quite physically demanding, my arm was aching A LOT with all the G-Forces!

We took a slow tour of WS to have a closer look at the things we had seen in the morning - it was more exciting on the Segways!

canada_r_re.jpg

We left the park at 12:45 and once back at the hotel, changed into shorts and T-shirts for the first time in the holiday! We played table tennis, and had a couple of cookies from the Grab N Go Market with some lemonade for lunch outside. We enjoyed the sun (and cheerleaders) in the pool until about 4, then relaxed until dinner.

dusk_re.jpg

ESPN, lemonades... and another day was done.
Lemonades - a holiday high of 7 (SEVEN!) each today
Weather - Cloudless all day, windy in the AM (glad we took jackets for the Segway), got nice and warm in the afternoon.

Next Up - MGM and Sci Fi Diner!

. . . and finally, two more entertaining installments of your Disney adventures.

I just realized that I must be a bit ADD and have been distracted by the large crowd at the Indiana Jones show. Your video allowed me to focus on the actual stunts, some of which I swear I've not noticed in the half dozen shows I've watched in person.

Thanks especially for the detailed report of the Segway tour. Please, carry on with your trips and reports--and videos.

The segway tour sounds great

Just recently started reading your trip reports and I am really enjoying them. We did the Segway tour last year and agree that it was a lot of fun.

Laur's princess:

Just recently started reading your trip reports and I am really enjoying them.

Laur's princess:

Me too! I am loving reading everyone's trippies as it is giving me lots of ideas for our trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter