How young is too young?

Atrain13

Mouseketeer
My wife and I have a girl who's right now 19 months and we were wondering what's a decent age to first go to Disney world We were thinking that a little after 3 woud be a decent age to take her. Is that tooyoung or is that a good age for week at Disney World?

Last edited:
I've seen babies as young as a few weeks old at WDW so really, no age is too young.

However (your post has a typo and you didn't actually put the age) trips are different at different ages. I'd say until about 4/5 my son doesn't remember anything about his Disney trips (his first one was at 10 months). Before that I was going to WDW because I wanted to go (and therefore he came along) it wasn't so much about what he wanted to do and remember (not that he didn't have fun while we were there and do things that I knew he'd enjoy).

It also depends on whether or not this is a once in a lifetime trip, a once every few years trip or a regular yearly vacation destination.

If it's a several times thing then I definitely thing going before the child turns 3 (so is still free) is worth it, personally.

I've seen babies as young as a few weeks old at WDW so really, no age is too young.

However (your post has a typo and you didn't actually put the age) trips are different at different ages. I'd say until about 4/5 my son doesn't remember anything about his Disney trips (his first one was at 10 months). Before that I was going to WDW because I wanted to go (and therefore he came along) it wasn't so much about what he wanted to do and remember (not that he didn't have fun while we were there and do things that I knew he'd enjoy).

It also depends on whether or not this is a once in a lifetime trip, a once every few years trip or a regular yearly vacation destination.

If it's a several times thing then I definitely thing going before the child turns 3 (so is still free) is worth it, personally.
Agree.
My older son has been to WDW at almost 3, 5, and 9. He has been to DLR at 12 months and 4 years old
My twins went to Disneyworld a few months shy of 3 years old (FREE!) and will go again a few months shy of 4 years old, then we will take a few years off and hopefully go again around 7 years old

As far as memory and enjoyment, I think 5 or 6 is a good age because they are old enough to possibly have some memories later on AND they are still young enough for it to be magical (plus no potty training to worry about, possibly no strollers, but not old enough to really worry about missing school)

I know my older son doesn't really remember the trip when he was 3 and my twins won't remember the trip when they were 3, but they had a blast...and we will remember, grandparents will remember, my older son will remember being with his younger siblings.

There is plenty to do for kids 19 months old.

I would also agree with the prior posters. My children both went to WDW at 9 and 10 months for their first trips. However, we went because DH and I wanted to go. We did things they enjoyed, but the trip wasn't just about the kids. If it were going to do a once in a life time trip, I would probably wait until about age 6. They can do most, if not all, attractions at that point and will remember some of the trip.

If you are going to go several times during childhood, anytime is a great age to go. Each trip is different because the kids can do different things and are in to different things.

I think any age is good if the parents are up to it and especially if you know you'll be back anyway. The Disney experience was designed with families in mind. I think most people that take babies/little ones are the type of people that plan to do more Disney trips in the future anyway; but I do think 4 years old is on average the "magical" age when kids start to get the most out of what the parks have to offer because of height requirements, not really needing naps, being potty trained, and not being fearful of characters. But for families (like mine) that have children of a wide range of ages there truly isn't a perfect age or time to wait for everyone to go on a family Disney trip.

We took DD on her first trip at age 2 years and 10 months, and I think it may be my favorite WDW trip. Everything was real and magical to her and she was so happy the whole week. We took her again when she was 3 and those were great trips too, but that first trip was just terrific because she was totally in awe of everything. I remember her little mouth just dropping open and her eyes lighting up as Spectromagic came down the street. You can wait until she hits 40 inches for the big rides (DD did that at 3), but just because they make the height does not mean they will like or want to go on the thrill rides. DD was not a fan of several of those when she was small. Once they hit kindergarten and definitely by 1st grade, their school mates start enlightening them that things aren't real if they haven't already begun to figure it out on their own. I cherish those 2, 3 and 4 year old trips where she was so thrilled by everything. She was a total character fanatic and her interactions with the characters on those trips was just priceless. We have taken her every year since the first trip and she is 9 now. She still remembers things from that 2 year old trip. I would have thought she would have mixed everything together having been every year, but she can still tell you distinct things from the pre-school trips and how old she was at that time.

I think Disney allows all ages in!:joker: Our first kid trip was when daughter was 2, son 3. That was *the* perfect magical memory time (for us as parents). They'd seen enough Disney films to recognize and be mesmerized by the characters. In fact, my daughter's expression when about to meet Cinderella brought us to tears (her little trembling-with-awe-hands went up to her mouth, eyes wide). Thankfully I had the wits about me to capture that photo because it is one of my favorites. My son met Lightning & Mater and he was just flabbergasted in the best possible way. Just really awesome experiences that we, as parents, will treasure, and the kids love seeing in photos (though my son swears he remembers telling Ariel, in her grotto, "I like your rock!").

What happens is, every age at Disney holds certain memories and magic, which I think is one of the key reasons parents love repeated trips with their children. But for me, that age 2/3 absolutely captured all the awe & magic you see in commercials lol. And I say that as a mom who had no interest in Disney "until the kids are older." So glad I caved that spring!

Edited to add that I could never have gone with babies. I hate lugging extra stuff, we're not stroller users, the meltdowns, gah! I don't know how other moms do it; I give them credit!

Last edited:
For ME less than six months would be hard. I've taken "babies" from 11 mos to 19 mos as their earliest trips (and four in between those ages) and those were great ages. JMO.

Sorry for the typo earlier , she will be a little over 3. Is there plenty that someone that age can do? Dumb question I'm sure , but I figured I should ask. Thank you!

Sorry for the typo earlier , she will be a little over 3. Is there plenty that someone that age can do? Dumb question I'm sure , but I figured I should ask. Thank you!
Three is plenty. A great age. Have fun planning!!!

I don't think "too young" is a thing for Disney World, but you should think about what you want out of the trip. Do you want her to remember a lot of it? Think 6 or older. Do you want her to be in prime-Princess mode? 3-5 is great for that. Are you going to go back often? Any age is great for a first trip in that case.

We didn't realize we were going to become repeat visitors, so we waited until DD was 8 and planned a "once in a lifetime" trip. It was actually a fabulous age. She was able to go all-day, every-day. She still loved Princesses, and she wanted to ride everything. If I had another little one now though, I would just go when I wanted to go.

My sister was almost 4 and I was almost 9 the first time we went, and we have a lot of great memories! While I would have liked to have gone earlier for me, both of us have friends who were taken as babies and while there are pictures of them, they don't have first-hand memories and several have commented that they are jealous we have actual memories and wish their parents had waited.

But I think around 3 seems perfect.

My wife and I went many many times and years prior to us having kids. We always said, 7 was a good age.

Well of course, we couldn't stay away and took our daughter at age 18 months. Though she remembers nothing of that trip, we have the priceless videos of her being scared to death of mickey mouse, but over joyed at the sight of "GOOSEY".

Our second daughter we took at 9 months. yeah, that was a bit of a pain.

some place around 2, just so you as parents can enjoy your child as the explore and experience things.

My wife and I have a girl who's right now 19 months and we were wondering what's a decent age to first go to Disney world We were thinking that a little after 3 woud be a decent age to take her. Is that tooyoung or is that a good age for week at Disney World?

I think it all depends, just as others have said. If this is going to be a once in a life time thing - then I would wait until she's older, and in the "gaga over Disney fantasy" stage. But if you foresee yourself being able to return again, then I would say just before she turns 3 would be great - there'll be a fair amount of things for her to do, she'll be more aware, AND, she'll still be free.

Several of the planning web sites like **************.net suggest not going until about 7. However, I always hoped that (life permitting) we'd be semi-regular visitors and we chose just prior to age 3 for each child's first trip. Still free and they enjoyed tons of things! We did have to go at a slow pace and deal with potty training a lot, though. For about a year after those trips, the kids remembered plenty and told others details of our trip. The specifics have faded over time, but photos and shared stories mean they say they still remember bits of the trip.

I really think it depends on your child's personality. Our three year old loved meeting the characters and riding the Barnstormer, but was scared of any attraction that was dark and/or loud (Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Living with the Land, etc.). She screamed through most of these attractions. We had no idea how she would react until we were actually there and her reactions didn't improve through the week. She was clearly too young. We didn't return to WDW for four years. When she was seven she was still frightened by Haunted Mansion, but by then she was leading the way with a park map in her hand! I would recommend waiting a little longer, but you know your child best and she may love the experience at three.

I really think it depends on your child's personality. Our three year old loved meeting the characters and riding the Barnstormer, but was scared of any attraction that was dark and/or loud (Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Living with the Land, etc.). She screamed through most of these attractions. We had no idea how she would react until we were actually there and her reactions didn't improve through the week. She was clearly too young. We didn't return to WDW for four years. When she was seven she was still frightened by Haunted Mansion, but by then she was leading the way with a park map in her hand! I would recommend waiting a little longer, but you know your child best and she may love the experience at three.

I was just about to edit my post for considerations like this. Last trip, my 2.5 nephew went and at home he was terrified of most characters (like Santa, bunny, costumed characters at our children's museum), didn't even like the carousel or mini train at our mall, detested being made to stay in one spot for shows and his parents weren't willing to adjust their day to accommodate naps for him. In my opinion, his trip was terrible! (Although his parents were exhausted and complained a lot on the trip, I am shocked to say they can't wait to go again?!)

Definitely a lot depends on your willingness to go slow and whether your child seems to like the "kid-friendly" things there like shows, characters, dark rides, carousel, kiddie coasters, etc.

We took DGD at 17 months to WDW and 2 1/2 o DLR.
She loved it both times.....but the trips were definitely about her.

Yes.

I suppose the answer to your question depends on what YOU expect FOR her. Any child old enough to experience sound, color, and fragrance will experience the sensory stimulation of WDW. They will know the vibrancy of the colors on Main St, the smell of fresh popcorn, the sound of fireworks.

As to what she can't do, it depends on her height, not her age. Multiple rides have a height cut-off that fall in the 2-4 year old range. Even supposing your child is short, you could easily spend a full week just seeing characters, eating table service meals, and swimming at your resort - and never even see one of the many shows, parades or, ride one of the many attractions she'd be tall enough to ride!

Just off the top...one place for all ages is The Seas in Epcot. There is a Nemo ride, a show where children are invited to ask Crush the sea turtle questions, and many live animals to see! Plus, no surprise, a small gift shop. Groups of all ages can easily spend over an hour in that one pavilion!

I've been with kids of all ages, and they all benefitted. I can also say, of places you could take a young child, WDW is among the most kid-friendly destination of all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter