How young is too young for a baby? *Update*

Honestly, that is way too young to take a baby to WDW during August heat. I took my daughter when she was 12 months old in the end of July and she was miserable from the heat. She cried so much that cast members came over to me to take her to first aid. At first aid, they wanted to call an ambulance! I was hysterical because I was like what do you think is wrong with her? Well mother knows best and it turned out, that she was insanely hot. I had to strip her down to just a diaper and get stroller fans. She calmed down but cast members were passing comments to get that baby out of the sun. And August is extremely hot. Your baby will not be comfortable at all, which will make you and your husband uncomfortable which will ruin your vacation.

Not to mention, you have no idea how your baby will be. My daughter had acid reflux, colic and had to be put on special formula. I would wait to see how you feel after the baby is born and how the baby is.

How do you know the baby will be 5-6 weeks? I am assuming you are not pregnant because you say you are trying for a baby? You may be pregnant by Aug or you may not. Would you want to travel at 7, 8, 9 months pregnant?

I noticed that too. Positive thinking?! :confused3 It happens easily for some so I just gave advice on what was asked ;).

Don't put your life on hold for a baby that hasn't been conceived yet, much less carried to term. You can always cancel the trip. I wouldn't buy non-refundable airfare if I was trying - at least, not until 90 days out when I knew as best as I could.

ITA. Been there, done that, dont make my mistake. TTC doesnt always go as planned.

Heres my take. DS is 7 weeks old. I'd give my right arm to be at wdw right now, the only thing that made m keep the trip in Dec is that DH and I want to see the Christmas festivities. (I am dying to do thw F&W!!)

I'm more than back to my normal self. I had a repeat c-section, and DS was just shy of 10 lbs. He was born on a Wednesday, we were shopping at Target on Sunday! I dont think I'm the norm on this though.

Because of the heat ~ heck no! We visited last early Oct. and it was miserably hot & humid ~ for those that say "We live here so it is what it is" are you outside, walking all day everyday or are you relaxing in your air conditioned homes?? Why Aug? How 'bout a visit late fall..... I'd wait till baby was sleeping better *hopefully through the night* but not yet mobile, once they starting crawling, pulling them selves up, walking they aren't as content in the stroller or being "worn" - I couldn't imagine "wearing" a baby in a sling, Baby Bjorn *those really aren't that great for your little ones* in the FL summer heat.

But... you aren't even pregnant.... Best of luck with that :wizard:

We took our son when he was 2.5 weeks this past mid-August for a long weekend. (My husband had a convention in Orlando and was going to go with or without us, which was fine by me.) We don't live far from WDW, so we're used to the heat and humidity. Also, because we live close, we don't ever feel the need to go all commando at the parks/resorts.

That said, I did not take him into the parks even though we have APs - I didn't want to risk it. We hung out at the resort and walked around during the day, went to and from the room to nap and eat as needed. I took him to Downtown Disney, too. When DH came back, we'd have a table service meal and then grab a drink at the pool bar to relax and the baby slept through it all.

It was a great weekend and I'd do it again. In fact, we are - again at 3 months and again at 6 months. :thumbsup2

There are issues for both you and the baby. Obvious one for the baby is the heat. But with you, there could be so many unexpected issues.

Not to say this could happen to you but here is my story....

3rd child born 7/09. Unplanned VBAC with no epidural (she came so quick I almost had her on the LR floor). About 2-3 weeks after I had her, I had a pain in my rear end. Progressively got worse. Started spiking high fevers. Got to the point I couldn't walk. 5 weeks post partum I was hours away from dying from a pregnancy related DVT. Had I gotten on a plane, I most certainly would have died. Was in ICU for 2 weeks.

Granted, this is worst case scenario. But every pregnancy is different and ya never know how anything is going to go. What if you don't get pregnant right away?? Do you want to travel and visit WDW pregnant?? Just something else to think about.

Not saying to put your life on hold. Far from it. After nearly dying last year, I am trying to live my life to its fullest. But sometimes you need to be practical too. KWIM??

Good luck on whatever decision you make.

We brought our DS for the first time at 12 weeks, and he ended up getting sick :( and he and I flew home a day early. I had a c-section too, and complications afterward, and we went shortly after I got the all-clear from my OBGYN; it was a short trip and last minute and was that break that I needed even though it didn't end so well.
That being said, I've seen very, very young babies at the parks, definitely younger than my almost 3 month old, but I have no idea how far people traveled to get there....I think it makes a huge difference if you live in the area and head over versus planning flights. If there's ever a second one for us, I'm not sure if we'd go as early as 12 weeks....we went again when DS was 4.5 months, right before I went back to work, and we had a terrific time...it was also February, and mild temps so that helps too.

I also went twice while I was pregnant, at about 16 weeks, and 21 weeks. We talked about going again for a long weekend in July when I would have been about 28 week, and had the OK from my dr., but being that pregnant and summertime heat and humidity and my super slow pace had us skip it.

It can be tough to try to plan trips around TTC and what a baby might or might not be like, or planning trips while you're pregnant when you don't know how the pregnancy might be going...

Here's a better idea- go soon and conceive your child at WDW-more fun,and you'll enjoy your trip a whole lot more.You will probably have ZERO interest in WDW with a tiny one-if you feel like lugging a carseat into the grocery at that age,you'd be lucky.;)

My rule is they have to be potty trained before I bring them. It's a very different vacation with a baby and as much as you want to spend time with them, it tends to interfer with you being able to do what you want. It has been done, but I would not do it.

I would not take an infant to Disney. For all the reasons already mentioned. They don't get shots until they are 2 months old, so they have no protection from germs.

I'd wait until they can really enjoy it.

I would have said "Yes, go!" with my first 2 kids. Then I had my third. And no way would it have been enjoyable at all! Not because I now have 3 kids, but because the 3rd one was way, way hard as a newborn. She had severe reflux, which was accompanied by a solid month of nonstop crying (until we figured out it was reflux), projectile vomiting, no sleep, well, it was just miserable. So we started on meds at 1 month, but the 1st med didn't work. So we tried a 2nd one. Then we learned that me eating dairy products made her reflux worse (I'm breastfeeding). Then we added nuts to that list. And I've done it twice before so I thought I knew what I was doing!!

Also, #3 was a surprise c-section, so the recovery was totally not what I had been expecting at all.

I don't worry so much about the germ aspect though. Don't get me wrong, I know germs exist, but having 3 kids, my baby is exposed to tons of germs everyday at home. We took this one to AZ (we lived in DC) when she was just about 2 months old because we were moving here and needed to find a home. My son also went to AZ at just under 2 months old because we were attending a convention. So I have no issues flying with them otherwise travelling.

So after having her, I would say don't plan on it. If it happens, then great, but I would wait till the baby is older, or go before you have one.

IMHO I wouldnt take a newborn out to a theme park till min 2months (yes I knows its 2wks diff), but more likely till 6months. Main reason is you will be lacking in sleep, soooo many germs for those little bodies in the parks, and honestly I didnt feel like getting up and about till almost 2.5months for long periods of time (then again that was probably because my kids didnt sleep at all at night).

Not all babies travel well. One of our children had sensory issues and any little bump in his routine caused misery. He screamed his way through the first three months just learning to deal with varying ceiling heights and light fixures. There's NO WAY I could have done a WDW trip with him.

My other baby could have gone no problem, but I would not have planned a trip with him until I met him!

I personally wouldn't do it especially Florida in August :scared1: A healthy adult can get overheated at a drop of a dime if not careful. I mean WDW will be there. Also, if you know your body and will defineately be on this projected newborn time line. I would consider adjusting my travel dates say maybe another month or 4wks. :confused3 At least the little pumpkin will have had his/her first major round of shots by then :thumbsup2

No way. You just don't know what the baby will be like. If he or she is colicky or has health issues or is a not so good sleeper, life will be miserable.

My DS turned seven weeks old today. He was a healthy, full term baby, and I did not have a c-section. But I did have a 3rd degree tear AND a large episiotomy that was MUCH harder to recover from than I ever anticipated. (People don't tell you about this stuff. They should, so I am.) It's literally only been the past few DAYS that I've started feeling like our lives are getting some semblance of normalcy, that everything isn't totally overwhelming, that the CONSTANT crying is starting to abate just a little bit (his and mine, :rotfl:). If things keep getting better (knock on wood), maybe I would say two months at the earliest, but definitely not in August when the heat is full force.

We have a trip planned for five months old. My understanding is most babies are reliably sleeping through the night at that age (especially if you're not breastfeeding--I just stopped) but are not old enough to trying to get out of the stroller and trying to crawl everywhere. Plus, it will be February--the coolest time of year.

We have a trip planned for five months old. My understanding is most babies are reliably sleeping through the night at that age (especially if you're not breastfeeding--I just stopped)

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

(Oh, did I laugh out loud? I'm sorry, that was supposed to stay inside my head.).

My kids didn't sleep reliably through the night until they were three. With two of them, I'd get one full night sleep out of seven after the youngest turned about nine months - for the next two plus years.

Like the episotomy and tear no one tells you about, no one tells you that "sleep through the night" happens to some kids - but not mine.

My son had night terrors - that was fun. My daughter was five or six before she stopped the middle of the night visit to mom (and even now - she is eleven - she's been in our room twice in the middle of the night with "I can't fall back asleep" or "I had a bad dream" in the past month).

My you have better luck than I did.

, it tends to interfer with you being able to do what you want. It has been done, but I would not do it.

Lol, this makes me laugh because my 4 year old is a lot more opinionated now as to what HE wants to do then when he was 5 months old, he had no choice but to do what we wanted him to back then :)

We took DS at 12 weeks and it was easy-peasy (he was waking only once a night to feed and was a dream baby).

But there is no way I would go at 5 weeks. I was still a mess physically at that stage let alone worrying about DS.

If I was local and was just going for an afternoon sure but I would not plan a week long vacation at that point.

No way would I. With my 3rd I was blindsided with postpartum depression at 5 weeks really really bad. You just don't know how you will be or the baby. I spent the next few months in and out of doctors offices between me and the baby. Not saying this will happen to you just that early on everyone is adjusting.

Maybe just plan your trip then start trying to conceive as the trip gets closer. I've been to WDW pregnant 3 times and had a wonderful time. I wouldn't however bring a newborn to WDW. 5 weeks is still such an adjustment time for the baby.

I am from the UK so obviously a little further to travel than most. I delivered my third child, a little girl, (I also had 2 boys at the time) she weighed 11 lbs 8 and half oz and 6 weeks later we left for a three week holiday to Disney. I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat. I had the added help of both my parents who travelled with us. Beth was sleeping through the night by then anyways and I had recovered great. Both myself and Beth had been checked over and were fit to travel. Beth breastfed great and was very placid, calm and totally relaxed throughout. We all had an absolutely fantastic holiday. I now have 6 children and have continued to travel to Disney for 3 weeks every year. Just one little tip:- make sure you buy a fan for your buggy and keep your little one nice and cool. Hopefully, if you decide to go you will have as great a time as we all had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter