How would you make DCL even better?

Re: Castaway Cay....almost paradise! A friend heard that Disney is considering a hotel there.....personally, I hope not. It would not be so special to cruisers to know that somewhere on the island is a hoard of people on "their private island". However, I got a chance to speak to a CM at Serenity Bay for quite a while. I mentioned that I'd rather be docked at CC for a couple days rather than some of the islands. She said they the are looking at options right now, but every evening around 5pm, the bugs come out for a few hours and feast....really bad. My suggestion....Dock at CC for 2 days, once maybe going to the bahamas/caribean, and once coming back. I don't believe that if they dock for 2 days in a row, that they will be able to "make" people leave before the bugs emerge.
My other suggestion I've already posted...at CC, in the snorkeling area, have fish food available at one of the lifeguard stands. Royal Carribean does this, and you see an amazing amount of fish...too many to possibly count. It's a real thrill to be entirely surrounded by fish!
Just my two cents!

On our 7-day cruise last year, we spent the extra money for a verandah. The only trouble was that our next door neighbors were chain smokers who spent what seemed like the entire cruise out on their verandah smoking cigarettes. So instead of being able to enjoy some fresh sea-air out on our verandah, all we could smell was "fresh" Salem-air! Perhaps they could limit smokers' staterooms to one side of the ship or the other. Even when we closed our sliding door, the smoke still seeped in. Their cabin was forward of ours, so the "wind" from the forward motion of the ship brought the smoke right in our direction.

If you can't smoke in an open air sports stadium except in certain places (or at the MK for that matter), why not limit where you can smoke on a cruise ship?

"For the comfort and safety of our guests, no smoking please. Thank you." Announcement on the Epcot Monorail.

You gotta allow teens 15 or better access to adult pool. There isn't much for 15-18 yo to do. Maybe some specific activities for this age group that don't require "joining" up with the common ground in order to join in. Cooking or ceramics come to mind. My daughter was a little bored at times this last trip.

Brenner965. If the room was designated non-smoking then you should have reported this ilegal activity. The verandha is considered part of the room in that beautifull ship and not the patio of your condo. Period. We witnessed a similar complaint from another passanger (from a very upset grandmother). I think the offending party was suggested to continue smoking somewhere in deck 9.

Originally posted by fl
Brenner965. If the room was designated non-smoking then you should have reported this ilegal activity. The verandha is considered part of the room in that beautifull ship and not the patio of your condo. Period. We witnessed a similar complaint from another passanger (from a very upset grandmother). I think the offending party was suggested to continue smoking somewhere in deck 9.

While I personally would prefer that DCL was 100% non-smoking, smoking on all verandahs is OK by DCL rules. The rules on DCL allow for smoking on: Open Decks, Verandahs, and a couple of the clubs. Smoking is not allowed in ANY staterooms, restaurants, theaters, etc.

How about lectures by experts on things like the history/flora/fauna of the Bahamas? Or on Bahamian music/cooking? I would attend "classes" at sea!

(BTW, I also learned to draw Mickey, and have taught it to many of the kids I work with. It's a blast!)

RickW. Before we interchange any further comments that our much appreciated moderator would not agree with; I think that at some point, you have to draw the line regarding abusing smoking in the verandhas. I am not a smoker. Never had it. Never will. I would not be bother by the ocassional smoker type of people who usually have a cigarrete after a meal. But, I will definetely be bothered with an ongoing thing like the one posted by Brenner965: "Even when we closed our sliding door, the smoke still seeped in.." The rules you mention are only described in the brochure Term and Conditions section and are not mentioned again in any other legal document: travel booklet and Passport to the Magic (or Wonder). Personally, I would have complained loud and clear for this (or any other type of abusive behaviour from the part of any passenger or the crew).

What about on the new ship, they make one side smoking and the other non-smoking. That way everyone is covered. My DD is very allergic to smoke. If she goes in a house where there has been a smoker her face puffs up and she can't breathe.
I would think that this would be a reasonable solution-

fl, While I would also prefer no-smoking on the verandah's there are ashtrays built in on the navigator verandah's. We had people smoking next to us and asked a crew member if they were allowed to smoke out there. We were told yes. I agree with callahanjulie10 make one side smoking the other non-smoking. That way everyone wins.

I wish DCL would provide one or more pleasant, well-ventilated interior smoking lounges and specific, designated outdoor smoking areas -- and otherwise eliminate smoking. In other words, make it possible for smokers to enjoy smoking, while not subjecting others to the smoke.

By allowing smoking in all ourdoor areas, DCL puts both smokers and non-smokers in awkward position.

Currently, if someone lights up at a deck chair next to mine, I have three choices:
  • I can ask the smoker to stop, even though he/she is smoking in an area where smoking is currently officially allowed;
  • I can get up and move, giving up my location and possibly finding that all other chairs are spoken for;
  • I can stay and breath smoke.
Those aren't good choices. And if I ask the smoker to stop, the smoker can unhappily put out his/her cigarette, or can ignore me, or can try to move to another location where he/she might face the same request to stop from someone else. Those aren't good choices for the smoker either.

I hope that the verandah on our upcoming cruise is far away from any verandah where someone is smoking. I'll be very disappointed if we can't use our expensive verandah.

Banning smoking entirely is probably unrealistic, except for a very large cruise line such as Carnival which has one ship that's 100% smoke free. But DCL can do more than they're doing now when it comes to providing clean air for non-smokers and places where smokers can "enjoy" their habit.

Pocahontas made VERY good suggestions.
Lemonade and fruit punch AND iced tea at the drink station.
A better "soda" program.
Scoops - 24 hrs. - YES!
midnight buffets (11:00 pm would be better)
We also dream of being "shipwrecked" at Castaway Cay!!!!!

On any future ship....make a better, bigger pool area....maybe an area with a retractable roof so you would be able to swim in inclement weather.....like the royal carribean ships. They are gorgeous pool areas!!

MJ

Hi:wave:

Although I have not been on a DCL cruise before, I have always wanted to go to WDW when there is not one single kid around that is under 21, no babies, no 20 somethings, and would like to see the same for DCL. That is a cruise for those 21 and over. Not 20 years, 11 months, 20 something days, but only a cruise or park days for those young enough to remember the MMC at 4pm after school? Leave all of them (kids under 21) at home get a baby sitter or something and leave them home. We would have the lab all to ourselves, all the crayons we wanted and ...... I'd book it, c'mon make it happen.

We did Topsiders a number of times for breakfast, and I would lilke to see a little more variety in the buffet line. Now, don't get me wrong, the buffet was great, but how about a few theme days!!!

One day could be a McDonalds day (there was one day I would have "killed" for an egg McMuffin kind of thing), another day "South of the Border" and I'm sure there are other options.

It seems to me (and spouse) that there must be lots of other options for creative breakfasts that you can do buffet style, other than just scrambled eggs, hash browns and sausage, and sti8ll keep everyone happy.

Yes, I did do the omlet one day, and that was nice if you didn't mind waiting in a long line for it (luckily I got there early).

We did a sit-down breakfast one day, and found the fare pretty standard as well, though the company was enjoyable (we like sitting with other cruisers). A little variety on the menu would be great.

Of course, being as we've only been on the one cruise, maybe we missed some of the variety available. So, your milage may vary.

There seems to be a lack of activites for older kids. I was traveling with extended family including little kids, but my brother and I found there wasnt much for us to do (17 and 20) For him most of the other teens were younger. We mostly ended up hanging with our parents or each other which was fine, but not really ideal. We were too old for most thing, but not old enough for others. They even strictly enforced the age at palos and ruined our nice family dinner when they rudely refused to let my brother in. I guess we were kind of the wrong age for a Disney cruise. I had a great time anyway, but its an area where it be improved.

Disney does things pretty darn well, but a few changes / additions might be:

Add a midnight buffet. Most definitely. Or at least a late evening one.

Add Ocho Rios, Jamaica to the western itinerary. This is a great port of call and I am amazed that Disney overlooks it.

"Free" sodas. Ok, nothin's free, so just raise the cruise price by $25 bucks. Since the mugs are $35, and certainly not everyone buys them, a $25 across-the-board increase will be even more profitable, and we can all think we're getting free sodas! So either give them out free in disposable cups, or charge $7-8 bucks for the refillable mugs... but not $35!!!

Re-think the disembarkation process at CC!! The packed-in swarm of people outside the elevators was downright unbearable. I saw a few people who were obviously borderline claustrophobic and they were near panic in a mob that big and jam-packed. We stood that way for 30-40 minutes and I couldn't help think there MUST be a better way. Gettin' off the ship at St. Maarten and St. Thomas certainly wasn't like that.

And finally, they should always, ALWAYS give free cruises to me! Cat. 2 suites, if you please. They should call me at home and ask if I'd like to come back on board, their treat. Oh, and they could also...

'Beano, wake up!!!' ;)

i wish they had something orginized for my age group. as a high school senior i found the common ground crowd too young, but the single mingle is more drinking age oriented (i mean, im not a single! lol, im a kid!). i think it would add a lot if they had something for 18-20 year olds. they dont have to have special activities, like they do for common grounds. they could have a get together the first night, and that way we could hang out the rest of the cruise and go to the clubs and the movies together. becuase i didnt meet anyone my age, i ended up going to the clubs with my parents. i had a great time, dont get me wrong, but it would be nice to be able to go to all of the stuff with kids my age. there were other kids like me onboard who were just hanging out with theyre parents, because we had no way to meet each other.

I wish that the adult's bed was located next to the verandah! Even though I believe there is a rule about keeping the verandah door closed at night, I would love to fall asleep to the sound of the crashing waves! Even if I didn't leave the door open at night, it would be much more convenient to get outside at night or in the early morning instead of trying to get around the bunkbeds and table! Anyone else agree?
Ann

Oh Ashley 24, you are soooo right about the misplacement of the adult bed! I would love to look at the stars at night and be able to slip out on the verandah in the wee hours for some private time.

Also, totally agree with Palo and Spa reservations being made at final payment time. BIG waste of time having to rush on board to go stand in line to TRY to get what you'd like. Can't afford Category 1,2 or 3 - so it's back in line time for me!

And I really, really wish the boarding pictures would be just of us rather than the people behind us in the background. I am sure the people in front of us really don't want us in their picture either!

What about getting the Navigator sooner so you can make your plans accordingly? I know there are people on these boards who post their Navigators but things change and I'd hate to miss a one time event for something that I could schedule around.

Also, I'd like to be able to hear the Noon Report from the Bridge - maybe they could put it on the TV for those of us who are unable to hear it clearly.

Just some thoughts!

Rae

BeanoC,
My Hubby and I were also wanting to cruise to Jamaica until we found out that the crime rate there is VERY HIGH!!!!! It is like #1 I wonder if that is why Disney doesn't cruise there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter