How would you make DCL even better?

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
My husband and I absolutely LOVED our first cruise experience and can't wait til number two. We definately have no complaints, but whenever we have a great experience we love to try to figure out how to make it even better. Here are some of the things we came up with, I'd love to hear what other people think might make the cruise even better than it is!

1) A personal navigator that is a REAL personal navigator. No clue how much this might cost to implement, but wouldn't it be great if you get a navigator that is really tailored for YOU rather than generic for the whole ship? It could tell you what reservations you have for that day, where you are eating dinner, what the attire for your dinner is etc. I must admit that we quickly lost track of what days were what on the Magic and missed our character breakfast. I am NEVER like that so it must mean I was more relaxed than I have been in a long time, which is a good thing. I would love it if every day the navigator told me what things were specific to me so I didn't miss them (palo reservations, spa reservations etc).

2) A soda mug program that is included with the cost of the ship. I know it's traditional for beverages to cost extra on cruises outside of meals on cruises, but I wish Disney would go above and beyond. I would rather them build it into the cost of the trip but make it invisible to the guest than have to be nickle and dimed. My husband and I just skipped getting soda mugs because of it and drank water instead (probably better for us anyway!) but I also sure wish they had lemonade on board! It's really the only fountain type drink that I like!

any other suggestions?

Lisa

I would love to be able to reserve Palo and Spa times after making the final cruise payment!

Would also enjoy being able to dine at any time in the evening. Having a particular restaurant assigned is fine but would like to walk in at our convenience whether it is at 6pm or 9pm or whatever.

1) OFFER TABLES FOR 2 IN THE DINING ROOMS!!!! As much as Im looking forward to my upcoming cruise, Im dreading the thought of not being able to dine alone with DH. We spend very little time alone and this is a very rare trip we are taking without the kids. Plus, Im very uncomfortable around strangers and I know I wont enjoy myself as much as I would if we were alone. (This is really bothering me if you couldnt tell.;) )

2)Be able to prebook Palo & Spa as soon as the final pymt is made. I think it gives everyone a fair shot, it makes embarkation day(1/3 of the cruise for some of us) a lot more relaxing, and you go into it knowing whether or not you are going to get what you want. There is no disappointment on the ship and no last minute switching of your plans, if you have to do a different night than you had hoped for. Yes,I am a planaholic so I would like to know what Im getting ahead of time.

Other than that I have no complaints! :)

Interestingly, Disney tried the concept of "personalized" Navigators when they first set sail, but it didn't last long. I don't know why, but I'd guess it was just too difficult. Same thing with the kiosks that would let you edit your photos (they had also originally planned to deliver the photos to your stateroom). I guess some things just sound easier in concept than in execution.
It would be nice to have the lemonade and fruit punch available at the 24 hour drink station. I do quite well making iced tea from the delicious flavored hot teas, but sometimes in the evening I don't want caffeine.
My only other suggestions are switch Mouseketeer to a different time and make another full-scale production number be the evening entertaiment in its place (it's okay, but it doesn't hold the kids' interest, and I miss seeing a production show), and bring back the improv comedy, a standup comedian, or something like that in place of dueling pianos. One time seeing that was enough for me (we used to shut down the improv every night...at least we get more sleep on our cruises now).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I'd really like MUCH more time on CastawayCay!!!

As a matter of fact, they cound sail to CC, tie up, and stay there for the whole 3 or 4 day cruise! :)

(Nassau was marginally interesting to me and Freeport not at all!) (I am not a shopper.)

this is really frivolous, but i thought of it imediately after i saw this thread. lol it would be great if there was popcorn for the buena vista theater! i know it prob. be messy but it just doesn't seem like the movies w/o popcorn! lol
thats not the only thing.. but thats it for now! :)

I've been on two Disney cruises -- so far. Meant to bring with me on the second, but forgot -- highlighter (as I saw suggested on tis board) to mark programs, etc. that I want to attend. You can personalize it that way. Insert a blank sheet to make notes for yourself for the day.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I may be odd man out here, but as an adult I would love to be able to participate in some of the activities like the kids get to do in the clubs. Making flubber, playing around with animation and sound effects sounds like fun (of course I'm a sucker for Disney Quest too). I would also like a Disney Institute cruise where there's a variety of more in depth classes to take. That and more time on Castaway are the only things I can think of to make the perfect vacation even better.:D

My husband and I just sailed on our second Wonder cruise in January and we had some ideas.

Would like to see another choice for dinner on the 3 and 4 night cruises besides room service or fast food if you don't want to stick to your assigned time in the restaurant - at Beach Blanket Buffet perhaps. We find it restrictive having to eat at a specific time and would like another option -OR- personal choice dining like Princess offers. This would also address the wishes of those who want to eat as a couple and not with a large group.

I'd like to see the 4 night cruise stop at Key West once the new 7 day Magic starts doing so. We had the day at sea and not Freeport - it was OK, but going around in circles off the coast of Miami seemed a bit silly to us.

Change the spa booking process so people can actually get them if you are not in concierge level rooms. I posted when we returned that I was unable to get a massage for either my husband or I on sea day and I was only the 5th person in line for the spa ressies. I can't imagine who is getting them if it isn't concierge rooms!

My .02 worth.

Nit picky little old me would love to see
1-a pool (like the adult pool) for a famliy pool. The 2 other pools are too small to do any swimming in.
2-the shows, menus, childrens programming, gifts for kids from the clubs , etc change every year. I know this would be very expensive and difficult to do but I have faith in Disney. Eveytime we go to WDW (which is about 2 or 3 times a year) things are different! That is part of the thrill for us.
3-I would love to pre-book Palo High Tea! i have only gotten it 1 out of 3 cruises! That would also be an incentive to pay before your final due date. Disney would love to get the interest on our $$ and it would be worth it to get what I want! I know- selfish selfish.
4-I would love if they went to different ports every year. I don't think we would have cruised DCL and gone on the Eastern AGAIN. By adding the Western- it cinched up our vacation plans for this year- Here we come on May 25, 2002!

I love most everything about DCL- these are just pipe dreams but hey- if you are going to dream- why not dream BIG!

I think you should be able to prebook Spa & Palo's after final payment is done also.

Kids gifts should be changed from yr to yr. (Especially as they know that a lot of kids are returning). It wouldn't cost them much, because they are buying in bulk and the T-Shirt is the easiest by just changing the color of it.

Would like to see a water slide added for adults to use too!

I think spending an extra day at CC would be great! It would cost them less fuel too!

There should be more characters on board (Winnie The Pooh and Gang, Toy Story, Bugs Life gang). There really isn't enough characters for boys and Toy Story and Bugs Life were huge Disney hits that they would be the perfect add ons!

Also, the characters should be on board interacting with the kids more (not just for photo's and autographs). When we stayed at AKL, they had their characters out interacting with the kids and parents. Its a lot nicer having photos of them playing than just standing side by side.

One more thing Midnight buffets everynight. I'm not a big eater, but would love to see that added like other cruise ships.

Hey, Mickey4Me, that sounds like a great idea!!
I have often told hubby that I am jealous of the kids doing fun activities like making flubber, going down the Mickey slide, etc. On our last cruise, we did the "Draw Mickey" class for the first time. We were the only childless adults there, but we had a blast!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

On our last cruise, we did the "Draw Mickey" class for the first time. We were the only childless adults there, but we had a blast!

Oh my goodness....DH and I drew Mickey at DQ a few years ago and ours ended up looking like Mickey's demented cousins. It was fun though! DH and I are usually the only adults with no kids at the family activities at Hilton Head DVC (cell painting, cake decorating, Goofy bingo, etc). Our dd is a teen and prefers the teen activities(go figure) so dh and I just participate sans children and have a blast. Wish I could pass myself off at a 10 year old for the kids cruise activities, but I'm afraid that wouldn't fly.:D

Great question! We just returned from the Magis 1/26 sailing and talked about this very thing.

1. The drink station is great, but something like lemonade or fruit punch would be wonderful.

2. Characters that were out more often. Our kids did not want to wait in long lines. If they were more available the lines would be shorter or non-existent.

3. More Characters at the breakfast. Only 2 characters made it to our table. We were table 35 back in the corner.

4. A larger pool for the family pool. A slide in this pool for the larger kids or kids at heart!

5. Take away the night stand on the bathroom side of the bed and make the toliet room larger by that size. A light can be mounted on the wall for the bed.

6. More adult oriented club acts in Beat Street. People get bored with what is offered and don't spend time and money here. One thought would be to move ESPN to where Dueling Pianos is and make it a huge Sports bar area. Make the old ESPN area a adult only area where kids would not slip into.

7. This one is from me CHOCOLATES every night. We only received chocolates on formal nights.

8. More things for familes with older kids to do together. Our kids felt they were too old, and were by far the oldest in several things.

9. A bingo card to buy and punch for a discount like a frequent shopper card.

10. All night food to include pizza, fries, hot dogs, hamburgers, something sweet like left over dessert from lunch and dinner. We talked to a Crew member who said that the dessert from lunch was destroyed.

Just a few of the things that we discussed while on board.

Diana

This is to Diana's comments - why are they getting stingy with the chocolates? Beleive it or not my DS8 and DD6 talked and talked about getting chocolate on their pillows every night when we cruised in Octobe, it was a big highlight. This cruise 1/19 we got a couple of chocolates every few nights. It's the little pleasures that add excitment! Where did nightly chocolates go????

maggie

There are some great suggestions already. Here are mine:
(some might be repeated, sorry)

1. Scoops would be open 24 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The hamburger and pizza would be open real late.
(can you tell we love the junk food?)

3. Have more "Disney" orineted things for adults; like characters for them to see also. I know that some characters are only found in the kids sections. I guess take the games and such in the childrens area and apply them to adults.

4. Fruit punch or lemonade at the drink station would be such an improvment!! It is nice now but that would make it wonderful!!

5. To be able to look at your excursion choices more than 2 weeks in advance. (last cruise was 1-01 so this might have changed)

6. Popcorn and drinks would be served before the movies in the theater.

Thats about it for now....................... Maybe Disney will read our ideas!!

Well, I'll add comments that I have put on DCL comment cards. :)

1) I think all the suites should be down one deck on any future ships. While it is convenient to only be one deck below Deck 9, I have been in TWO noisy Category 3 suites in different locations on Deck 8. Deck 7 only has staterooms above it, and I think the suites should be located there.

2) I would love to see some updates to the onboard programming. After seven Disney cruises I've done all of the different contests and game shows (Match Your Mate, Sailor's Tales, etc.) and I would love to see some changes made. I know it's hard to do often, but at least every two years would be great.

3) I'd also love to see the menus changed more often. I've had the same menus for quite a while now, with very little variation.

4) I LOVE Sessions (Cadillac Lounge on the Wonder) and would really enjoy it if they would make sure all the headphones and CD players were in working order. I'd also love it if they opened this lounge around 4:00 pm so I could enjoy a glass of wine and listen to music while it's still light outside and I can gaze at the ocean. Once the entertainment starts in the evening (and I enjoy that too) you can't listen to music and it's too dark to enjoy the view.

Overall there is very little I'd change with DCL. :) They do an amazing job and they most definitely DO LISTEN TO GUEST FEEDBACK...and they do read what we write here. :)

That's what makes them so special...they continually try to improve what they already do well.

Diana and Toby,
We cruised jan 13th and had chocolate's on the bed every night.

Also dessert, hotdogs, pizza, fries, cheesburgers, chickenstrips etc. can be ordered through room service 24 hours a day.

Originally posted by WebmasterMichelle
Overall there is very little I'd change with DCL. :) They do an amazing job and they most definitely DO LISTEN TO GUEST FEEDBACK...and they do read what we write here. :)

That's what makes them so special...they continually try to improve what they already do well.

I guess that's kind of why I wanted to start this thread. Who knows, maybe not EVERYTHING has occured to them and maybe they will get an idea or two? :)

I definately agree that there is very little that I'd change and frankly, if none of the things people suggest (and I agree with a lot of them) happen, I will still have an absolutely wonderful vacation on DCL.

I think that it's a true testament to how wonderful DCL is that people even care to think about such things. I've actually never gone to a marriott and tried to make minor design changes in my head to get in that extra 1% to make it perfect... it's just a place to sleep. The cruise was unlike any other experience I've ever had, though, and it really got us thinking!

Lisa

Just returned from the 1/26 cruise. Our second cruise. Our wish list: more Castaway Cay. We were let go off the ship around 9:30am and had to be back on board at 4:30pm. Not enough time for us, despite the fact that we live just 20 minutes from the beach. Disney is in absolute control of this and they could have at least docked real early or leave an hour late.
Regarding the Personal Navigators: What about a Palm application version of the Navigator, we could personalized anyway we want it.
Regarding the Soda: We control the amount of sugar we consume at home and abroad, so don't care about it. But, it would be nice the addition of pre-made unsweeted tea (or an ocassional frut punch) at the coffe station.
Regarding the Chocolates: We did found every night chocolotes in our pillows. I guess it had to do with our stateroom host, who at the end of the cruise was tipped ever more than our server. Interesting enough, the chocolates were not consumed due in part to our habit of not abusing the intake of sugar. Figure that out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter